Chickens

welshwarrior

We've got shed loads, just had a bantam hatch off 10 chicks. You simply cannot top having your own eggs. 

We've had ex battery hens in the past, feels nice to give them a decent life. 

Edit to say I believe we started off with a handful of light Sussex, they were good layers. 

Edited by Farmboy91

I like the look of the Orpingtons. Not got any at the moment, mostly Light Sussex with a few Leghorns plus some other I can't remember. We also took in 8 or 10 ex-battery hens some in better condition than others, and two nearly bald. It is something to see these birds going out of the house for the first time and freaking when they walk on grass for the first time. They are eggcellent layers and very friendly.

Edited by rimfire4969

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:56, Farmboy91 said:

We've got shed loads, just had a bantam hatch off 10 chicks. You simply cannot top having your own eggs. 

We've had ex battery hens in the past, feels nice to give them a decent life. 

Edit to say I believe we started off with a handful of light Sussex, they were good layers. 

You can top it, my neighbour gives me his 😁😁 my kids feed them but there not eating all my garden. Amazes me where they will get, great to watch.

I've given up with the chickens. Charlie has caused too much destruction, too many times.

I certainly agree about the quality of eggs they lay - and that's not necessarily breed dependent - provided they eat quality feed and can rummage in the soil, you'll fine nothing to beat them in the shops. The yolks mine produced were almost luminous and tasted fantastic. Made a difference not just to a fried egg but also to HRH's cakes and other cooking.

I'd encourage anyone to give it a go provided you have sufficient room for them. I see those small arks and wonder whether they are actually much better than battery cages. 

The best bit of British aid i have seen in my decades in Africa was..........

The British govt sent a Hatcher/incubatur and a couple of guys and 5000 Rode island red eggs over to Uganda.........they hatched out the eggs....reared the hens to eat...and made the offer to all folk in the bush ...to bring their African cockrels in and they would be slaughtered and given in return 2 Rode Island red cockrels FOC........

within one year the size of the chickens from the bush doubled in size as the Reds carried very dominant jeans.......and within 2 years most of the chickens all looked like rode islands

now that is effective aid...

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

The best bit of British aid i have seen in my decades in Africa was..........

The British govt sent a Hatcher/incubatur and a couple of guys and 5000 Rode island red eggs over to Uganda.........they hatched out the eggs....reared the hens to eat...and made the offer to all folk in the bush ...to bring their African cockrels in and they would be slaughtered and given in return 2 Rode Island red cockrels FOC........

within one year the size of the chickens from the bush doubled in size as the Reds carried very dominant jeans.......and within 2 years most of the chickens all looked like rode islands

now that is effective aid...

That’s one of the best ideas and sensible foreign aid 👍

Not had buffs but have had rhode island reds and they were a good bird, speckled mirans have been great for the last 5 or so years and laid almost every day. 

There's loads of rhode crosses like bluebells (lovely birds) and black star (I think that's what it's called ) that also lay well and are decent. 

For shear egg numbers then the x battery hens are great and will lay well for some time, growing their feathers back as they do so. Just feed them good stuff and let them wander about the garden. 

Everybody other day mine roam as they please, anymore than that and they get pooy bums.

When these go I'll give it a rest for a bit but so far I've had them between 4 and 6 years depending on the bird and they do make good eggs. 

My only real advice is avoid those with feathered feet as it can sometimes  be a pain when the ground is wet and muddy. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

Not had buffs but have had rhode island reds and they were a good bird, speckled mirans have been great for the last 5 or so years and laid almost every day. 

There's loads of rhode crosses like bluebells (lovely birds) and black star (I think that's what it's called ) that also lay well and are decent. 

For shear egg numbers then the x battery hens are great and will lay well for some time, growing their feathers back as they do so. Just feed them good stuff and let them wander about the garden. 

Everybody other day mine roam as they please, anymore than that and they get pooy bums.

When these go I'll give it a rest for a bit but so far I've had them between 4 and 6 years depending on the bird and they do make good eggs. 

My only real advice is avoid those with feathered feet as it can sometimes  be a pain when the ground is wet and muddy. 

my neighbor used to do that........used to let them out for 3 hours every day.........he never had a problem with slugs or snails.....didnt let them out all day as they can start to do some damage...a little bit and often...............the eggs he gave me were mouth watering.......always boiled them so i could get the full flavour..

Early spring when plants are small they can be a pain as they have feet like super effective shovels and will strip ground to dirt in seconds. Once the plants are 6 inches or so they do no real harm. In the winter they are a benefit and save time clearing flower beds.

Slugs and snail (or anything else they can eat including frogs, nice and small snakes!) Soon go. Eggs  to die for but you soon get "egged in" and give them away. Or sell them 50p for 6 but I want the box back. Pays for themselves easily.