Jag or alfa...

Farmboy91

Going to chop my golf between now and next springish, and I've narrowed it down to these two. 

Jag would be the 2.0 R sport diesel 

Alfa would be the 2.2 speciale 

Both auto 

Ive driven both and don't think I'd be disappointed with either, I don't think the alfa will do the mpg the jag will, certainly seemed that way on the test drives. 

Anyone own either? What are the like to live with? 

22 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I know nowt about the above 2 vehicles, but if I was in your shoes I would enquire about the price for servicing them, also price spare parts etc. I take it they would have to be serviced at the dealers.

I know the jag comes in at just shy of £500 for a service, buts that's every two years so it's not that much more than the golf. 

47 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I know nowt about the above 2 vehicles, but if I was in your shoes I would enquire about the price for servicing them, also price spare parts etc. I take it they would have to be serviced at the dealers.

Billy, you must be thinking of the dealership at Pinnaclehill, who seem to be spending money like it was going out of fashion.   They will surely need to charge a lot for everything, to recoup the expenditure on their new car palace. 

24 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I know the jag comes in at just shy of £500 for a service, buts that's every two years so it's not that much more than the golf. 

Are you happy with 2-year service intervals?   

3 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Billy, you must be thinking of the dealership at Pinnaclehill, who seem to be spending money like it was going out of fashion.   They will surely need to charge a lot for everything, to recoup the expenditure on their new car palace. 

aye yer right

I'd go Alpha, lovely to.look at and a drivers car.

Wife wants a Alpha stelvio or Giulia next, had a Jag, drove a few different models as courtesy cars when mine was in the stealers, mainly XF models as the XE was awkward to get in and out of. If your of an age where you've give up on driving pleasure and want, something as fun and involving as a milk float buy the Jag. 

1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

Well if the car comes jaguar used approved it comes with 2 a year warranty so if there's any service related issues in that time it's going to be covered, I suppose it's no different to anywhere else, you have to go with the manufacturer to a certain extent. My tdi golf has only done 9000 or so since the last service and they are hassling me to book it in. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I'd go Alpha, lovely to.look at and a drivers car.

Wife wants a Alpha stelvio or Giulia next, had a Jag, drove a few different models as courtesy cars when mine was in the stealers, mainly XF models as the XE was awkward to get in and out of. If your of an age where you've give up on driving pleasure and want, something as fun and involving as a milk float buy the Jag. 

I think by far the alfa is the better looking car, I had a 159 ti tbi and that gave me the bug for alfa's big time. 

With the state of the roads and how much traffic is about, I gave up on buying anything remotely sporty a long time ago lol, I just want a comfortable auto that I can get the family + luggage in. The xe I drove seemed to have plenty of grunt and the gear change was extremely smooth, 8 speed box I believe. 

Edited by Farmboy91

Just now, Jacko3275 said:

Alphas are nice but if you want to get where you want to go I would go jag or Even a520d m sport

I know people love a good alfa joke but I genuinely never had a reliability issue with my first one, I've looked at beemers, in the past and now but they do nothing for me, I think both the jag and alfa are far better looking and whatever I get ill be keeping for 4/5 years so I want something I know I'll smile everytime I look at it. 

3 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I know people love a good alfa joke but I genuinely never had a reliability issue with my first one, I've looked at beemers, in the past and now but they do nothing for me, I think both the jag and alfa are far better looking and whatever I get ill be keeping for 4/5 years so I want something I know I'll smile everytime I look at it. 

I have a f11 530d m sport touring which I like the look of and makes me smile but the three cars I had before made me smile  none more than my two Imprezas which where bulletproof But not exactly motorway cars  so really it’s  what the op really needs it for in my opinion your heart tells you what to buy and if it’s second hand it’s all to the gods 

26 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I have a f11 530d m sport touring which I like the look of and makes me smile but the three cars I had before made me smile  none more than my two Imprezas which where bulletproof But not exactly motorway cars  so really it’s  what the op really needs it for in my opinion your heart tells you what to buy and if it’s second hand it’s all to the gods 

Ive often toyed with having a scooby, like alot of cars like that now I can afford one I don't want it lol + Ive got an mk1 mx5 for a weekend toy. 

22 minutes ago, dodeer said:

No help to you but my money would be on a Audi A6 3.0 or something like that

I think out of the german saloons the a4/a6 are the  better looking models

27 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Ive often toyed with having a scooby, like alot of cars like that now I can afford one I don't want it lol + Ive got an mk1 mx5 for a weekend toy. 

I think out of the german saloons the a4/a6 are the  better looking models

I’ve always liked the big engine German saloon cars. Fast and powerful but unnasuming