Time to arm all police officers?

washerboy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's time we had more armed police and they should all wear bullet proof vest not stab jackets. When I was a kid coppers never hesitated to pull out the truncheons and Wade in with them.  Cannot remember last time I saw a baton in a coppers hand.

You catch a burglar in your house it should be law that you batter them to sausage meat, if you don't you get your wrist slapped for defending what's yours. Old people and women should be allowed to shoot them.  Far too many criminals are armed theses days, more legally held firearms could restore the Ballance. As for tighter laws for criminals we already have them but the courts are not handing them out.

4 minutes ago, figgy said:

I think it's time we had more armed police and they should all wear bullet proof vest not stab jackets.

It’s a big trade off between stab and ballistic vests. 

ballistic vests by their make up are heavy and restrictive  and not ideal for day to day wear in a standard role. Stab vests on the other hand are more flexible and lighter whilst carrying limited ballistic protection to the level you would probably encounter day to day 

Just now, ph5172 said:

He didn’t shoot him did he?

He did with a taser if he had a firearm who knows

59 minutes ago, old'un said:

Seems he was killed by being dragged along the road underneath a car, 26 and recently married and was due to go on his honeymoon next week, feel for his young wife, his family and friends, lets hope this scum get what they deserve.

This happened to my wife's cousin and two friends here in pontnewydd about 12 yrs ago he purposely ran over them 

Personally I feel every officer should be taser trained and it should be mandatory to carry one also accompanied by a body camera. I would also like to see the shotgun taser out in good numbers across all forces to give officers that stand off option with taser deployment.

If officers don`t meet the grade then out for their own safety. Its great people want to be police officers but the important thing is that they get to return home safe and in one piece to their family and loved ones. In order to do this they need to be equipped correctly, trained to use their equipment and physically able to look after themselves a bit.

Living in a rose tinted world sadly continues costing lives and leaving lasting effects on others. The number of assaults on police is unacceptable. 

Also prison sentences need to be over hauled and more prisons need to be built. 

In addition to this yes I would like to see at least double the armed police about and also more legal protection for Armed officers. 

Am fed up of folk saying about the american officers being a bad example and not wanting the UK to end up like the USA. I don`t for one minute think the UK can be compared to the USA like that. Look at the likes of: Ireland (N&S), Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium and Holland etc who have an armed police force, they don`t have the issues of America with police shootings so why would we !  

10 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

Personally I feel every officer should be taser trained and it should be mandatory to carry one also accompanied by a body camera. I would also like to see the shotgun taser out in good numbers across all forces to give officers that stand off option with taser deployment.

If officers don`t meet the grade then out for their own safety. Its great people want to be police officers but the important thing is that they get to return home safe and in one piece to their family and loved ones. In order to do this they need to be equipped correctly, trained to use their equipment and physically able to look after themselves a bit.

Living in a rose tinted world sadly continues costing lives and leaving lasting effects on others. The number of assaults on police is unacceptable. 

Also prison sentences need to be over hauled and more prisons need to be built. 

In addition to this yes I would like to see at least double the armed police about and also more legal protection for Armed officers. 

Am fed up of folk saying about the american officers being a bad example and not wanting the UK to end up like the USA. I don`t for one minute think the UK can be compared to the USA like that. Look at the likes of: Ireland (N&S), Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium and Holland etc who have an armed police force, they don`t have the issues of America with police shootings so why would we !  

I don't think we would (at the moment) but I'm not sure that I would like to see all police armed. I have very little dealings with the police but it seams to me that they have become more combative and less respectful (possibly with good cause) but it doesn't help them when dealing with the general law abiding public 

Yes they should all be armed, forget all the usual some won't like being armed etc ( tough don't like it resign) to expensive ( wrong cheaper that driver training) and all the other excuses. The fact is they could all be armed, some people and politicians are clinging to this unarmed policing with consent nonsense.  The fact is that a UK police force has being armed on and off duty for the last 60 years or so with out all the things / concerns people are posting being a issue. 

Give the police the authority they had years ago, they could batter detritus out of the little scrotes with a baton or whatever they are issued with. 

