The new Suzuki Vitara

Lloyd90

We’ve talked about the new Jimny but has anyone had one of the new ish Suzuki Vitaras? 

1.6L petrol engine - all grip wheels. 

Looks a bit more spacious then the older stuff.

Might to and test drive one. 

Still twiddling my thumbs re swapping the car lol 

If you aren't too worried about the pedestrian performance, the 1.6 is fine. It's also not the most economical for what it is, but is actually a nice car to drive, but could become a chore on a regular commute. If you are after better performance (and by that I mean not quite as slow), and can afford the higher purchase price, consider the same car but with either the 1.0 or 1.4 booster jet engines. 

I test drove both the vitara and sx4 and tried the 1.6 and the 1.4 engines last year before deciding on a subaru xv instead. Kinda wish I'd got the sx4 1.4 now, but that's life. 

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

If you aren't too worried about the pedestrian performance, the 1.6 is fine. It's also not the most economical for what it is, but is actually a nice car to drive, but could become a chore on a regular commute. If you are after better performance (and by that I mean not quite as slow), and can afford the higher purchase price, consider the same car but with either the 1.0 or 1.4 booster jet engines. 

I test drove both the vitara and sx4 and tried the 1.6 and the 1.4 engines last year before deciding on a subaru xv instead. Kinda wish I'd got the sx4 1.4 now, but that's life. 

A 1.0 or even a 1.4 engine having more grunt than a 1.6 🤔 how does that work? 

What kind of other cars would you compare them with?

Mrs J. had the old square 1600Vitara and loved it like only a woman can, in the end it had to go and now she has an old Grand Vitara 1600, it comes a close second to the original. It can go anywhere on a shoot and she gets 2 dogs in a cage in the back and takes herself off to do Gun Dog training and tests at the weekends, it's her bit of independence. No idea about the new ones, maybe one day. We're not so keen on the rounded shape of new 4x4's in general but that's progress I guess. Suzuki spares can be Ex-Pen-Sive! but don't let that put you off.

20 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

A 1.0 or even a 1.4 engine having more grunt than a 1.6 🤔 how does that work? 

What kind of other cars would you compare them with?

The 1.0 and 1.4 booster jet engines are turbocharged. They are actually the same engines found in the fiat 500 and the other small fiat's and alf romeos. More horsepower and more torque makes them more sprightly to drive, but the smaller capacity and the fact that they are much more advanced than the older 1.6, means they are more economical too. 

Since diesels have become the target of the eco brigade, smaller capacity turbocharged engines are likely to be the immediate future of a lot of family hatches/small suv type cars like the eco boost engines in the ford fiesta and focus, the tsi engines in smaller vws. 

Edited by adzyvilla

27 minutes ago, martinj said:

Mrs J. had the old square 1600Vitara and loved it like only a woman can, in the end it had to go and now she has an old Grand Vitara 1600, it comes a close second to the original. It can go anywhere on a shoot and she gets 2 dogs in a cage in the back and takes herself off to do Gun Dog training and tests at the weekends, it's her bit of independence. No idea about the new ones, maybe one day. We're not so keen on the rounded shape of new 4x4's in general but that's progress I guess. Suzuki spares can be Ex-Pen-Sive! but don't let that put you off.

Thats exactly what I want one for, getting out shooting and with the dog. 

When you think about it, 99% of driving is on motorways and busier roads to get to the shoot, then if you can’t walk you may drive a handful of miles or few hundred yards “off road”. 

22 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

The 1.0 and 1.4 booster jet engines are turbocharged. They are actually the same engines found in the fiat 500 and the other small fiat's and alf romeos. More horsepower and more torque makes them more sprightly to drive, but the smaller capacity and the fact that they are much more advanced than the older 1.6, means they are more economical too. 

Since diesels have become the target of the eco brigade, smaller capacity turbocharged engines are likely to be the immediate future of a lot of family hatches/small suv type cars like the eco boost engines in the ford fiesta and focus, the tsi engines in smaller vws. 

The ones on auto trader are showing worse fuel economy on these 1.4 engines than the slightly older 1.6... is it different between the specs? 🤔

Possibly. I think real world driving will show better economy for the turbo'd cars (depending on how they are driven as the 1.6 will have to be worked harder) at least that's what most of the trade reviewers have said. I didn't really get to test the economy on my test drives. 

I have a 2012 grand vitara 2.4 petrol and the new ones are smaller inside otherwise I might have bought one, but the 2012 model I bought was very low mileage and has all the toys and was cheaper than a newer vitara. not sure the new ones have diff lock? Mine goes well but likes a drink (like some women  I know).

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

same weight small engine more revs more fuel bigger engine less revs less fuel

You would think that but I know new trucks have smaller engines, but they are more fuel efficient and more powerful sometimes as well. 

All about advances in technology and efficiency I think. 

9 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You would think that but I know new trucks have smaller engines, but they are more fuel efficient and more powerful sometimes as well. 

All about advances in technology and efficiency I think. 

Engine is smaller but weighs less, is geared differently and due to the addition of a turbocharger, has more torque and more horsepower so doesn't have to work as hard to move the car around. 

The newer smaller engine is much more technologicially advanced than the older (slightly) bigger displacement engine in terms of turbo geometry, direct injection and valve timing. Adding a turbo these days can make a car much more efficient. 

