28ga Fibre Recipes

Hi everyone, 

I'm just about to start reloading for the 28ga and looking to reload 21-24 gram fibre loads. Have seen the 70mm recipes stated on Folkestone Engineering which look perfect, only snagging point is the powder being PSB2+SP, I don't know anywhere that stocks it where I am (Sheffield). 

Clay&Game only state they have PSB2 on their website..

Just wondered if anyone knew of somewhere in South Yorkshire or surrounding area that stocks PSB2+SP or has a similar recipe using either PSB2 or similar economical powder? 

Thanks, 

Spower 

Edited by Spower

Have you looked at Henry Kranks.

Load on Maxam site, 28 bore 21g shot G 1000 primer and 1.29 grams of SSB150 powder, cheap to buy compared to other powders. Should state other powders that are not Maxam. Maxam powders are about half the price of other makes.

Edited by figgy

Guest cookoff013
1 hour ago, figgy said:

Load on Maxam site, 28 bore 21g shot G 1000 primer and 1.29 grams of SSB150 powder, cheap to buy compared to other powders. Should state other powders that are not Maxam. Maxam powders are about half the price of other makes.

Edited by cookoff013
re read post and it was less relevant

Hi Spower. Give John at Folkstone Engineering a call and ask when he's next travelling up North, as he can arrange to drop off powders, shot, etc, at a suitable place, which for a few of us up here, is Scotch Corner.  I'll have a look for the PSB2 data as I've made some and also the 24 grm PSB2+SP. 

Guest cookoff013
On 20/08/2019 at 12:34, figgy said:

i think this data is for steel shot, not lead shot.

Guest cookoff013

Pressure is a funny thing really.

Which one fact overides in hard/ fast pressure rules? 

Dunno. Depends on powder and burn efficiency / space / compression.

When i did a test load with 32g niceshot in a compression wad, and a 32g of steel with the equivalent wad. The steel load just almost doubled in pressure. Thats what the compression section took care of. Efficiency of the 32g steel load was quite high and belted out more energy, but thats because it squeezed all the energy out of the identical charge (same powder charge and tuned up for 32g loads in 12gauge).

Im reallymake an effort to seriosly instil accurate info. Like hull length.

As compression section really changes everything. The 2 are connected.

Take the same powder and charge, compression wad, and put one and half ounces of HW13. And it almost passes cip 1050bar. failing Not by over pressure as the pressure was well within limits. The variability went nuts. I should have fired 10-20 shells to pass variability spec.

But that would be silly money.

These rules are not hard and fast. I created my own pilot load to test.

I had to create my own test data to do a prediction (screened it)

When i guessed i was within 30fps of guesses.

Volume for gas expansion on firing, makes sense with higher pressures if one has a compressible part to the wad and one doesn't. Pressure would rise. It's the types of shot that's always baffled me as 32g is 32g so if wads were the same shot type shouldn't matter if you can fit it in that is.

Guest cookoff013

the it seems the higher weight seems to slight hold alittle longer.

depending on powder type meaning extracting all the fast burning powder or extracting a fraction of the energy from a slower burning powder. 

with the differnt densities of shot means the volume the of space the gas can expand into can differ. but also increasing payload will have an increased effect.

the 2 shot types would be low density and high density. with an increase in either will have the same effect, increase in pressure. because the low density shot takes up more room in the hull it should increase pressures. more. and it does.

if you were to have a steel type tube wad and have 32g lead and 32g steel, it might make very little difference, because the expansion volume is the same. although the internal packers will be different.speeds might be comparable too. 

if i have a 65mm load and load up a 70mm shell in it by using a shorter wad, the pressures will increase. its been done by a guy here,

the opposite happens too. so is using a 70mm hull with a full height RTO, its like using a 3" hull with crimp. it has 6mm of extra expansion (as long as the wad is right)

what is really interesting is if you put a really slow burning powder A0 and maybe a tubo24 and 42g of hw13 should produce a boringly average shell really.

these slow powders are published to be used with static columns like 32g steel / 36g steel. restricting the expansion volume so that the powder burns right, but low enough to be within specifications (cip regs.)

with all the playtime i has with testing stuff, its becoming more and more aparrant, once the powder charge is in the right zone, you can really play with the payload.