Damson and Apple Cheese

lord_seagrave

So, the Seagraves went to spend the weekend with friends in Gloucestershire. We had a lovely time, and were rewarded with a huge bag of damsons and cooking apples!

I tried a couple of the damsons raw, and although quite astringent, they weren’t too sharp. No idea on the variety, as they were from a seriously ancient tree, but the crop was enormous!

Effectively, all I did was follow the recipe at https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/damson-and-apple-cheese/#reviews

BUT - I would advise you to use much less sugar than the recipe directs. Admittedly, I don’t have a very sweet tooth, but I think that you could comfortably halve the sugar if your damsons are even slightly sweet (i.e. 50g of sugar per 150g of purée).

Nevertheless, it has produced a delicious pile of fruit jellies, as well as a Pyrex dish of damson membrillo in the fridge for later in the year.

I oiled my dish with almond extract, which really complemented the damson flavour. If I were doing it again, I would be very tempted to put a good-sized slosh of almond extract or frangelico into the purée itself.

5-E24-B730-F90-B-48-B9-983-B-3692-D53-B7
37-AF8-CAF-2-F8-B-432-C-B1-BE-BA465-B140
A267-F55-C-6260-4452-A301-5-E1714-DF2208
4-DC10974-7-E39-47-CB-80-EC-EADB4-B99-E8
BBE4-CFF3-948-E-4-D4-C-965-D-B0098-EE3-F
577588-F4-9609-4950-B456-CDD65-E7-F77-AB

• 1 month later...