gl goose shooting

Saltings

ok,  how many guys who have  shot geese under gl over decoys as crop protection /health and safety  etc       are now in a couple of weeks going to shoot geese legally   given they have full plumage no longer sitting on eggs or feeding fledglings    up until the end of the shooting season,  and put some food on the table,  (not having a go just really interested  given debates throughout the offseason )  are the geese still going to be culled/ harvested  within the shooting season ,      again not having a go just trying to understand  why shoot in the summer months  if numbers are depleted enough in the shooting season and end up on the table 

I've been asked to sort a Canada problem again but it's going to have to wait until the tourist season dies off a bit as its on a campsite. 

I would have done some more earlier in the year but have been off shooting for a while now. 

I see all the comments 'it's not sportsman like blah blah' but at the end of the day like alot of other I'm not doing it for sport, it's pest control. If I don't do it they will have someone else in who will. 

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Fairly obviously, the geese (in some areas anyway) aren't sufficiently reduced in number in the shooting season  to make culling under the general licence unneccesary.

David.

One way to to stop geese being put on the General Licence is to be able to sell them on to a dealer , this day and age you can sell Pigeons , Rabbits , Wildfowl ( ducks ) and all type of game including Woodcock , so why not geese , we know they are becoming a problem , that is why some of the species went on the GL in the first place .

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

One way to to stop geese being put on the General Licence is to be able to sell them on to a dealer , this day and age you can sell Pigeons , Rabbits , Wildfowl ( ducks ) and all type of game including Woodcock , so why not geese , we know they are becoming a problem , that is why some of the species went on the GL in the first place .

That's far too sensible MM.....whilst the game laws and seasons are separate and not an issue, control measures (currently the general licence) need to be in place, where appropriate, to control the numbers of problem species (or when a particular species becomes a problem) I too believe anything edible thus harvested should be marketed. If the numbers of these problem species fall to an unsustainable level, they should be taken out of control measures, when numbers recover they should go back in! No one would want any species persecuted out of existence (non native and invasive species excepted) but when numbers a particular species get to a point where they impact negatively on humans interests or "at risk" species'.....then control measures become neccesary!

Is this not how wildlife management and conservation should work?

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

Your first sentence sums it all up though doesn't it, as an invasive speccies Canada's surely shouldn't be on the licence anyway, surely they are on par with the grey? 

There was talk last year, or the year before maybe? Of DEFRA putting Greylags on General licence too!

18 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

There was talk last year, or the year before maybe? Of DEFRA putting Greylags on General licence too!

I can't say I recall seeing it, I suppose it's the same as the rest of life, too many people in positions of power making ill informed decisions about things that have no direct or indirect consequences to themselves. 

I know for definite there are permanent greys on the same perm the Canada's and they make just as much mess. There's also a pond one field over from where I shoot that has resident ones too. Do occasionally get them on the fields but I think my distance from the coast maybe something to do with it. 

I haven't done any wildfowling so all my interactions with geese have purely been for pest control, still it's important to keep an eye on numbers. 

ok I do have a personal dilemma re any game specie being shot in the off season breeding season ,  if harvested heavily in the shooting season and still have problems,    to be taken out under gl  I am ok with that ,    however if not harvested at all  in the shooting  season I do have a problem with out of season shooting however if the meat is not wasted I am ok ,   sorry just don't waste a food resource  , I grew up in an era we did not waste any food resource at all  ,  and now hate supermarkets as if you don't use within a day or two its going bad be that meat or veggies not to mention fruit  

Edited by Saltings

figgy I understand worked on a  construction project on a chicken farm two year out of date re badged  for human consumption if frozen properly no issue  root veg etc another matter 1/3 edible 2/3 in the bin  (too much food waste one pack in 12 multi pack damaged the rest is waste  ok 11 are ok and edible  

I have the luxury to choose kill it cook it eat it be it pigeon pheasant grouse ptarmigan  goose duck rabbit hare snipe woodcock etc  / lamb or beef goat from the butcher / not to mention fish   I consider myself fortunate to have a choice / as others do not ,   maybe Brexit will produce a better quality home grown seasonal  produce  rather than tasteless fruit and veg from overseas 

Edited by Saltings

On 17/08/2019 at 10:47, marsh man said:

I’d be loathed for that to happen although I appreciate the idea. I know a couple of people who will go down and shoot well into the double figures plus of birds if the conditions are right and this would only encourage even bigger bags.

