Sea Eagles

ShootingEgg

Are now on the Isle of White. Is this a good or bad thing.. 6 birds a year for 5 years will be released 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-49433490

Natural England said there was "no evidence" of eagles preying on lambs where they live alongside lowland sheep farms in Europe.

Edited by ShootingEgg

https://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/news/27727/nsa-launches-uk-wide-survey-to-capture-farmer-views-on-sea-eagle-release/

Just put out.

We have Sea and Golden  Eagles here, [highest density in Europe of Golden.] Some crofters report that lambs are being taken and to be honest why wouldn't Eagles take lambs. I suspect they are mostly carrion feeders here as we have plenty of dead sheep and Red Deer on the hill.  It will be interesting to see what they predate in the lowlands of England, guessing Pheasant.  I posed the question to avery about the ethics of releasing a non native bird into the countryside, as WJ are using the same argument against pheasants but he failed to answer.  The sight of an Eagle soaring above you is pure magic though ..:good:

I vote that it's a good thing, I love to see birds of prey because, for most of my life, there weren't any and just seeing a Kite or a Buzzard is still a thrill. Imagine seeing an Eagle in the south of England - it would be flipping orgasmic!!

We wiped them out in the first place, probably because they were taking our lambs. We shouldn't be surprised if they do it again, it's the nature of the beast and we need to be more tolerant.

5 minutes ago, martinj said:

I vote that it's a good thing, I love to see birds of prey because, for most of my life, there weren't any and just seeing a Kite or a Buzzard is still a thrill. Imagine seeing an Eagle in the south of England - it would be flipping orgasmic!!

We wiped them out in the first place, probably because they were taking our lambs. We shouldn't be surprised if they do it again, it's the nature of the beast and we need to be more tolerant.

hello, try saying that to the hard working farming families who spend 365 days a year looking after their sheep be it a 100/ 1000 or landowners with 1000 or more and employ staff. 

It all depends on the food source in the area and where they wander to.  There will undoubtedly be some cases of interaction with livestock in the early stages as they wander from the food release site - in the Scottish release in Fife I recall some attacks on a smallholder's fowl - but it will be the sustainable food source level that dictates whether or not the focus on livestock.

They are huge things, I had two fly lowish over my head whilst out goshawking one day as we had a roost site locally, it was rather unnerving for both of us!!

Edited by Mickeydredd

Well they are beautiful birds 😊

however they appear to be very territorial minimum of 80 square kilometres 

3 pairs a year for 3 years on a area total including towns road and such of 280 square kilometre? 

I assume that they are captive bread birds and hand reared so they maybe struggle to catch live prey 

not sure if it was a good idea to cut down the oak trees in the release area (so they could see the sea )🙄

anyway we shall see what happens 🤔although I fear for the brown hares as they do struggle a bit 

hopefully they will like seagulls and Brent geese and sometimes  the odd seasonal mullet from the estuary 

Edited by Old farrier
Spelling

Am I a cynic or is this just another stick to beat shooting with;

scenario  

IoW is not really sea eagle habitat.

Birds are released and either disappear or die of starvation

Nasty horrible shooters/game keepers have killed them

I hope I am wrong but the attitude of the people involved is not the well being of the eagles, they have other agendas.

23 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Well they are beautiful birds 😊

however they appear to be very territorial minimum of 80 square kilometres 

3 pairs a year for 3 years on a area total including towns road and such of 280 square kilometre? 

I assume that they are captive bread birds and hand reared so they maybe struggle to catch live prey 

not sure if it was a good idea to cut down the oak trees in the release area (so they could see the sea )🙄

anyway we shall see what happens 🤔although I fear for the brown hares as they do struggle a bit 

hopefully they will like seagulls and Brent geese and sunshine the odd seasonal mullet from the estuary 

Taken from the wild in Scotland, so probably just prior to fledging.

2 hours ago, henry d said:

This was the attack which is quite close to me and I have had one eye me and the dog out wildfowling one day!

Once they have tasted the blood of a clergy they will be back..😵 and what about the rspb response oh it was just a scratch, they should try having a Eagle on their back..😣

Wait till one is seen flying low over Newport clutching a poodle !  They will be on the GL

On 23/08/2019 at 08:56, martinj said:

Easy to say if it doesn't affect you personally.

Always amazed at how the few manage behind closed doors, to affect the lives of so many?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Just a update on the sea eagle released on the island if you’re planning on coming over to see them you’ll need to go to 

Kent🤭

or just south of London 🤔

0C86986C-EA34-4880-BE41-30490525146E.png

😀 well who would have thought that.. mind you taking geese from the serpentine will be a bit of a talking point

images.jpg.3b16fb0649d45b50fea1a710a5356ab0.jpg