Beretta Aficionado, Help, Please

wymberley

On the top lever of my 20 bore S56E there is an inlaid gold (?) bird.  Opinion has it that it is - or should be - a woodcock. Questions, why a woodcock and would this be usual for what is, after all, not one of their higher grade models from '77. Family down from 'up  norf' and one member who shoots a 686S and has done with the same one for some 25+ years wanted to see it. He eventually handed it back some 2 hours later when he'd finally finished putting it down and then picking it up again only to declare that as it's '77 vintage, it can't be described as new so we'll settle for 'not used'.

I agree with the looks like a pigeon. However, I really know nothing. Have been told that it could be a woodcock because the 20 bore is renowned as the go to gun for that species. But I do know that there was also a silver and a gold snipe version - along with a Sauer Beretta produced model. Also, this was a hand finished gun prior to the 680 series which followed it which did not, being machine made.

Curiouser and curiouser. Just heard from Step-son and his has no "Orville". Now, I can't say that both guns were the same - patently because I missed the 'no Orville' for a start - but I really thought they were identical. The Date Codes on both guns indicate the same year - '77 -  and the Serial Numbers are not too far apart and they're both S56E - mine has the lower Ser. No. Although it's of absolutely no consequence, it is a tad intriguing so would like to know. All I can think of is that "Orville" who is in 'gold' has a silver brother which make up the Gold and Silver Snipe versions.

My S57 EL (pictured earlier in this thread) is from circa 1975 I believe and the 'Orville" is in a silver colour.

Don't know much of the history other than that I bought it second hand circa early 1980s c/w leather case and 2 sets barrels.  It originally had a 'varnished' stock which I had stripped and the chunky pistol grip (how I hate pistol grips!) slimmed, and re-chequered and oil finished, the work being done by William Powells.  I have used it including in Costa Rica dove shooting (very hot weather) and it has never missed a beat (despite being cursed with a single trigger).  I must have had it for nearly 40 years.

Edited by JohnfromUK