Sports fans

SuperGoose75

It is obvious that there is a fair few sports fans on this forum. From boxing,tennis,cricket,rugby and football, although I often see footballers taking a bashing for their theatrics on the field.

If you like cricket or tennis and are at a loose end tomorrow afternoon then I would invite you to tune into Sky Sports from 2.30pm for the build up and then the 3.30pm "throw in" of the biggest day in the Irish sporting calendar (The All Ireland Hurling Final)  what you will witness is a packed out Croke Park with 82,300 spectators there to witness what I and many others would describe as the greatest game in the world. You will witness two amateur teams putting everything on the line and will see guts,passion and untold skills and all for the pride of their County Jersey and the chance to climb the steps of the Hogan Stand and lift the Liam McCarthy cup.

If any of you do decide to watch what will sure to be a thrilling game from start to finish then I would be interested in your thoughts on the game itself. Although I do like football I often find it hard to sit for 90plus minutes especially after I have watched a game of hurling.  Do yourself a favour and tune into watch these tough as nails men play the ancient sport of the fastest ball game in the world.

Edited by SuperGoose75

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Worked with some Irish that played Hurling. Looked like they enjoyed hammering their own fingers, had some right deformed digits. Hard game only for the fit.

Are you sure that wasn't some "Fen Men" playing some form of Hockey? Lol

Seriously though this is like Hockey on steroids! I'll be on the rockey road to Dublin here soon. Cant wait and hope I leave this rain behind when we leave the hills.

49 minutes ago, figgy said:

Definitely Hurling, the company had its own team. Lads were from Wexford and Dublin.

I never doubted you for a minute figgy.It was a joke although maybe in poor taste. The game is played throughout the world and is gaining in popularity.

Wexford are unlucky not to be in today's final. They had the semi final near won and were 4points up with 5mins left on the clock but Tipperary showed some dogged spirit "even with a man sent off" and broke Wexford hearts with a mighty comeback. This game is so fast it can change in the blink of an eye.

Somehow Kilkenny have made the final  also after defeating last year's winners and the much fancied Limerick side. It promises to be a cracker today. I'm off as I have a 4hour drive to get there and my 7yr old Son is in for a big surprise as he doesn't know I have a ticket for him. They are like gold dust. He thinks he is going to watch it in a pub with his mother and sister like they did last year whilst I was lucky enough to get a ticket.

• 11 months later...

So as the Pigeon Watch massive, did not show much interest in the game of hurling, I thought I'd share this footage of a very British chap and his "hottie" wife, showing themselves to be very good sports by partaking in, and having fun, in the games of the Gaels, whilst on their recent visit to Ireland a few months back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgThuiqbeP0      

Edited by SuperGoose75