Time to arm all police officers?

washerboy

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

because of the poor quality of intake of police....and the resulting beat officers....who are (many of them) i would describe as thick and inept................arming all police would be a grave mistake...........more ARU's would be they way to go first and take it from there.........so sooner or later on a team of beat officers there would always be one armed officer....

I believe this comment is a little harsh. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Arm them with Tasers, guns are a little excessive. Ultimately, most police officers don't want armed.  But a taser, is like a bigger batton.  

What if the guy you want to use a taser on is pointing a firearm at you, tasers have their uses but are no good if a terrorist etc has a firearm they should be armed with both. PS It would be cheaper to arm them with firearms, for people that are concerned by the cost. 

PSNI.  Initial firearms’ training is 15 days and the estimated individual cost per officer is £1,300.

PSNI. The initial purchase price for a Glock 17 was £410.This does not include any ancillary equipment holsters, belts, ammunition etc. The firearms are serviced twice a year. Cost of servicing cannot be estimated as every firearm requires different parts / time taken to service.

Police forces are moving to a new Taser model, the X2. It costs about £1,500, and is three times more expensive than a Glock handgun.

Edited by ordnance

6 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Simple answer is NO.

Whilst every death is a tradgedy (and those who commited the offense should be severely punished), arming all the poilice will not stop them being killed.

Given the very low number of officers killed in the UK, (and excluding being run over or terrorists), an actual police officer killing is very rare and 1 death being shot by a firearm every 3 years is not a good enough reason for all police to carry when there are circa 130,000 police officers int he UK.

I thought it wasn’t common until the other day . The national abouretam has loads on the wall. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

well said ......i would have gone on to say exactly the same thing..:good:

Someone very close to me failed by 1% last year and this year has gone for it again but now told her she needs higher grades and to go to uni or college. She can’t enter it.

funny she’s out as a special on duty as I write this . Same rules, same everything but without pay. 

Shes driving and arresting and trying her hardest to become a REG. 

I personally feel they should be a special for let’s say 200 hours and be allowed to enter the regs. They are no different.

her sergeant failed the REG course the other day but he’s a sergeant ???  In control. 

The questions involved are zero to do with police work. 

1 minute ago, team tractor said:

Someone very close to me failed by 1% last year and this year has gone for it again but now told her she needs higher grades and to go to uni or college. She can’t enter it.

funny she’s out as a special on duty as I write this . Same rules, same everything but without pay. 

Shes driving and arresting and trying her hardest to become a REG. 

I personally feel they should be a special for let’s say 200 hours and be allowed to enter the regs. They are no different.

her sergeant failed the REG course the other day but he’s a sergeant   In control. 

The questions involved are zero to do with police work. 

there is something terribly wrong about all this.................

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there is something terribly wrong about all this.................

2 passed the initial test and then both failed out of 25 I think it was.

i had to drive her to Durham at 4 1/2 hours each way with a 6 hour assessment between. 

They never tested fitness or anything but just ridiculous maths tests that I showed my accounts and they were stumped on parts. 

Scored 100% on communication. Surely that’s important 

Edited by team tractor

You have to be careful. What’s good for the goose will be good for the gander. Shall we arm all police? Shall we bring back capital punishment? What we need to take into consideration is the future dynamic, such as who will control the future. At the moment there a certain belief group in the UK that is outbreeding the indigenous population by 7 to 1. In six generations the UK will be totally different ethnicity. My good pal from Alabama, who is Afro Caribbean has said in the past, “ If you want to see change, give every black fella in Alabama a gun. You’ll see change”. 

25 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

You have to be careful. What’s good for the goose will be good for the gander. Shall we arm all police? Shall we bring back capital punishment? What we need to take into consideration is the future dynamic, such as who will control the future. At the moment there a certain belief group in the UK that is outbreeding the indigenous population by 7 to 1. In six generations the UK will be totally different ethnicity. My good pal from Alabama, who is Afro Caribbean has said in the past, “ If you want to see change, give every black fella in Alabama a gun. You’ll see change”. 

oouch........

alright ...most of you will call me an ole leg gasser....or worse...............

the police of my childhood were big.......knarled.....very smart....they moved slowly like a big cat....they pulled yer leg.....clipped you round the ear when you were doing something wrong...and took yer fags and matches away.........

but above all..........folk didnt mess them about.....there was a great deal of respect for them

and that will never be achieved with the degree toting snowflake intake of today

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

alright ...most of you will call me an ole leg gasser....or worse...............

the police of my childhood were big.......knarled.....very smart....they moved slowly like a big cat....they pulled yer leg.....clipped you round the ear when you were doing something wrong...and took yer fags and matches away.........

but above all..........folk didnt mess them about.....there was a great deal of respect for them

and that will never be achieved with the degree toting snowflake intake of today

They also used to stitch some people up and a good kicking in the cells was fairly common.Some of those officers you say commanded respect didn't really, they ruled by fear, there's a difference.