All that they can do now is tell them of and then get a load of verbal abuse or in this case allot worse. 

Police no longer have the respect,and the scrotes have no fear of punishment.   

The scrotes are now all becoming 3rd generation pedigree scrotes so the chance of stopping this problem increasing requires a cull. I say arm them all, dump them on a deserted island and leave them to it. 

+ 1

because of the poor quality of intake of police....and the resulting beat officers....who are (many of them) i would describe as thick and inept................arming all police would be a grave mistake...........more ARU's would be they way to go first and take it from there.........so sooner or later on a team of beat officers there would always be one armed officer....

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is a very sad thing - but I don't think arming police is the right answer.  Possibly more armed police might help, but to have every policeman armed and with suitable training etc. is too much.  Carrying arms is a huge responsibility - and one many police may not want.

In my view, MUCH tougher sentences and making the risk of getting caught - and the resultant punishment a very strong deterrent is the way to go.

My view of the situation.

20 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Give the police the authority they had years ago, they could batter detritus out of the little scrotes with a baton or whatever they are issued with. 

All that they can do now is tell them of and then get a load of verbal abuse or in this case allot worse. 

Police no longer have the respect,and the scrotes have no fear of punishment.   

The scrotes are now all becoming 3rd generation pedigree scrotes so the chance of stopping this problem increasing requires a cull. I say arm them all, dump them on a deserted island and leave them to it. 

I’m not really sure the police ever had the authority to ‘batter  scrotes’ or anyone else, and nor should they have. 

I do however, believe it is past the time when the police were armed as a matter of course. We are at a point in society now where the police can’t even protect themselves ( yes, I’m aware in this instance it probably wouldn’t have mattered ) let alone members of the public. 

I also believe that every law abiding person should have the right and the choice to a practical and effective means with which to defend themselves. 

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

because of the poor quality of intake of police....and the resulting beat officers....who are (many of them) i would describe as thick and inept................arming all police would be a grave mistake...........more ARU's would be they way to go first and take it from there.........so sooner or later on a team of beat officers there would always be one armed officer....

Not anymore. It’s a thinking mans game now. One force not long ago would only accept applications from people with degrees. 

Funnily enough a lot of people who are degree level educated don’t want to start on 19k a year, be a punch bag and be blamed for every wrong choice made 100 years ago and every wrong choice that will be made by people you never know. 

Being degree educated doesn’t stop you from being inept at life - I know if one who lived 40 minutes away who got a hotel 20 mins closer to a force HQ so they were not late to an afternoon assessment - funnily enough passed with flying colours. 

You then get a streetwise lad who would make a bloody good copper but can’t even apply because he doesn’t have a degree or equivalent because he didn’t spend his time reading books constantly and went out and experienced life. 

I think you will find that is the issue now

I agree with many of the comments here, not all police should be armed, BUT the number of armed police should be massively increased. Also if the police shoot someone who was up to no good they should not then face punishment the way the soldiers of old are. On-top of this the court system, & the old age judges who have lost touch with reality should be replaced & harder sentences past, & even the death penalty in some cases.

We need the deterrent back to make people think before committing crimes.

37 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

Not anymore. It’s a thinking mans game now. One force not long ago would only accept applications from people with degrees. 

Funnily enough a lot of people who are degree level educated don’t want to start on 19k a year, be a punch bag and be blamed for every wrong choice made 100 years ago and every wrong choice that will be made by people you never know. 

Being degree educated doesn’t stop you from being inept at life - I know if one who lived 40 minutes away who got a hotel 20 mins closer to a force HQ so they were not late to an afternoon assessment - funnily enough passed with flying colours. 

You then get a streetwise lad who would make a bloody good copper but can’t even apply because he doesn’t have a degree or equivalent because he didn’t spend his time reading books constantly and went out and experienced life. 

I think you will find that is the issue now

well said ......i would have gone on to say exactly the same thing..:good:

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Are you saying the police in the rest of the UK are thicker more inept than the police in Northern Ireland and most European countries where the police are armed. ?