Grass!

getthegat

So with still very few pigeons anywhere on my perms, even after the barley has been cut, yesterday I had the news that all the acreage that is cereal this year, next year will be grass for hay and hayledge (think that's how it's spelt) A few fields will be OSR or wheat, but the majority, grass. I guess I may see more crows at times, but my preferred quarry of Mr Woodie, may be in even shorter supply. There are no rabbits anywhere and no good habitat for them either, so I think lean times could be on the cards. I still have another perm nearby which at the moment has standing wheat waiting for the combine, so I'm ever hopeful of a few birds on there and some diversity from the impending grass land invasion. 

The fact that you say a few fields will be OSR may mean that any birds in the area will be concentrated on those few fields later on. This could prove beneficial and a little easier to come to terms with rather than a large acreage where they can feed anywhere over it. Look at it as a positive.

OB

4 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

The fact that you say a few fields will be OSR may mean that any birds in the area will be concentrated on those few fields later on. This could prove beneficial and a little easier to come to terms with rather than a large acreage where they can feed anywhere over it. Look at it as a positive.

OB

:good:

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

You could be right. However, if the farm next door has a good acreage of rape, then it might be less of a positive situation.

17 hours ago, motty said:

You could be right. However, if the farm next door has a good acreage of rape, then it might be less of a positive situation.

Always look on the bright side of life .... da dum da dum :)

On 20/08/2019 at 05:56, getthegat said:

So with still very few pigeons anywhere on my perms, even after the barley has been cut, yesterday I had the news that all the acreage that is cereal this year, next year will be grass for hay and hayledge (think that's how it's spelt) A few fields will be OSR or wheat, but the majority, grass. I guess I may see more crows at times, but my preferred quarry of Mr Woodie, may be in even shorter supply. There are no rabbits anywhere and no good habitat for them either, so I think lean times could be on the cards. I still have another perm nearby which at the moment has standing wheat waiting for the combine, so I'm ever hopeful of a few birds on there and some diversity from the impending grass land invasion. 

You will have to hope there will be some clover in the grass, you can have some good shooting in spring and early summer over clover, I had the same problem on a farm near me as they have a lot of sheep. They turned 70% of all the fields over to grass, I have had some good shooting at times of the year when other crops are not necessarily producing. so as OB says look on the bright side

On 20/08/2019 at 08:21, Old Boggy said:

OB

Makes sense👍 Ever hopeful and positive.

On 20/08/2019 at 14:42, motty said:

The farm next door is cereal and was last year as well, plus a blinding field of beans which for a short time was teaming.

Nobody can predict what next year will bring in the way of shooting pigeons over certain crops , or weather we will still be shooting pigeons as we do at the present time , this year was a perfect example with taking shooting pigeons for granted .

We are lucky with having just about every crop a pigeon could wish for , but that is not to say pigeons will be on them , this year have been a very good year around here with good numbers of pigeons , far better than last year , but will next year be as good ? , who knows ?

At the end of the day , if you have got pigeons in your area you can get a bit of sport off most crops , grass included , if you haven't , then you can expect lean times over the less likely crops .