Now my other son is getting ripped off !

Vince Green

What is it about my family at the moment?

My oldest son and his wife are moving on Friday. All sorted out, removal company booked, quoted £800 for the move which has been accepted. Today the removal company phoned to say they have been offered a better job for Friday now, price is going up to £1400 or they are going to cancel.

What on earth is this world coming to? I just dispair

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's totally out of order by that company moving is stressful enough....

I'd tell them to stick it and try and find another company or man and a van or hire a 7.5 tonner and do it myself with friends/family help.

Either way I'd leave a very bad review on google etc explaining exactly what they've done !! What a disgrace !!!

7 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I would remind them that they had a contract, and if they wish to break that contract then your son will be issuing court proceedings for a breech of said contract.

I would push this, as well as state that the cost of a replacement company will be included in expenses. 

10 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I would remind them that they had a contract, and if they wish to break that contract then your son will be issuing court proceedings for a breech of said contract.

Their written quote has "this is not a binding agreement and is offered for guidance only without prejustice" in the VERY small print,  but you don't read that' when you think its all going to be above board. I wonder now whether it was always going to be a sting. 

Edited by Vince Green

21 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Their written quote has "this is not a binding agreement and is offered for guidance only without prejustice" in the VERY small print,  but you don't read that' when you think its all going to be above board. I wonder now whether it was always going to be a sting. 

After the written quote did your son contact them and accept the quote, and did they agree to then do a removal at the cost quoted?

A quote is one thing, an agreement is another thing entirely.

Maybe get the advice off a solicitor as to where they stand

Me being a bit of a horrible xxxxxxx when I feel like I'm being had over , I would agree to pay the £1,400 , I'd then get someone else in to do it , when the rip off company turned up on Friday,  I'd just say , sorry , but we didn't have a binding agreement. 

Thats a poor trick.Say nothing at the moment and hit the phones hard looking for a better deal,either for a company or some lads and a van/truck. if that fails then you may still have the rip off merchants, there is a chance they may be bluffing.

Edited by Rupert

Loads of man in a van around. 

My mate is 2 hours away and would drive down for that. Genuinely.

is it an all day job ? Or more? 

Are you going far ? 

Their is 2 of them . Would that do ? 

If your on Facebook their is loads of local lads doing this on your local groups. We have spotted Tamworth.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Me being a bit of a horrible xxxxxxx when I feel like I'm being had over , I would agree to pay the £1,400 , I'd then get someone else in to do it , when the rip off company turned up on Friday,  I'd just say , sorry , but we didn't have a binding agreement. 

+1

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

+2

can't believe that?? It seems crazy and they probably do it every week and get away with it.

At this late stage they probably know you don't want anything going wrong, but hit the phones bound to be someone else available, I'd rather drive a few hours to pick up a Luton for the weekend than get bent over.

We moved from the midlands to wales one of my sons and a relative used a Luton van no problem they took van back with them job done.

I would definitely have a good look round for a van hire company even if out of Bristol 

Mel B could you not nip down with your wagon and do the job with the lads for a drink 🤣

Edited by snow white