7.5 or 8

TRINITY

Oh, one of the "eternal" questions!

I shot an 80 at the last 100 ESP Reg with some of the Hull Cartridge "Vantage" that they make for Orston Shooting Ground, I use the 7 1/2 and pay £186 a thousand.

They shoot very cleanly, throw a great pattern through 3/4 and Full and coped with every target that was presented.

I presume your next question will be about choking!

Nearest cartridge supplier to me refuses to stock anything beyond 7.5 his philosophy is, if they break them at 60yds they will break them at 20 yards.

Then I have seen guys with several different cartridges doing a round and  more often than not different cartridge in each barrel.

Must admit i find 7.5 ok even at 24gm. I was wondering if I was missing a trick.

Thanks for your replies so far

My speciality is Sporting and for that discipline at least it's perfectly possible to accurately answer this question using logic and mathematical probabilities.

Based on factual experience we know that targets are frequently broken to smithereens using 8's at the kind of ranges many would have you believe you need 6.5's !! We know also that world and domestic championships have been won using that shot size and logic says these events would have featured a few eye watering targets. We also know that to date nobody has stepped forward to a) demonstrate that they can tell 7.5's from 8's in a blind test and b) break a target with 7.5's and fail to break it with 8's (again in a blind test). Therefore logic says 8's are a damn good compromise. In certain situations 7.5's and even 7's would be the wiser choice. 

Now for the mathematical/statistical part : 28g of English 8's typically contain 48-50 extra pellets compared to 7.5's, per shot fired is bad (good) enough until you realise that over the course of a full round you would have thrown almost an extra 5000 pellets towards your targets. If you always centre your shots at all ranges (impossible) then you won't enjoy the benefits but others will. 

Guest cookoff013

i shot some silly targets years ago with some pretty decent shells. they were RC2 24g #9 through full and full. and i whole heartedly believe.

were i to make a mild adjustment i would even shoot 28 grams all day long if i had to. in 9s there is alot of pellets there. 

infact, when i designed some shells eons ago, those rc2s still give me fond memories. they were the shell to have at some point in time.

Edited by cookoff013

I use 8s for almost everything and only use. 7.5s for stuff that is a long way out, but that is because the wad in those squibs are designed to hold out to a distance.  If i could get the same wad in an squib loaded with 8s I would use them.

At the recent world fitasc at churchills I shot with a spaniard who finished 5th I think, he shot 8s for the vast majority of the comp.  Maybe used 7s on 15 targets at most and some of them were a long way out.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

amber carts, my mate used some and they were smoking the clays. We said they suit you, he didn't look impressed. Nothing we shot that day would you know he used 24g and we used 28g

Ive been trying to get them locally for ages, I wanted to be able to use something soft enough for both the o/u and sxs. 

High lodge do their own Eley 24g 8 but they are a tad expensive.