4 hours ago, stu64 said:

I have a 2012 grand vitara 2.4 petrol and the new ones are smaller inside otherwise I might have bought one, but the 2012 model I bought was very low mileage and has all the toys and was cheaper than a newer vitara. not sure the new ones have diff lock? Mine goes well but likes a drink (like some women  I know).

I have a 2.4 short wheel base and it is a cracking little motor, but as said uses petrol, the seats fold up so square flat area in back

i have had the old 1.3 suzuki  it was a good wee runner and not too bad on fuel i also had a couple of older vitara's  the were not so good on fuel but had a wee bit more room  my jeep cherokee liberty 3.7 auto does 30 odd to the gallon and is a lot more weight and room towing weight 3 1/2 ton

Edited by scarecrow243

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

i have had the old 1.3 suzuki  it was a good wee runner and not too bad on fuel i also had a couple of older vitara's  the were not so good on fuel but had a wee bit more room  my jeep cherokee liberty 3.7 auto does 30 odd to the gallon and is a lot more weight and room towing weight 3 1/2 ton

I don’t want it for towing, heaviest thing it will have is a dog box in the back and need to be able to drive across fields to get to dog tests etc. 

I would buy a Jimny but they’re high on tax and rubbish on fuel. 

Take a 1.4 turbo out Lloyd.I bought a 1ltr Swift zt (turbo)at begining June and it's a hoot.Done nearly 7k in it already and returning 57mpg.Its has plenty of power and 70mph @ 2.5 rpm it's smooth.Susan also took delivery of her new Ignis in July after she missed her 17plate that I traded for the Swift.Thats only a naturally aspirated 1.2 but lovely to drive and currently after 600 mms is averaging 62 mpg.18 month waiting list for the Jimny now,my names still on the list but min 12mths at the mo.

Love Suzuki they are the only car I've had that only go back for servicing.Never had a bit of bother, even when I ran the old Jimny's & Vitara.

7242019233812.jpg

7242019233758.jpg

Edited by Davyo

10 hours ago, Davyo said:

Take a 1.4 turbo out Lloyd.I bought a 1ltr Swift zt (turbo)at begining June and it's a hoot.Done nearly 7k in it already and returning 57mpg.Its has plenty of power and 70mph @ 2.5 rpm it's smooth.Susan also took delivery of her new Ignis in July after she missed her 17plate that I traded for the Swift.Thats only a naturally aspirated 1.2 but lovely to drive and currently after 600 mms is averaging 62 mpg.18 month waiting list for the Jimny now,my names still on the list but min 12mths at the mo.

Love Suzuki they are the only car I've had that only go back for servicing.Never had a bit of bother, even when I ran the old Jimny's & Vitara.

7242019233812.jpg

7242019233758.jpg

Ive been reading about them a lot last night. Correct me if I’m wrong: 

The boost jet is the new turbo injected engine and more efficient and responsive. 

The AllGrip is the all wheel drive aka the 4x4 which kicks in when needed. 

The top spec SZ5 appears to be hit and miss, it has automatic radar warning/braking which a few people are reporting likes to give warnings when there’s nothing there 😣

Also the stop start seems a bit hit and miss and the sat nav **** 🤷‍♂️

I might go and look at the S spec base model on the 1.4 boost jet allgrip. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Ive been reading about them a lot last night. Correct me if I’m wrong: 

The boost jet is the new turbo injected engine and more efficient and responsive. 

The AllGrip is the all wheel drive aka the 4x4 which kicks in when needed. 

The top spec SZ5 appears to be hit and miss, it has automatic radar warning/braking which a few people are reporting likes to give warnings when there’s nothing there 😣

Also the stop start seems a bit hit and miss and the sat nav **** 🤷‍♂️

I might go and look at the S spec base model on the 1.4 boost jet allgrip. 

Mid range Lloyd, the radar thing is pants anyway. You will get a infotainment screen and just use Waze.There is a SD card slot for Maps but I think it's £200 lol.Just connect phone via USB and you simply press the Speech button on the steering wheel and say where you want to go.It auto switches to Waze or Google Maps dep on what apps on your phone.

I have the swift mid range so thankfully don't have stop/start.Hated it on the Fiesta.The engine is much better I think than the Ford ecoboost (never thought I'd every say that)

I'd take both 1ltr and 1.4 out for test drives if I where you Lloyd as ive never had the new Vit out so cant compare.However i have had the new Swift Sport out in 1.4t and loved it.But mote for the looks and spec,id be quite happy to have the 1ltr in the Sport.Drive both and see which you prefer Stoneace are great for tests,I took there demo Swift out and was gone nearly 2hrs.

Edited by Davyo

36 minutes ago, figgy said:

Drop 100milesaway a pm she had a few Vitaras and had the new model of late.  She used to do a lot of miles going round the country clay shooting.  Lives in a rural area so should be a good source of info on Mpg and ride quality etc.

Thanks I’ll try and look her up when home 👍🏻

6 minutes ago, B725 said:

Lloyd why don't you just buy Ditchmans Landrover. 

I saw that the other day. 

Im not sure it’ll suit as a daily drive / distance runner. 

Also I believe Ditchman is a highly skilled man, where as I am little more than an oaf. 

He had that thing running sweet, I think I would break it on the drive home and never fix it again 😂

I was only just capable of taking the seat off my 125 van van today to charge the battery.