7 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

I’d be loathed for that to happen although I appreciate the idea. I know a couple of people who will go down and shoot well into the double figures plus of birds if the conditions are right and this would only encourage even bigger bags.

How can the general public get the chance to sample a wild goose , or a species of goose that are already on the G L ? , unless they know a fowler who can shoot the odd one they have no chance whatsoever of ever tasting one.

Is there really that much difference in selling a wild duck than a wild goose ? , you will always  get the odd one who will exploit it and that also happen with duck , but at the end of the day I would sooner see a few geese sold on during what we would class as the normal season ( 1st Sept till either the last day of Jan or the 20th Feb ) than to have numbers get out of hand and let anybody with a piece of paper be allowed to shoot then all the year year round because they leave droppings on a golf course ect .  

47 minutes ago, marsh man said:

shoot then all the year year round because they leave droppings on a golf course ect . 

Odd isn't it, that to shoot a pigeon you have to prove that it is or is going to do damage to a commercial crop.But droppings on a golf course is sufficient reason to kill a noble bird like a Canada goose out of season.Is this just another case of the urban sprawl dictating what goes on in the countryside. Farmers are rich and can afford to feed the wildlife with their crops but goose droppings on the clubhouse carpet from shoes or even worse on the carpet of my shiny car is totally unacceptable.

55 minutes ago, marsh man said:

How can the general public get the chance to sample a wild goose , or a species of goose that are already on the G L ? , unless they know a fowler who can shoot the odd one they have no chance whatsoever of ever tasting one.

Is there really that much difference in selling a wild duck than a wild goose ? , you will always  get the odd one who will exploit it and that also happen with duck , but at the end of the day I would sooner see a few geese sold on during what we would class as the normal season ( 1st Sept till either the last day of Jan or the 20th Feb ) than to have numbers get out of hand and let anybody with a piece of paper be allowed to shoot then all the year year round because they leave droppings on a golf course ect .  

I totally get what your saying and it’s a nice idea. But it’s much harder to bag up on wild duck and I don’t know anyone that actually sells their ducks shot on the shore,(commercial shoots sure).

Theres folk that will happily shoot 16 plus geese to a single flight when the pinks first come in and that’s in a situation where you can’t sell them. That definitely won’t improve things if there’s a value on them.

Just opinions though. Totally see both sides of it

3 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

I totally get what your saying and it’s a nice idea. But it’s much harder to bag up on wild duck and I don’t know anyone that actually sells their ducks shot on the shore,(commercial shoots sure).

Theres folk that will happily shoot 16 plus geese to a single flight when the pinks first come in and that’s in a situation where you can’t sell them. That definitely won’t improve things if there’s a value on them.

Just opinions though. Totally see both sides of it

I can't vouch for individual's and I dare say shooting that sort of numbers go on . but in both our local clubs we have restrictions to stop that sort of thing , or at least try and stop it , the club I am in allow four in a day and no more than six a week , there are odd times where the restriction is lifted due to the geese doing damage to the crops , this only involve flighting as no decoying on crops fields are allowed , this is only on club land and don't apply shooting over your own land .

Going slightly off thread , if any bird should be banned from being sold then surely the Woodcock should be considered .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I can't vouch for individual's and I dare say shooting that sort of numbers go on . but in both our local clubs we have restrictions to stop that sort of thing , or at least try and stop it , the club I am in allow four in a day and no more than six a week , there are odd times where the restriction is lifted due to the geese doing damage to the crops , this only involve flighting as no decoying on crops fields are allowed , this is only on club land and don't apply shooting over your own land .

Going slightly off thread , if any bird should be banned from being sold then surely the Woodcock should be considered .

Interesting to hear how other clubs are run!

(I’ve heard woodcock are actually fairly decent money. I’ve never had the heart to sell them though. Plus they’re too tasty).

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Nothing should be banned! It is up to all shooters to use self control/self regulation, whenever something is banned, for whatever reason, we never get it back!......