One for the LR gurus

la bala

Need some advice on Fairey Overdrive. When I had my gearbox reconditioned some time ago I left the overdrive off. Something to do on a wet day. It had always had a bit of a whine so today i whipped the front cover off. Well the the top of the ball bearing cage just lifted off and the remainder is just mangled pieces. My question is can the bearing be pulled straight off the shaft, I have removed the large circlip but think it will have to be pulled, The next problem will be making a puller, there is not much room. 

Capture bearing cover.PNG

Capture bearing.PNG

if you are frite of taking it apart........spot weld 2 threaded rods onto the inner race then drill out a bar (3 holes)...drop the bar onto the threaded rod ....couple of nuts....srew/bolt in the middle hole and draw off..........

do it with the same 2nd bearing beneath it......

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you are frite of taking it apart........spot weld 2 threaded rods onto the inner race then drill out a bar (3 holes)...drop the bar onto the threaded rod ....couple of nuts....srew/bolt in the middle hole and draw off..........

do it with the same 2nd bearing beneath it......

Could I have a diagram?

:lol::lol::lol:

🚩🚩🚩

Right big ball bearing, big circlip. You would think remove big circlip followed by bearing, you may have to give it a little tug.  Ok cut three pieces of 10mm threaded bar, tack weld to inner race at 120 degrees, we now have bottom half of three legged puller, add plate to top, tighten nuts bit at a time simple. Not so, soon as it gets some torque its pulling lumps of hard facing of the bearing race. After rewelding a few times I was getting a bit miffed. Right I will weld the puller bars to the inner and outer race and pull the lot out together. Yer ok, after another hour of tightening nuts and rewelding I had had enough. In a couple of hours I had pulled it about 3mm. I am sure I am missing something

Capture pull 1.PNG

Capture pull2.PNG

Capture pull.PNG

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you google "diagram for fairy overdrive landrover"......you will see all the engineer drawings and cut away pics ...........and the bearing you are trying to remove....what you are doing it right..:good:

Yes i have the drawing Simon. You have give me a bit of confidence now, i just thought i was overlooking something staring me in the face. I will resume the battle tomorrow :lol:

19 minutes ago, la bala said:

Yes i have the drawing Simon. You have give me a bit of confidence now, i just thought i was overlooking something staring me in the face. I will resume the battle tomorrow :lol:

when you start the pull ..........pour some boiling water straight from the kettle onto the aluminium casting..........

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Could always warm the lot in the oven and put ice water on the bearing, then pull the race out.

mrs will be well chuffed with that...............i cleaned the turbo chargers in the dishwasher once...and forgot i left one in there...until she found it...................scary:w00t:

Well today before causing any heat by welding, i found a little slide hammer which i could just fiddle down the outer bearing race, Bingo the outer race is started to move,  I am busy watching it coming closer to the top of the housing and oh dear, I am pulling the whole ruddy innards out. Well at least the outer race has cleared the casing but not the way i wanted it too. I decided to make another puller to hopefully get it off. No its not having any of it, just bending the puller. My last hope now is a fine cutting wheel in the grinder, try and get a few cuts in the race and fracture it out. I just dont know why its not moving, I am still doubting myself.

Capture bearing 6.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/08/2019 at 13:44, ShootingEgg said:

I'm just jealous you have overdrive haha. I'm currently rebuilding a fairey capstan, nearly ready to get it bolted onto the truck.. 

Don’t be jealous it will still whine lol even with new bearings 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Probably gone for a lie down...................................................

i dont know why he is bothering with an overdrive as he is running about with one diff at the moment...........

(proberly rebuilding the overdrive so he can sell it so he can buy a ne w diff :hmm:)