Yukon Photon, XT 6.5 X 50 Advice on setting up/ zero/ Front Cap disc ? leave in or out to zero,

oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, Longbower said:

I have one in my cupboard , as I found it very difficult to judge distances through the scope. Zero, also wondered about

a bit.

Went back to a Hawke 3-12 x50 Sub sonic dedicated scope. Sorted

hello, not done anything with the XT yet, looking at mounts, i tried the same scope but gone on to a hawke S/F cheers

7 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi i have the 4.5x42 on my brno mod 2  with medium mounts not adjustable  when zeroed at 70 yrds the cross hair is lower in the veiw  has not lost zero even after not having any batteries in for weeks  hope this helps

hello, i am going to get some medium mounts and try with the high mounts i have, a  have a MK 1 and used high mounts,  the XT needs a slight change in the way it is set on my 455 to get the  eye relief.

Hi mine is the mk2  eye relief is not perfect with the rubber eye piece on but you do get use to it removing the rubber eye piece does make it bit easier,  the photons did get a few people saying they did not keep zero i cant remember if its the mk1 or mk2 or both but i havent had that problem so far

17 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi mine is the mk2  eye relief is not perfect with the rubber eye piece on but you do get use to it removing the rubber eye piece does make it bit easier,  the photons did get a few people saying they did not keep zero i cant remember if its the mk1 or mk2 or both but i havent had that problem so far

15 hours ago, scouser said:

Had mine a few years ,got sportsmatch adjustable mounts.never had a problem holding zero, popped out the small bit on the len,s cover ,it really improves the depth of field .

8 hours ago, Longbower said:

Don't get me wrong , the XT is probably a cracking piece of kit, Just not in my hands.

hello, thankyou for replies, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 22:32, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, after putting an ad on here and NVUK i had now purchased the above and require some advice to set up on my CZ 455 22 L/R,   many thanks

hello, got out yesterday to zero the XT as per instructions and could not get anyway near the centre target, tried shimming back/front, using pair of quality 30mm high mounts, tried 100/50/ yard all to no avail, is anyone using the reach forward mount ? how do you get on with this, where do you fit on rail, never had a problem with the MK 1 5x42, any help appreciated   

Dont have a photon , but have read about problems zeroing and the solution as far as i know are sportsmatch adjustable mounts , about £60 i think but they seem to have worked for other people

i had the mk 1 when it came out and thought it was a cracking bit of kit ,then i had a xt but couldnt get away with the one shot zero thing at all ,so sold it

Edited by telf

The mounts will get you inline hopefully but another 60 notes. You can undo the main unit at the front and move this on scope body.  This will adjust scope to shoot where shot is landed. But be very wary of it holding zero. I had one years ago and never again. Had a few mates that tried them with same issues. Cant see them selling now there are the excellent pard 008 at the same price. 

Hope yours works but be careful with any adjustment if new. as some retailers try and avoid warranty as they know there is issues with holding zero. 

4 hours ago, telf said:

Dont have a photon , but have read about problems zeroing and the solution as far as i know are sportsmatch adjustable mounts , about £60 i think but they seem to have worked for other people

i had the mk 1 when it came out and thought it was a cracking bit of kit ,then i had a xt but couldnt get away with the one shot zero thing at all ,so sold it

I have just zeroed mine using Sportsmatch ATP61 adjustable mounts.

Bought mine for £43.95 plus p&p from Michael Tawn Airguns https://www.tawnadoairguns.com/sportsmatch_scope_mounts_30mm.php

Great service, very fast delivery.

Mounted a treat, had to adjust the rear mount, very easy using Allen keys.

5 hours ago, telf said:

hello, the adjustable ones are the last resort, the MK 1s are much easier to zero, i reckon Yukon knew this was going to be a problem even Thomas Jacks said much the same and only recommended shimming the back mount, cheers 

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

The mounts will get you inline hopefully but another 60 notes. You can undo the main unit at the front and move this on scope body.  This will adjust scope to shoot where shot is landed. But be very wary of it holding zero. I had one years ago and never again. Had a few mates that tried them with same issues. Cant see them selling now there are the excellent pard 008 at the same price. 

Hope yours works but be careful with any adjustment if new. as some retailers try and avoid warranty as they know there is issues with holding zero. 

hello, thanks to reply, i bought it as new second hand but did not think it would be this difficult to zero, should have done some more research, i just cannot get on with a add on,

6 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi you do know that each movement ie  -1  say is 1 inch nearly at a 100 yrds thats what the manual says

what you could try is clamp the rifle in a black & decker style work bench  bore sight it on target then fire a shot then adjust the scope

hello, thanks to reply, it was done using a proper clamped rifle rest

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, got out yesterday to zero the XT as per instructions and could not get anyway near the centre target, tried shimming back/front, using pair of quality 30mm high mounts, tried 100/50/ yard all to no avail, is anyone using the reach forward mount ? how do you get on with this, where do you fit on rail, never had a problem with the MK 1 5x42, any help appreciated   

hello, thanks for replies, will try again next week, i need the reach forward mounts to go on my ratting air rifle and mk 1 photon, thomas jacks gave this reply, with some L/R rifles they have very curved trajectories and the XT only has a limited adjustment, something to do with sensor and small screen, i will persevere !!!!! 

28 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi did you have a normal scope on the rifle before if yes was the zero ok  the reason i ask as my brno had a bad sound moderator on it it would not hit a target at 50yrds  a normal scope was fitted at that time

hello, yes i have  my  Hawke S/F day scope fitted and it is spot on zero at 50 yards, my 455 has a SAK fitted, never had this problem with the MK 1 photon, i wont give up ha ha 

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi i just noticed you have high mounts on your rifle this can be the cause of not getting zero at any distance i have medium mounts on my brno these scopes are supposed to be fitted as close the bore as possible

hello, yes high mounts as its a 50mm front lens plus the cap, there is not much clearance between, what make of medium mounts do you have fitted ? i have seen some  nikko sterling medium mounts, would they do ?  they look well made, i do not want to go to adjustables yet , have been using Photons for many years but these new XTs are something different, 

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes high mounts as its a 50mm front lens plus the cap, there is not much clearance between, what make of medium mounts do you have fitted ? i have seen some  nikko sterling medium mounts, would they do ?  they look well made, i do not want to go to adjustables yet , have been using Photons for many years but these new XTs are something different, 

Hi this is my brno  as you can see the scope is very low and its sport match medium mounts

DSCN4536.JPG

DSCN4537.JPG