Night storage heaters?

bluesj

Hi guys and girls, swmbo has decided she no longer wants a nice cool bedroom this winter so I think its time to replace the heaters 1 in the bed room, 1 in the living room and maybe 1 at the bottom of the stairs. My question is what should I be going for, high heat retention storage heaters, fan storage heaters, smart storage heaters, panel heaters or some thing else? Any body got any experience of any of them?

Storage heaters are the work of the devil and will,only be of any use if you have economy 7/white meter/split tarrif. They charge up at night by warming a load of bricks inside then let the heat out during the following day. If it's mild the following day you are stuck with a tin can full of hot bricks

also all storage heaters sold now have to comply with a new regulation and cost a fortune ....google LOT 20

just saying

4 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Storage heaters are the work of the devil and will,only be of any use if you have economy 7/white meter/split tarrif. They charge up at night by warming a load of bricks inside then let the heat out during the following day. If it's mild the following day you are stuck with a tin can full of hot bricks

also all storage heaters sold now have to comply with a new regulation and cost a fortune ....google LOT 20

just saying

+1

The most cost effective and controlable heating system is water fed radiators  -  If you can put up with a little mess I would go this way plus there are numerous ways to supply heat to the water.

Looked in to having gas some time ago but the cost and more the fact that they said the meter had to go outside on the side of the house meant we wouldn't be able to get a car down the side of the house. so the easiest option is to replace the storage heaters.

5 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Looked in to having gas some time ago but the cost and more the fact that they said the meter had to go outside on the side of the house meant we wouldn't be able to get a car down the side of the house. so the easiest option is to replace the storage heaters.

look in to Oil or Ground source heat pump if gas a no no, forget solid fuel though, and you will re-coupe  the extra outlay fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a large number of brick radiators replaced with Ronite ones. They are not cheap and personally would go for a cheaper generic brand along the same design

They are fully timer and thermostatic controlled with an ‘economy’ mode limiting the temperature to 20 degrees 

our bills have been cut by 2/3 according to our last energy circular 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2019 at 16:31, bluesj said:

Not sure which gas networks you have you can purchase recessed cavity boxes for gas that fit into your cavity any builder can do and providing the resesed box is sealed so any gas escape cannot enter cavity perfectly acceptable but I would ask your network if they would run a pe pipe and service into one before purchasing and fitting some new build still have them as part of design.

I sell woodburners and electric radiators and the ones we sell are very popular. no they are not cheap but are a viable option against wet central heating. very small installation cost and no servicing. I have one customer (a farmer) who had some for himself, then some for his daughters house then some for the village hall.   https://www.electrorad.co.uk/aeroflow-radiators  have a look and see what you think.

Well, I am going back to the 60s and 70s and just a bit intothe 80s and we had storage heaters fitted in our police house.  They worked back then to my memory and didn't cost a fortune to run.

We had a large electric bar fire as back up.    Cannot remember having an issue and they must have improved.    Having been to half a dozen gas explosions in domestic properties  in my service time. I wouldn't put gas anywhere near my home.  OK, I know he chances are slim, but when that stuff goes bang there is rarely anything to call a home left.

Year's ago I was taking to a chap who worked for eastern electricity board and he was trialing a wet storage heating system in his own home. It comprised of an electric storage heat boiler (which weighed around 1.5 tons and was airing cupboard sized) and piping and radiators in each room. He said it was extremely economical. But I've never heard of them since.

Have a look at Fischer products .As our house is all electric and had the old ducted warm air system ,no gas in the village and did not want to go to the expense ,mess and plain inconvenience of the installation of oil tanks boilers and piping we went for these .After the survey they were fitted in 1/2 a day . Still Use the immersion heater on economy 7 in a well insulated tank so a hour and a quarter does all the hot water we need most days 

Not the cheapest to run but comparing the cost of installing a hot water system  it was the best option for us .

6 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Have a look at Fischer products .As our house is all electric and had the old ducted warm air system ,no gas in the village and did not want to go to the expense ,mess and plain inconvenience of the installation of oil tanks boilers and piping we went for these .After the survey they were fitted in 1/2 a day . Still Use the immersion heater on economy 7 in a well insulated tank so a hour and a quarter does all the hot water we need most days 

Not the cheapest to run but comparing the cost of installing a hot water system  it was the best option for us .

hello, who is your energy supplier with the Fischer heaters? 

Currently with EDL but am looking into alternates as it is time for an annual review .Been in the house two years ,electric cost was underestimated year one so higher years two .Only had the new Fischer heaters installed end March so not able to give direct comparisons  new/old as to previous years .As the old system failed January and had to use alternate room heaters this last year will not be true usage cost .This coming year will give  better comparison to our previous houses bills .

I reckoned  even if it cost £200 pa  more to run it would be economic over 15 years set against the cost of installing a full oil/gas fired hot water system.