ginn

Saltings

hi guys  have got some blackberry / gooseberry and rhubarb Ginn on the go already ,  all from last years picked and  frozen ,       going  to do some fresh  strawberry , raspberry, slow. damson,    blackcurrant and blueberry  also,  any other flavour ideas  as being used as gifts to land owners and spouses  also work clients and spouses  , any natural fruit  flavour  would be helpful  for x mas this year or next  don't want to do a blend  fruits 

Try and get your hands on a few bullace plums and add a double handful of soft dark sugar and a couple of litres of vodka. Daily shake for a week and then let it settle for a month or two.

Makes a very nice drink and goes well with prosecco on shoot days for elevensies.   Pear vodka also very nice.  I rarely use gin these days as I prefer vodka, whisky, brandy or white rum.

The soft dark brown sugar gives it a nice golden colour.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, harkom said:

After the sloe gin has matured and been drained from the sloe sediment+pips, this can be re-used and works well with dry sherry. And if this needs to be "beefed" up in alc.% .... try adding some straight Polish spirit. (NB -NOT spirit based polish).

Haven't tried this. I've done sloe port before. Add red wine, and fortify with brandy. 

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:03, Mr_Nobody said:

Throw the raspberries in some whiskey, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

going to try raspberry and whiskey recipe 👍  just got some ripe local plumbs today  tomorrow Ginn plumbs and some sugar    the rest of the sugar  to be added  in a month or two  by x mass should be good 

• 1 month later...

Just been reading back though old posts about making gin , whisky , vodka  etc and thought with the abundance of berries and such I would have a go myself . So have done . sloe gin ,damson rum and gin and a blackberry whisky . And can’t wait though I see a lot of people rate the vodka with raspberry, blackberries etc so tempted to give that a go . Hardest part now is leaving them for the required time though I’ve read you can decant the blackberry whisky after 6 weeks so going to try that and leave the rest till just before Christmas. Hoping it will be a success as already frozen more blackberry, sloe and damsons for more just the alcohol is so darn expensive!!! 

I am new to all this........started a couple of months ago

so far

blueberry gin

raspberry gin.....both filtered and bottled now

Presently on the go

gin     Lemon and ginger

gin.       Orange and chilli 

gin  blackberry/Cherry/blackcurrant

vodka.     Blueberries recycled from the gin

I  am sort of 'winging it' but it seems to be working so far. The first 2 are nice enough to quaff just with ice

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2019 at 18:36, Diver One said:

I am new to all this........started a couple of months ago

so far

blueberry gin

raspberry gin.....both filtered and bottled now

Presently on the go

gin     Lemon and ginger

gin.       Orange and chilli 

gin  blackberry/Cherry/blackcurrant

vodka.     Blueberries recycled from the gin

I  am sort of 'winging it' but it seems to be working so far. The first 2 are nice enough to quaff just with ice

Some interesting ideas on there, especially adding spices. I'd be interested in hearing how those come out. A mate once made blackberry and apple gin. That was very nice

I've done blueberry vodka. Can't say I was too impressed, not a strong enough flavour for me. The same with strawberry vodka.

I managed to pick about 7.5 kg of sloes this week so as well as gin and vodka I think some sloe whiskey and brandy will be on the cards too.  

Just strained the summer fruit concoction ......used the fruit in a fruit crumble

removed the recycled blueberries from the Vodka as they were looking a little anaemia and replaced with new ones. Used the old blueberries in some lidl Finne Carre plain chocolate 🍫.  Excellent result

strained off the chilli and  orange. Binned the fruit. The drink is lip numbingly good

Two bars of Aldi dark chocolate, some freshly picked hazel nuts, shelled and roasted 180 for about 30mins,  damazenes removed from the vodka and chopped into small pieces.

Put the roasted hazel nuts and the chopped damazenes in the bottom of a plastic container nicely spread out, then melt the chocolate in a saucepan placed in a larger saucepan with hot water in it. The chocolate will melt quickly but not burn and you then just pour this over the nuts and fruit. Let it stand for a while and then place on the lowest shelf in your refrigerator overnight. Next morning it will be hard enough that you can gently flex the container, turn it upside down and tap it out.   AWESOME!!

To remove the skins from the hazel nuts, have a drying up cloth laid out and put the nuts on that and then fold each side across, covering them and then with flat of hand just roll them about. The skin will come off and you can shake it from the cloth.  A couple of descriptions of this on youtube.

Of course you can use bought hazel nuts but we have our own very good supply of Kentish Cobs in the orchard.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Diver One said:

strained off the chilli and  orange. Binned the fruit. The drink is lip numbingly good

Okay I'm sold, have to give that a try.

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Two bars of Aldi dark chocolate, some freshly picked hazel nuts, shelled and roasted 180 for about 30mins,  damazenes removed from the vodka and chopped into small pieces.

Put the roasted hazel nuts and the chopped damazenes in the bottom of a plastic container nicely spread out, then melt the chocolate in a saucepan placed in a larger saucepan with hot water in it. The chocolate will melt quickly but not burn and you then just pour this over the nuts and fruit. Let it stand for a while and then place on the lowest shelf in your refrigerator overnight. Next morning it will be hard enough that you can gently flex the container, turn it upside down and tap it out.   AWESOME!!

To remove the skins from the hazel nuts, have a drying up cloth laid out and put the nuts on that and then fold each side across, covering them and then with flat of hand just roll them about. The skin will come off and you can shake it from the cloth.  A couple of descriptions of this on youtube.

Of course you can use bought hazel nuts but we have our own very good supply of Kentish Cobs in the orchard.

I'm confused, where does the alcohol come into this? :D

Although I was considering hazelnut vodka/gin. Anyone ever tried using nuts?

9 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Loads of fruit and sugar did the trick for me - I've got a massive sweet tooth which probably doesn't help!!

Ah, I'm not a fan of my concoctions being too sweet, that's why I usually add the sugar after a couple of months. That way I can gauge how much sweetness the fruit sugars have already added.