Sporting North England

Cawdor118

Afternoon all, 

Myself and my good lady are planning shooting Bisley at Braidwood next Tuesday. We then plan on another shoot elsewhere in the area. Are there any other shoots in the North of England or central Scotland that are worth a shot? We primarily like sporting. I was thinking about Bywell? 

I shot NSC92 last weekend and have shot both Cluny and Auchterhouse in the past.

Cheers 

You could head across to Westlands at Annan after shooting Braidwood, about 1h40m or so I guess.

Bywell is primarily a trap and skeet ground, not sure if they have any pay and play sporting.  They do have a very good, albeit expensive, gun room.

There are not a great deal of pay and play sporting grounds in this part of the world, certainly not ones that are open all weekdays.  North Ayrshire shooting ground in Dalry is also a good pay and play venue with a good bit of sporting on offer, but way out the road if you are going down to Braidwood first.

Braidwood has the greatest variation of sporting targets in Scotland.

NSC has the Scottish sportrap championship on Sunday and spaces still available.  All will be brand new targets again.

Bywell don't do pay and play, they do Sportrap, DTL and Skeet on a Wednesday £7 per round of 25, similar on Saturdays where they put 50 Sporting on as well. Buy a ticket for whatever and join in, its good fun. I agree about Westlands, 20 stands of pay and play Sporting plus a Skeet layout (if that's your thing) im there tomorrow as its only 140 miles for me ha ha ha

On 22/08/2019 at 21:07, grrclark said:

You could head across to Westlands at Annan after shooting Braidwood, about 1h40m or so I guess.

Bywell is primarily a trap and skeet ground, not sure if they have any pay and play sporting.  They do have a very good, albeit expensive, gun room.

There are not a great deal of pay and play sporting grounds in this part of the world, certainly not ones that are open all weekdays.  North Ayrshire shooting ground in Dalry is also a good pay and play venue with a good bit of sporting on offer, but way out the road if you are going down to Braidwood first.

Braidwood has the greatest variation of sporting targets in Scotland.

NSC has the Scottish sportrap championship on Sunday and spaces still available.  All will be brand new targets again.

As were coming from the north of Scotland, Westlands looks like a lovely place to stay as well. I think i'm keen on spending 2-3 days down there. Were only planning down from Monday night / Tuesday morning. but thanks very much for the offer. :good:

On 23/08/2019 at 09:49, johnphilip said:

Westland is amazing , they have been doing a lot of work there , they now have a caravan / static caravan and log cabins  set up . Some amazing stands , love there . Its just a shame it is a 180 mile round trip for me . 

Its nearly a 500 Mile round trip for me! 

41 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

As were coming from the north of Scotland, Westlands looks like a lovely place to stay as well. I think i'm keen on spending 2-3 days down there. Were only planning down from Monday night / Tuesday morning. but thanks very much for the offer. :good:

Its nearly a 500 Mile round trip for me! 

Yes , but do you walk it😂

5 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

If you can jiggle your dates and timing Braidwood have a 75 bird shoot on the Wednesday evening that will be 35 sim pairs and 5 singles, £25, should be a good bit of fun.  Ironically I wont be able to do that as i'm going to be up north.

4 minutes ago, grrclark said:

If you can jiggle your dates and timing Braidwood have a 75 bird shoot on the Wednesday evening that will be 35 sim pairs and 5 singles, £25, should be a good bit of fun.  Ironically I wont be able to do that as i'm going to be up north.

I'm not too set on the dates at this present moment. I have nearly 2 weeks off. Do you ever shoot up this way?

37 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I'm not too set on the dates at this present moment. I have nearly 2 weeks off. Do you ever shoot up this way?

The only shoots I have done in the north are registered shoots and those have been at Ardlethen quarry (not very north and are no more) and Lairg (quite a bit north)  

I am in Aberdeen 2-3 nights per week just now and would be quite happy to have a boom, but not sure if anything is on in the evenings i'm there.

20 hours ago, grrclark said:

The only shoots I have done in the north are registered shoots and those have been at Ardlethen quarry (not very north and are no more) and Lairg (quite a bit north)  

I am in Aberdeen 2-3 nights per week just now and would be quite happy to have a boom, but not sure if anything is on in the evenings i'm there.

