Good Labrador breeder?

wildfowler.250

Hi guys,

So looking for some advice if possible please? Can anyone recommend a really good Labrador breeder,(im sure there’s a few!)? I’m working down West Yorkshire temporarily but happy to travel for a one off. Grew up in the highlands and had a couple of good dogs from up that way but thought it might be nice to try something different.

Likely for next year spring so plenty time to look around.

cheers!

Thanks for the reply! 

Im not too fussed as I’ve had cockers before and they never held me back and my two labs,(bitches) currently are only 19/20kg.  I might go for a dog for a change but more interesting in ability and that they’re generally healthy. 

On a side note the biggest plus of a smaller dog is theyre easier to lift over a fence but it’s all pros and cons!

24 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Lift over a fence... That's a joke surely 

Not everyone teaches their dogs to jump fences. 

There is a risk of them getting hung up, catching a leg or getting sliced on wire. 

Even in trials these days some handlers are lifting dogs over dangerous looking fences. 

Cant see anything wrong with trying to keep your best mate safe 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, landy george said:

I know someone who's dog lost an eye to barbed wire, so you're not wrong there.

That would be gutting. They’ll jump a fence no bother but I generally discourage it. Even working as a vet you don’t get these things at cost price anymore if you’re an employee and the 10 days out of work is also a nightmare.

Any more recommendations greatly appreciated!

cheers!

1 minute ago, wildfowler.250 said:

That would be gutting. They’ll jump a fence no bother but I generally discourage it. Even working as a vet you don’t get these things at cost price anymore if you’re an employee and the 10 days out of work is also a nightmare.

Any more recommendations greatly appreciated!

cheers!

If you want a dog with a bit of red (trial awards) speak to local retriever clubs they will be able to sort you most likely. 

Do you have a price limit? 

Also are you on Facebook? There’s groups on there specifically for pups 👍🏻

my other half breeds her own line of labs, should be having a litter by the end of the year.

Always produces strong, well-boned dogs - attached pic 1 is dad and two sons out of a previous litter.  Pic 2 is the two sons and a boy from the last litter who is 8 months old.

Dad is a FTW and will be trialled this season to hopefully get made up.

labs.jpg

lab pups.jpg

Edited by Mickeydredd

Two recommendations.

Salrowbra up near Pickering in North Yorkshire http://www.salrowbragundogs.co.uk/ 

Got our Lab and Springer from there and strongly recommend. Jez & Julie are great and don’t just breed them but also work their own on the moors.

Alternatively, Castlemans which will be closer to you https://www.castlemansgundogs.co.uk/works  Phillipa breeds and trains gun dogs. We took both of ours to her and she is brilliant and her dogs are top. She is well known as a top trainer and regularly displays at Crufts, she also works her dogs.

Either, you won’t be disappointed 

Good luck and if your do visit them say hello from Kev & Sarah

Obviously it is necessary to school a working dog to jump over obstacles.

For retrievers and larger dogs it is probably better to teach them to stand off and leap the fence at a run. The poor jumper, and those of small stature tend to run up against the fence then try to spring from the standstill - and are more likely to get a leg stuck in the upper strands. 

So yes - it is better to lift a small dog over a fence. And for the owners of Chesapeakes - who on occasion may have to lift them over an obstruction ..... make sure you know a good osteopath.

And a word to the uninitiated, when faced with a jumpable fence with a top strand of barbed wire, try carrying a 1m length of hosepipe in your bag (split lengthwise) to put onto the top wire. Also saves lacerations of the expensive goretex lined trousers and the gonads.

On 22/08/2019 at 10:44, Lloyd90 said:

If you want a dog with a bit of red (trial awards) speak to local retriever clubs they will be able to sort you most likely. 

Do you have a price limit? 

Also are you on Facebook? There’s groups on there specifically for pups 👍🏻

Cheers, will have a look. Think my last bitch was £550 with usual health testing and good pedigree. Sound about right or gone up since then?

On 22/08/2019 at 13:14, Mickeydredd said:

my other half breeds her own line of labs, should be having a litter by the end of the year.

Always produces strong, well-boned dogs - attached pic 1 is dad and two sons out of a previous litter.  Pic 2 is the two sons and a boy from the last litter who is 8 months old.

Dad is a FTW and will be trialled this season to hopefully get made up.

labs.jpg

lab pups.jpg

Nice looking dogs. Thank you very much, will keep you in mind!

On 22/08/2019 at 19:20, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Two recommendations.

Salrowbra up near Pickering in North Yorkshire http://www.salrowbragundogs.co.uk/ 

Got our Lab and Springer from there and strongly recommend. Jez & Julie are great and don’t just breed them but also work their own on the moors.

Alternatively, Castlemans which will be closer to you https://www.castlemansgundogs.co.uk/works  Phillipa breeds and trains gun dogs. We took both of ours to her and she is brilliant and her dogs are top. She is well known as a top trainer and regularly displays at Crufts, she also works her dogs.

Either, you won’t be disappointed 

Good luck and if your do visit them say hello from Kev & Sarah

Perfect, thank you very much and I’ll look them up. That’s what I’m after is someone who works them as well rather than a ‘breeder’. There’s usually someone in every area that does a lot of picking up and has a litter every now and then which is what I was trying to describe. Cheers!

On 22/08/2019 at 21:43, archi said:

I have just picked up a cracking bitch up from Rye McKnight at Gunnerah gundogs in Anglessey

it was a long trip from Norfolk but well worth it.

Thanks! Again don’t mind the drive if they’re worth it. Will have a good read online.

Thanks for all the replies!

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers, will have a look. Think my last bitch was £550 with usual health testing and good pedigree. Sound about right or gone up since then?

Depends, I bought my Lab almost 10 years ago and she was £400. 

Most times they appear to be going for over £800 for some. 

If you want a “fox red” couch (yellow) couch one ... they’re charging silly money like £1200+. 

End of the day people charge as much as they can get away with. 

Personally I would find a trialler or similar who is breeding to keep back and they will be proven, well bred and are often cheaper than people throwing any old rubbish together 👍🏻