Most Police are good people and do a very good job, they are restricted by the orders given from above.

11 hours ago, The Wickerman said:

I agree with many of the comments here, not all police should be armed, BUT the number of armed police should be massively increased. Also if the police shoot someone who was up to no good they should not then face punishment the way the soldiers of old are. On-top of this the court system, & the old age judges who have lost touch with reality should be replaced & harder sentences past, & even the death penalty in some cases.

We need the deterrent back to make people think before committing crimes.

In America they got the death penalty it don't stop them committing crimes 

8 hours ago, welsh1 said:

They also used to stitch some people up and a good kicking in the cells was fairly common.Some of those officers you say commanded respect didn't really, they ruled by fear, there's a difference.

Most Police are good people and do a very good job, they are restricted by the orders given from above.

As for a kicking in the cells i had one of these in my youth and also they tried to stitch me up and  it wasn't just a clip around the ear as some say   

Edited by Rim Fire

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

In America they got the death penalty it don't stop them committing crimes 

It stops them reoffending when released. 🙂

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

As for a kicking in the cells i had one of these in my youth and also they tried to stitch me up and  it wasn't just a clip around the ear as some say   

I didn’t get the kicking in the cells, but they did attempt to stitch me up after I complained ( became a major pain in the bum ) when they did just that to a mate. The 1970’s were such a laugh. Things were so much better in the past? Were they ********! 😀

19 hours ago, Stonepark said:

From 1999 to 2019, 17 have died either by being runover or in vehicle crashes, 6 have been shot, 4 stabbed, 1 beaten, 4 collapsed and 1 by misadventure -Total 33 over 20 years.

From 1979 to 1998, 19 by vehicles, 16 shot, 13 stabbed, 5 beaten, 7 collapsed, 5 by misadventure and 4 by bombs Total over 20 years  - 69.

From 58 to 78,  14 by vehicles, 17 shot, 5 stabbed, 5 beaten, 7 collapsed, 3 by misadventure, 1 by bomb, total 52.

From 38 to 58, 6 by vehicles, 11 shot, 1 stabbed, 8 beaten, 4 collapsed, total of 32.

From 18 to 37 7 by vehicles, 8 shot, 7 beaten, 3 by misadventure toatl 25.

From 1900 to 1917 11 shot, 2 stabbed, 12 beaten, 12 collapsed, 3 by misadvanture total 40.

Police deaths have therefore halved overall recently with numbers being shot (main reason for potentially carrying a gun) at lowest record levels for a 20 year period since 1900.

Thanks for this. The facts are always a good reference point!

I read that police are now concerned for the safety of the victims of the burglary which Andrew Harper (the dead officer) was attending  because they feel they will be targeted/intimidated by the friends and associates of the 'criminal gang' who committed the burglary.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7366713/Fears-reprisals-burglary-victims-PC-Andrew-Harper-tragedy.html

What sort of society allows innocent people to fear, be intimidated by or be afraid of reprisals from 'a criminal gang' when they are the innocent victims of a criminal act?.......the only answer is to "up the stakes" start by reintroducing corporal and capital punishment.......plus violent criminals serve the full sentence given.....no early release no parole!

16 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

What sort of society allows innocent people to fear, be intimidated by or be afraid of reprisals from 'a criminal gang' when they are the innocent victims of a criminal act?.......the only answer is to "up the stakes" start by reintroducing corporal and capital punishment.......plus violent criminals serve the full sentence given.....no early release no parole!

A society that is run by "snowflakes" people who think the perpetrator is of more use to the world than they think of the victims!

5 hours ago, Scully said:

It stops them reoffending when released. 🙂

I didn’t get the kicking in the cells, but they did attempt to stitch me up after I complained ( became a major pain in the bum ) when they did just that to a mate. The 1970’s were such a laugh. Things were so much better in the past? Were they ********! 😀

I had to go to hospital