Fly fishing

Mungler

Okay, so it's been some years since I was last fly fishing and it wasn't something I ever did much of - I've been about half a dozen times. However, I would add that I loved it, but I had to leave it alone given that I had my hands full with a young family, work and a whole load of other hobbies. I knew where the limits to my marriage were and adding days out for fishing to the list would have been a bridge too far.

However, time moves on and I have room to manoeuvre and I would like to edge myself into some fly fishing perhaps starting with a guided day somewhere.

Any ideas, views or guidance from the PW massive most welcome.

Chigborough Fishery at Heybridge, Maldon would be a good bet. What, 40-45 minutes from your area?

https://www.chigboroughfarm.co.uk/new-page-5

https://www.chigboroughfarm.co.uk/tuition

Or Hanningfield.

https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/go-fishing.aspx

Norton Fishery out Abridge way.

http://www.nortonfishery.com/

Thornwood, Epping.

https://www.thornwoodsprings.com/

15 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Okay, so it's been some years since I was last fly fishing and it wasn't something I ever did much of - I've been about half a dozen times. However, I would add that I loved it, but I had to leave it alone given that I had my hands full with a young family, work and a whole load of other hobbies. I knew where the limits to my marriage were and adding days out for fishing to the list would have been a bridge too far.

However, time moves on and I have room to manoeuvre and I would like to edge myself into some fly fishing perhaps starting with a guided day somewhere.

Any ideas, views or guidance from the PW massive most welcome.

hello, there are some good trout fishing in your area, they may have a guide or instructor, do you have a trout fishing gear ? i know its a fair way but if you fancy a go on Farmoor reservoir near Oxford, happy to give you some time and help,  cheers    

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I'd like to suggest Mungler, it's wise to think about the sort of fly fishing which appeals most. There is a huge variety of forms on offer all requiring different "kit" in the form of rods, line types and weights, reels, flies and attire.

Maybe think a little about:

1. Rivers or stillwater, reservoirs such as rutland etc are very different from stock ponds. 2. wild fish or stockfish  3. salmon, sea trout, rainbow trout 4. wild brown river trout, 5. sea fish such as bass etc. etc. 6. bank or boat. 7. Bonefish and tarpon in foreign climes?   etc.etc.....the list is endless..

Maybe you just want to get hooked up and see how it feels then decide on your preferences ?  Fly fishing can be very damaging to the bank account ! It's worse than a fixation with shooting. 

Good luck and have many happy days.             

I would agree with starting with a small still water in your area. Most are friendly affairs in my experience and more than happy to help and encourage newbies. Don’t though under estimate the addictive nature of fly fishing as fifty years on I am still accumulating stuff! There is plenty of good secondhand gear about and it doesn’t need to cost a fortune initially.

good luck

As above.

I believe it's best to get good tuition at the start you have a better chance of buying something that is not suitable for what you want to try. Fly tying is fun but takes an inordinate amount of time from you, when you can buy good flies direct from good fly tiers

I’ve had a day on a reservoir and enjoyed it, but a day on a river bank is better - my first intro to fly fishing was a day’s tuition on the Test and so I got spoilt. 

However everything so far has been turn up, put the vest on, grab a rod and off you go. I’ve no proper knowledge of the kit / set up to go it alone.

I think I’ll plumb in for the day’s tuition in Maldon (above link - thank you P) and try and get as many answers / wisdom as I can.

cheers all! 

PS

I bought a whole load of fly kit off someone on here in anticipation of this moment - that was pre a house move so I’ll get looking now 😝

Remember that the rod/reel/line combination for use on most, with the possible exception of the smallest of rivers,  is perfectly adequate for a small stocked fishery too. I too would advocate at least 1 lesson where you can put your questions to, what is hoped, is an experienced angler/Instructor. 

If you migrate to fly tying (fly dressing to the purists) you could find it quite satisfying to catch fish on flies you created. But be warned, even more bits and bobs to spend money on and requiring somewhere to store it........!!

5 hours ago, Bobba said:

If you migrate to fly tying (fly dressing to the purists) you could find it quite satisfying to catch fish on flies you created. But be warned, even more bits and bobs to spend money on and requiring somewhere to store it........!!

