Geco .22lr Semi-auto Rounds

I'm pretty new to rifle shooting. Only had my license a few months and only bought a rifle about 6 weeks ago. Pretty skint at the moment so my choice of round has come down to price. I was shooting CCI Blasers but then I saw the Geco rounds on offer at £2.48 for 50 and thought I'd give them a try. They're a slower round than the Blasers, had to dial up the scope an inch or two to compensate but once that was done they seemed to shoot very well.

Curious as to whether anyone else shoots these and also if someone could tell me why they are listed as semi-auto rounds? What's the difference between these and something recommended for a bolt action?

As said they seem to fire pretty well from my CZ452.

Some groups below.

0target.jpg

All shot at 50 yards, 7 rounds top left, 10 rounds top right and 3 rounds bottom left, 2p piece for scale on the other target.

Well that's certainly a good price - Geco make some very reasonable ammunition so I can't really see a problem using this. It depends really what you will be doing with it, for plinking on a range it looks like it would perform quite well in a semi-auto for club level gallery rifle shooting although it's not going to win any medals in any sort of precision shooting.

Being a solid bullet not really recommended for usual pest control and with a velocity of 1150 is not sub-sonic so not much use with a moderator.

If you try several different brands of ammo you will find some that will be more accurate in your rifle but you won't find much else as cheap.

It's listed as semi-auto because it has a higher velocity than sub-sonic target and hunting ammunition which will cycle the action more reliably in a semi-auto.

Geco produce some very good ammo especially for the price point.

some time ago, They changed what was Geco .22 in red/black boxes and I think this was a marketing ploy they seem to have altered the loading in Geco which used to be fine and very reliable in .22 semi-autos.

All of a sudden it was rubbish reliability and the velocity had lowered, fine in a bolt gun or single shot but not in an auto? Atmore or less the same time they introduced the Geco semi auto, which has  slightly higher muzzle velocity.

I don't actually like the semi auto eco much too much like a lot of the cheap bulk pack American ammo.

I still use Geco plain black and red box -will not reliably cycle a semi auto but fine in a bolt rifle for a semi I prefer SK or RWS

With the greatest respect - not brilliant groups for 50 yards. I would have thought that saving money by purchasing cheap ammo is not a wise decision - you owe it to your quarry to use the best performing round in your gun, not the cheapest. I would spend some time trying various rounds (if you are a member of a club, fellow members will often donate 10 rounds?) then stick to the ones best suited to your barrel - personally I swear by RWS HV HP although they can be hard to find.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

With the greatest respect - not brilliant groups for 50 yards. I would have thought that saving money by purchasing cheap ammo is not a wise decision - you owe it to your quarry to use the best performing round in your gun, not the cheapest. I would spend some time trying various rounds (if you are a member of a club, fellow members will often donate 10 rounds?) then stick to the ones best suited to your barrel - personally I swear by RWS HV HP although they can be hard to find.

I thought they were quite reasonable groups, 8/10 in the bull on a somewhat windy day. :|

But ok, as I said I've only been rifle shooting a very short time.

Not too worried about my quarry, I only shoot paper targets. I'm willing to run the risk of winging one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 06:44, bruno22rf said:

Too right, you should be shooting one ragged hole at 50 yards.

If you’re shooting paper you’re shooting against yourself 

you should be trying for 100 and a one hole group especially with a scope 

cheap ammo isn’t always the best for the gun 

as said above trying a few brand is the best way to go 

best of luck with the new hobby 😊

On 24/08/2019 at 08:14, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i clean up my RWS subs with that waxy stuff using  white spirit save all the brass bits etc bunging up the action of my 455

The waxy stuff is supposed to aid the expansion on the subsonics (apparently) 

although it maybe a sales ploy 😉