Some soles from sole bay

Whitebridges

I had a good nights fishing under a full moon last night. Fished old boy metal booms on a three hook paternoster (hook size 4) close in the gutter at about 25 yards out.

Successful bait was ragworm. It was a late night and the birds were singing as i opened the house door on my return home. I'll leave them a day or so before grilling them and basting in butter. Great eating sole. :good: The largest was 34cm long.

sswold33.jpg 

sswold1.jpg

sswold2.jpg

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

What a sensible thing to do on an August night. was it harbour, white or king rag. Many would have overcast and gone home without a fine meal. good stuff 

T'was a lovely still evening after a stormy sea over the weekend, so plenty of colour in the water. Mix of harbour and king rag. Fished it for years and short casts win every time on this beach for soles.  

Edited by Whitebridges

17 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

T'was a lovely still evening after a stormy sea over the weekend, so plenty of colour in the water. Mix of harbour and king rag. Fished it for years and short casts win every time on this beach for soles.  

hello, you get my fishy feet tingling saying that ha ha, i caught my best bass in a force 6 gale, when you go again, report please,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you get my fishy toes tingling saying that ha ha, i caught my best bass in a force 6 gale, when you go again, report please,

Beaufort describes Force 6 as a "Strong Breeze" :lol: Living where i live i fish quite a bit so yes i'll post OPP. I'm feeling flattered. :beer:   

1 minute ago, Whitebridges said:

Beaufort describes Force 6 as a "Strong Breeze"  Living where i live i fish quite a bit so yes i'll post OPP. I'm feeling flattered. :beer:   

hello, oh well it nearly blew my friend and i off the West Bay Harbour wall, then we had to drop the rod down and net it off the beach, 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have seen people catch these and flounders on carp or pike type rods, just need to use the right hook tackle for flatties, 

Ive heard they put up a good fight on light gear. a carp rod would be ideal for the distance whitebridges is fishing,

5 hours ago, henry d said:

Nice one, never caught one or fished for them. Can they be caught with lighter tackle than the usual beach gear?

Certainly but the conditions need to be right. On this beach i'd go as light as a barbel / chub rod. For small hooks are best, size 4/6 and three inches of rag lug. 2-3 oz rolling lead. If using light line use a leader of say 20-25lb bs.      

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Ive heard they put up a good fight on light gear. a carp rod would be ideal for the distance whitebridges is fishing,

Sometimes they can really scrap. I caught one at 42cm that was a muscle machine.  

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

hello, i always used a 4 oz spiky lead weight on my beach caster but was casting 40/60 yards or more that is with a heavy front leader to a 20llb main line,  but with a pike rod and  3llb test curve and 2 oz weight should do easy 20/25 yards, with say 15 llb line,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 16/08/2019 at 23:37, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i always used a 4 oz spiky lead weight on my beach caster but was casting 40/60 yards or more that is with a heavy front leader to a 20llb main line,  but with a pike rod and  3llb test curve and 2 oz weight should do easy 20/25 yards, with say 15 llb line,  

70yds easy with 2oz, 3lb tc and 0.35 line (nominal 15lb bs).

No doubt everyone has heard of haddock and some might even know what a piddock is. A link.

Heaven knows what it's like there now - come on, there's even a car park for Crow Point. The mouth of the pill - in this case, a "pill" is a noun, not a name - was a renowned hot spot for this fish. Just one guess what the local name for it was.