Fly fishing

Mungler

2 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Don't worry, there is always ultra light fly fishers (like myself), using 7ft 1 wts, size 20 flies (nymphs and dries) on 2lb tippet and landing 3lb sea trout to keep the purists and double and  treble hook chukkers in line..... 🤣

Nymphs?? Tut tut! :no: The "dri fli" purists would be appalled!

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Don't worry, there is always ultra light fly fishers (like myself), using 7ft 1 wts, size 20 flies (nymphs and dries) on 2lb tippet and landing 3lb sea trout to keep the purists and double and  treble hook chukkers in line..... 🤣

7ft now why such a long rod?  My light as a feather 5 1/2 ft cane rod dwarfs it.  I do throw a #2 line though.  My one pleasure in any fly fishing is stalking a rising fish with this litle rod and planning how I can get a fly in the right spot. NOW, preventing drag with a five and a half foot rod is a challenge.   I have also sat on Foremark, Rutland, Grafham you name it and dragged the lures. The only such fishing which beat all was drifting a Loch on North Uist, looking for the lighter patches of water where the area suddenly wnt shallow and the wild semi sea run browns lurked and you might just get a shock as i did when what appeared on the line was a fair sized pollack.  Now that's fishing.  Teal blue and silver or a Mallard and Claret round about size 10 or 12.   Flew back that year...1972 in a Viking having taken off from the beach on Benbecula and the pilot flew at low altitude and called out the sights as we went. The crew didn't turn a hair at the box of nice fat trout I took on board to take back to Solihull.  If I remember correctly, they referred to them as slob trout certainly not an appropriate name as they where delicious.

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

7ft now why such a long rod?  My light as a feather 5 1/2 ft cane rod dwarfs it.  I do throw a #2 line though.  My one pleasure in any fly fishing is stalking a rising fish with this litle rod and planning how I can get a fly in the right spot. NOW, preventing drag with a five and a half foot rod is a challenge.   I have also sat on Foremark, Rutland, Grafham you name it and dragged the lures. The only such fishing which beat all was drifting a Loch on North Uist, looking for the lighter patches of water where the area suddenly wnt shallow and the wild semi sea run browns lurked and you might just get a shock as i did when what appeared on the line was a fair sized pollack.  Now that's fishing.  Teal blue and silver or a Mallard and Claret round about size 10 or 12.   Flew back that year...1972 in a Viking having taken off from the beach on Benbecula and the pilot flew at low altitude and called out the sights as we went. The crew didn't turn a hair at the box of nice fat trout I took on board to take back to Solihull.  If I remember correctly, they referred to them as slob trout certainly not an appropriate name as they where delicious.

Years ago I fished loch Currane in the far West of Ireland, it was a magical place, I remember standing on the roadbridge, just up from Butlers pool (between the bridge and the ocean!) watching the school 'White trout' shoals (and the odd big seatrout) running up into the loch! I have spent many an hour drifting, downwind in a boat shortlining a team of flies.......and rising (and occasionally catching) Trout, Seatrout and the odd Salmon, we used to troll a lure behind the boat when moving from one area to another....which also produced some nice fish!..........but it was no place for the faint hearted, I'm a non swimmer, and Currane lies right on (within a few hundred yards) the Atlantic coast, so the wind can get up in the blink of an eye! I well remember traversing the wind, with waves coming over the side, and watching the boat quickly filling with water, whilst we were trying to carefully run for the moorings..........a truly sphincter shrinking experience!