Seals cove is just south of Aberdeen and Is a lovely little sporting / compak and DTL set up. Well worth a visit

5 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

Seals cove is just south of Aberdeen and Is a lovely little sporting / compak and DTL set up. Well worth a visit

They were due to have a registered sporting shoot this year, but cancelled which was a shame as i fancy going there.  I shall try to get along at some point.

Westlands could be a very good ground if everything worked as it should, I went last Monday as I thought everything should be working as it would have quite a few shooters there the day before, but no it wasn't.  Two stands just before the tower were only throwing one clay instead of two, both batteries in the tower stand had the wires laying next to the batteries, so no tower targets at all, not very good in my opinion.

I have only had everything working once, and I normally go there once a month, which made it a good shoot, but I don't think I'll go back as it's nearly a three hour round trip and I've had enough to be honest. I sent a message on f/book telling them about the day, but no reply as yet.

The staff are nice people and the food is good but everything as regards traps working etc: needs to be sorted out.

1 hour ago, BlaserF3 said:

Westlands could be a very good ground if everything worked as it should, I went last Monday as I thought everything should be working as it would have quite a few shooters there the day before, but no it wasn't.  Two stands just before the tower were only throwing one clay instead of two, both batteries in the tower stand had the wires laying next to the batteries, so no tower targets at all, not very good in my opinion.

I have only had everything working once, and I normally go there once a month, which made it a good shoot, but I don't think I'll go back as it's nearly a three hour round trip and I've had enough to be honest. I sent a message on f/book telling them about the day, but no reply as yet.

The staff are nice people and the food is good but everything as regards traps working etc: needs to be sorted out.

I think this can happen at any of the big claygrounds , more traps means more to go wrong . I have shot there a few times , any trap not working phone there moblie number and they came out and sorted it ,any no birds reported it and they never questioned the amount you say . 

When the batteries are not connected something is not working and they know it, why not make sure everything works first thing in the morning, I arrived at about 14.00 so they had have plenty on time to fix things, on the desk was a note saying that stand one was not working, not a very well run ground at all.

Maybe they are waiting for a part for it , you could go around on a morning and check all the traps are working fine , they have filled them up . An hour later one could go wrong , just takes a bit if a broken clay to cause a trap to not fire . Like i say the more traps a ground has,  the more  there is to go wrong , i know its not nice , but it is what it is . I have been to far worse grounds .it is the only desent ground near to me . And thats a 180 mile round trip .we have a small one here at Glenluce , but thats just DTL , and skeet . I have my own trap but trying to get land to take it on is nearly impossible  .

Just back from Braidwood by Bisley. Its simply the best sporting set up i have shot in Scotland. What an array of targets and at what i would class as a very reasonable price. I will most certainly be going back. The only downside is the 410 mile round trip! :good:

I have some more time off next week, so may go for a jolly down to Westlands. 

1 hour ago, Cawdor118 said:

Just back from Braidwood by Bisley. Its simply the best sporting set up i have shot in Scotland. What an array of targets and at what i would class as a very reasonable price. I will most certainly be going back. The only downside is the 410 mile round trip! :good:

I have some more time off next week, so may go for a jolly down to Westlands. 

If you fly fish for trout , they have a loch on site , not fished it my self though .Annan looks a lovely small town aswell .

1 minute ago, johnphilip said:

If you fly fish for trout , they have a loch on site , not fished it my self though .Annan looks a lovely small town aswell .

Thanks for that John. I had actually planned to stay in one of their cabins, shoot twice and fish once but the availability seems poor next week. 

35 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

We are hoping  to go over for a few days in a couple of weeks in our camper . Our friends have booked one of the statics , they booked up about six months ago .

Quite unbelievable really. But it is a nice location. I think ill try and find somewhere local and stay there. 

5 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

I think all the statics and cabins just opened this year . So its all new and people trying it out . I know the shooting is busy on a weekend , but quiter through the week .

Shot Braidwood today - Its fantastic! I hope its comparable to that? The promote it as such.