JDog the therapist.

JDog

Aga Man has been suffering from a back spasm of late. It must have been unbearable for his wife. Last evening she said to him.....'Stop moaning for goodness sake (or words to that effect). If it is that bad ring your friend in the Lincolnshire Wolds and have a day out pigeon shooting with him'. So he did and we did.

The venue was over the Humber bridge in a field I am beginning to know quite well now. There were in fact three small fields of what was supposed to be wheat stubble but they were mostly black grass stubble. Matters could have been tricky as all three fields still had the swaths in them and there was a baler in action when we drove in. In normal circumstances that baler would have dealt with those fields in four hours. Luckily for us, and unluckily for the farmer the baler kept breaking down and we had one field to ourselves for three hours.

It was slow going at first but birds on both outgoing and return lines did decoy, or rather they came for a look and some paid the price. I have seen a thousand birds on that line in the past but today there were a lot less. We had some great sport eventually picking 60 pigeons and 12 Carrion crows. 

We ended our session in a pub having a pint, dinner and a good banter, just how it should be.

Edited by JDog

I am once again in a fair bit of pain with my back tonight after sorting the birds etc but I am happy. It was a great afternoon as always and give me the encouragement I needed to get out.

We have both shot this line a few times now and it never fails to satisfy and produces a fantastic spectacle of birds at all height and angles. I was quite surprised at the number we shot but pigeons decoyed really well to trusty old homemade magnet.

My shooting was off as I expected but JDog shot very well indeed {and no he didn't pay me to say that!} the best shooting I have seen in quite a while topped with a nice 60yd+ driven bird dead in the air.

Great stuff.

20190821_184425.jpg

9 hours ago, aga man said:

I am once again in a fair bit of pain with my back tonight after sorting the birds etc but I am happy. It was a great afternoon as always and give me the encouragement I needed to get out.

We have both shot this line a few times now and it never fails to satisfy and produces a fantastic spectacle of birds at all height and angles. I was quite surprised at the number we shot but pigeons decoyed really well to trusty old homemade magnet.

My shooting was off as I expected but JDog shot very well indeed {and no he didn't pay me to say that!} the best shooting I have seen in quite a while topped with a nice 60yd+ driven bird dead in the air.

Great stuff.

You probably know I've had major surgery on my spine so I know exactly how much pain you must be in, well done for getting out there and having a go,👍

A superb bag shot on a flight line , something we get very little experience at around our way .

As a fellow back pain sufferer I know exactly what it is like , two Saturdays ago in that very strong wind I was set up down the side of a Fir wood , that day should have been the best day for sport this year , we had 100s of pigeons going on the rape stubble and where I set up they wanted to come in the wood for shelter from the strong wind , my decoys was bringing them dead towards me , either right , left or dead ahead , my mind said I could take everything in range on and to begin with I was fine , my dog was enjoying himself picking pigeons out of wood and was on Red alert , after about an hour I could feel my back was not liking it as much as I was and I decided to leave the ones on the side and just take on the ones in front , this was alright for a few shots and then you forget and swing on a fast one that is drifting into the wind , then I over done it and I felt like an electric shock was going down my back and straight away I knew that was game over for the day , I had another chap with me on another field and when I stopped shooting his shooting more or less dried up , after going back home and took a couple of tablets I came back a bit later to help him pack up and by then he had shot 37 and when I packed up I had shot 31 , I now realise I am getting on a bit and should listen to my body more, rather than what my mind says it can do .

GOOD LUCK aga  man and I hope you are on the mend .

AGa Man , I would have some concern as to why your good lady referred you to JDog perhaps she has used his talents in the past ??

to alleviate your back concerns ???

He is a good OLD boy and has a good sense of helping others especially lady gardeners who ask for his assistance with the spellings??

it was a brilliant day out for you and you forgot your bad back on those high birds, well done JDog for answering Mrs Aga Mans request and you got him out of the house for a few hours!!

16 hours ago, JDog said:

Aga Man has been suffering from a back spasm of late. It must have been unbearable for his wife. Last evening she said to him.....'Stop moaning for goodness sake (or words to that effect). If it is that bad ring your friend in the Lincolnshire Wolds and have a day out pigeon shooting with him'. So he did and we did.

The venue was over the Humber bridge in a field I am beginning to know quite well now. There were in fact three small fields of what was supposed to be wheat stubble but they were mostly black grass stubble. Matters could have been tricky as all three fields still had the swaths in them and there was a baler in action when we drove in. In normal circumstances that baler would have dealt with those fields in four hours. Luckily for us, and unluckily for the farmer the baler kept breaking down and we had one field to ourselves for three hours.

It was slow going at first but birds on both outgoing and return lines did decoy, or rather they came for a look and some paid the price. I have seen a thousand birds on that line in the past but today there were a lot less. We had some great sport eventually picking 60 pigeons and 12 Carrion crows. 

We ended our session in a pub having a pint, dinner and a good banter, just how it should be.

As you say ‘ just how it should be.’

Sounds idyllic. 

6 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Cracking days sport, what better way of recuperating. JDog certainly is a man of many talents -  therapist, first rate shot, botanical expert and he has the linguistic talent to charm females and farmers alike.

you mean "a lounge lizard silver tongued snake"..............

his nick name in "those" circles is ...".Drambuie"..................(a fancy liquor)......:whistling:

8 hours ago, rapid .25 said:

You probably know I've had major surgery on my spine so I know exactly how much pain you must be in, well done for getting out there and having a go,👍

Many thanks, I hope your surgery was a success. The back problems seem to becoming more frequent for me now, yearly at least. I really hope I won't need any surgery but if that what it takes I will. Very difficult being a self employed one man band and struggling on with back pain. Very frustrating.

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I would have some concern as to why your good lady referred you to JDog perhaps she has used his talents in the past ??

I hope not, if his shooting was anything to go by yesterday, he would far better at taking care of things than me:ermm:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

you mean "a lounge lizard silver tongued snake"..............

his nick name in "those" circles is ...".Drambuie"..................(a fancy liquor)...…:whistling:

Haha, very good Ditchy:lol:

On 22/08/2019 at 07:51, Clodhopper said:

Cracking days sport, what better way of recuperating. JDog certainly is a man of many talents -  therapist, first rate shot, botanical expert and he has the linguistic talent to charm females and farmers alike.

You missed off the master of self deprecation also! 

Well shot you two! Nice to see you got a good day together, pigeons are hard to pin down north of the Humber at the mo,

always good to dint the crow population and as for back advice I say take up ‘planking’ (google it) strengthens your core supports your spine

great report and banter!

36 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

You missed off the master of self deprecation also! 

Well shot you two! Nice to see you got a good day together, pigeons are hard to pin down north of the Humber at the mo,

always good to dint the crow population and as for back advice I say take up ‘planking’ (google it) strengthens your core supports your spine

great report and banter!

Thanks Wilksy, yes pigeons still a bit tricky here, think you and Gord have shot them all! Not sure about planking but wife says i'm an expert at a very similar sounding activity:lol:

Have a good holiday pal.:good:

8 hours ago, aga man said:

Thanks Wilksy, yes pigeons still a bit tricky here, think you and Gord have shot them all! Not sure about planking but wife says i'm an expert at a very similar sounding activity

Have a good holiday pal.:good:

Mad dogs and Gordon are out  on the pigeons today! Just think how strong your wrist is! I rest my case! Monday we’re away, rape at Leven still not down!!!

Edited by Wilksy II