I doubt Mungler would ever contemplate tying his own flies if his views are similar to reloading his own bullets. 😂

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

I’ll wait for retirement for that 😆

Otherwise life is too short for that nonsense 😝

As with homeloading cartridges and successfully shooting your intended quarry, catching Trout, Seatrout and Salmon on your home tied flies and/or home made lures adds another dimension and extra enjoyment to your fishing!

As for fly fishing lessons, as long as you can cast (that's like riding a bike, you never forget!) there is no need! I used to practice in the meadow behind my house!......... And if you can tie on a fly (hook) you can catch pond Trout! You can get plenty of tips and knowhow from a book!.........We all learn from practice and experience....just get out an do it!

hello, my  home made black gnat was used to catch my first river trout, your right panoma 1 once you know the basics its only a matter of practice, i taught  my son and two friends starting  with a double taper line progressing to weight forward, its just a matter of timing and rhythm, cheers

I've had more entertainment watching some fishermen in a boat casting on Foremark res than actually catching anything myself. 

You see them standing in a boat putting as much effort into trying to cast to the other side of the Res, than it takes to bench press 250kg,  the boats rocking like a fair ground ride, you'd think their going to need that buoyancy vest their have on. 

The question is always asked. 

How far do you need to cast? 

17 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I've had more entertainment watching some fishermen in a boat casting on Foremark res than actually catching anything myself. 

You see them standing in a boat putting as much effort into trying to cast to the other side of the Res, than it takes to bench press 250kg,  the boats rocking like a fair ground ride, you'd think their going to need that buoyancy vest their have on. 

The question is always asked. 

How far do you need to cast? 

Not far if your shortlining from a drifting boat! Or parked in the middle of a rise! But some anglers use the boat at anchor, as a casting platform, to fish lures, sunk line, long and deep!

57 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Not far if your shortlining from a drifting boat! Or parked in the middle of a rise! But some anglers use the boat at anchor, as a casting platform, to fish lures, sunk line, long and deep!

BUT, that is NOT fly fishing. 

Teasing a size 17 under a overhanging willow to just the right spot to pass over a rising fish and present it with no drag and not a slightest surface disturbance, is.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Teasing a size 17 under a overhanging willow to just the right spot to pass over a rising fish and present it with no drag and not a slightest surface disturbance, is.

Thats the difference between river and reservoir fishing. Casting a dry fly just in front of a nice wild brownie. 

Reservoir is mostly chuck and wish, figure of 8 or erratic retrieve.   

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I beg to differ! Using a  flyline to load a fly rod in order to cast a imitation fly is flyfishing!......casting a double hook fly with a flying treble across and downstream at night for sea trout or casting a 1 1/2" waddington fly across and down for Salmon are both flyfishing, as is river and small stream dryfly or nymphing with a short rod and a light line........if an angler wants to restrict himself to one form of flyfishing that's fine but to claim it is the only way is plain wrong!

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I beg to differ! Using a  flyline to load a fly rod in order to cast a imitation fly is flyfishing!......casting a double hook fly with a flying treble across and downstream at night for sea trout or casting a 1 1/2" waddington fly across and down for Salmon are both flyfishing, as is river and small stream dryfly or nymphing with a short rod and a light line........if an angler wants to restrict himself to one form of flyfishing that's fine but to claim it is the only way is plain wrong!

Yessss....just a wind up:yes: ...  lighten up.  I've been there and even chucked the original lead lined sinking lines back in the sixties, that if you got the cast wrong would come up from behind and give you concussion:lol:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yessss....just a wind up:yes: ...  lighten up.  I've been there and even chucked the original lead lined sinking lines back in the sixties, that if you got the cast wrong would come up from behind and give you concussion:lol:

Believe me Nev, I have come across plenty of the "I only fish dri fli" purists! And the "I only use fly" type of Salmon angler......so far up their own backsides it's almost funny!

14 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Believe me Nev, I have come across plenty of the "I only fish dri fli" purists! And the "I only use fly" type of Salmon angler......so far up their own backsides it's almost funny!

Don't worry, there is always ultra light fly fishers (like myself), using 7ft 1 wts, size 20 flies (nymphs and dries) on 2lb tippet and landing 3lb sea trout to keep the purists and double and  treble hook chukkers in line..... 🤣