Brexit - merged threads

scouser

42 minutes ago, poontang said:

If I were to have been the architect of such a petition of course I'd be happy to be seen. I'm sure there are plenty of petitioners who are real, and I'm sure that the petition is the largest there's been but it means absolutely nothing. If Jeremy Corbyn started a petition to have a general election next week I'm sure the numbers would dwarf the EU petition...but there would be no election. 

So, who is Ms Georgiadou?

I’m sure you might be a little hesitant if you were to receive the sort of threats against you and your family as this person ‘purportedly’ has.

People identifying you in the street to abuse/spit/intimidate you! Nope, I don’t think you would and neither would I.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Whist searching for images of Margaret Anne Georgiadou "I came across this"

SEI_57564998.jpg

These.........plural............

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

You know my excuse- what’s yours for being up so early

"im free"

54 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I’m sure you might be a little hesitant if you were to receive the sort of threats against you and your family as this person ‘purportedly’ has.

People identifying you in the street to abuse/spit/intimidate you! Nope, I don’t think you would and neither would I.

As far as I'm concerned it's no different to anyone else who's in the public eye, especially in something as divisive as Brexit. We can't all hide and suppress our opinions for the fear of being targeted by a few nutters, so yes, I would happily stand on a public platform and give my opinion. 

1 hour ago, poontang said:

So, who is Ms Georgiadou?

Maybe it's an anagram? Possibly someone who works for Blair Corbyn or even May?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Whist searching for images of Margaret Anne Georgiadou "I came across this"

You dirty old man.

12 hours ago, oowee said:

I also read that the woman that created the Brexit petition has had death threats against her. The same for Anna Soubery having to stay away from home. Unbelievable, despicable behavior. There is something wrong with people when they rile against the democratic process and the free speech that we hold so important.

It starts with slagging off and using derisory terms and moves on to hate speech and then death threats. What is wrong with these people?

According to yesterdays Telegraph the petitions creator Margaret Georgiadou had joked about killing the PM and shooting Brexiteers with impunity on her Facebook account.

What goes around comes around.

On 22/03/2019 at 10:04, NoBodyImportant said:

I still don’t understand why the EU has to agree with you guys leaving.  

Simple, we sent spineless negotiators and as a country our politicians have always given away every advantage that we had to others, in he name of fair play and Britishness of course.

On 22/03/2019 at 11:19, oowee said:

If the vote had been to stay there is no reason why at anytime after another vote to leave could not be held. Just like the Scot ref. It's still democracy and we are all the better for it. The debate and discussion might be to no end but it does act like a lag on process that stops / reduces some political stupidity. In my view we need more consensus politics. 

The fact is that our representative democracy does not deal well with direct democracy. 

Maybe the representatives will not like the direct democracy dealt our at the ballot boxes next time around?

1 hour ago, poontang said:

As far as I'm concerned it's no different to anyone else who's in the public eye, especially in something as divisive as Brexit. We can't all hide and suppress our opinions for the fear of being targeted by a few nutters, so yes, I would happily stand on a public platform and give my opinion. 

This. 

14 hours ago, oowee said:

I also read that the woman that created the Brexit petition has had death threats against her. The same for Anna Soubery having to stay away from home. Unbelievable, despicable behavior. There is something wrong with people when they rile against the democratic process and the free speech that we hold so important.

It starts with slagging off and using derisory terms and moves on to hate speech and then death threats. What is wrong with these people?

I interpret it as being those standing up for what is right against those that are actively working to replace right with wrong! The age old fight between good and evil!.......support democracy (leave) equals good.....trying to usurp democracy (remain) equals evil!

We are all responsible for our actions and there is always a price to pay...........people have different ideas as to what that price is!

For example, If you are physically attacked do you run, turn the other cheek, defend yourself or go on the offensive?

You’ve got to have the courage of your convictions I believe. If you’re afraid of showing yourself for fear of ridicule, confrontation, or worse, then how is anyone supposed to take you seriously? 

Mounting a campaign on social media is a doddle; standing up in public to do the same is a totally different matter. 

Trying to undermine and overturn the democratic process is bound to rile people. 

I think both sides have had threats levelled against them by various nut jobs including Farage.

Apparently Farage wasn't too fazed by the death threats but was outraged by the suggestion that he should actually see something through to the finish.

Joking aside it's pretty repugnant stuff where faceless people start threatening home on MPs and their families.

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think both sides have had threats levelled against them by various nut jobs including Farage.

Apparently Farage wasn't too fazed by the death threats but was outraged by the suggestion that he should actually see something through to the finish.

Joking aside it's pretty repugnant stuff where faceless people start threatening home on MPs and their families.

Couldn't agree more, no excuse for it. 

Earlier today I received two fb requests from friends asking me to sign a petition to revoke article 50 and stop Brexit. 

I have asked both of them if that is how they think democracy should work, and if they would like to see the democratic process ignored  by overturning the result of the vote.

It’s been at least six hours now and haven’t heard from either of them. Both are normally very quick to respond. 

Around two years ago I received something similar from an aquintance and asked her the very same question. She never replied, but did have the decency to look very sheepish when I next saw her in the street. She does her best to avoid me nowadays. 

Yes...there was an e-petition of a very similar nature shortly after the referendum result. 

Edited by Scully

Obviously death threats and threats of violence are completely unacceptable, but Anne Soubry is an odious cow. Her constituency voted Leave yet instead of representing their wishes as an MP should do, she is doing the complete opposite and very loudly too. 

She's changed parties, yet seems unwilling to have a by-election because she knows she will be out of a job. She's got the cheek to call for resignations but she hasn't got the decency to do so herself.

I'm sure Broxtowe didn't vote her in personally, but her party. Now she isn't in that party, she should let someone who respects their constituency have a go.

Soubry, this isn't about YOU so get over yourself. Hopefully the next by-election will see you on the dole. 

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

jesus .................i cant stop ;looking at them knockers boy.......................taken the sting out ofth the dread

(co-op is gon down well)

Rather like your local Co-Op, didn’t see Sarah there last Thursday either!

Think Vorderman might be a bit too intellectual for you :-), but guess your not interested in that part of her

3 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Rather like your local Co-Op, didn’t see Sarah there last Thursday either!

Think Vorderman might be a bit too intellectual for you :-), but guess your not interested in that part of her

What would they talk about?:lol: