employment contracts and salaries

paul1966

quick question i applied for different job in the same company 12 months ago, got the job new contract and pay rise, due to a combination of reasons, none of which are my fault i am still in my original role so i asked what options i had for staying where i am now. The manager has now stated they will advertise my original role and state they have a strong candidate (me) then he mentioned wages and from i understood they will base my salary on what i was on before i applied for a transfer. surely if i have a new contract they have to use the salary i am on now?. if they use the previous salary i would be about a grand worse off. Am i correct?

Paul1966. If I was you I would stay with the new contract and higher income and hold them to it if they try to change that.  Can you say why the new role has not evolved as it was expected to?   If they have changed their mind and are trying to back pedal on their offer then they are at fault and I think - legally obliged to compensate you.  Talk to your union if there is one or at least go online to the nearest (to your type of work) and seek further advice.  Failing that speak with a solicitor who deals with employment law - even CAB would be a good start.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Pushkin:good:

Do you mean that they want to change the salary of your new role (which you haven't started yet) to your previous salary or that if you take your original role back they'll reduce your salary back to what it was in that role?

Edited by Deker

12 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Just to be clear, you want your old job back, but not at the salary that goes with that job. 

its a bit more complicated than that, in my old role i had extra duties for which many years ago i was given £1000/yr on top of my basic wages. when i applied for my new job they took my total salary inc the 1k and gave me a bit extra on top for moving. since i have took the new role they have restructured the pay for the extra duties, basically they took back the 1k and gave an 8% pay rise based on your basic wage. What i think they will do now is take of the rise i got for the new role plus the 1k i had originally and give me 8% on my previous old wage. its confusing but hopefully you follow.

just to add i am happy for them to take back the small rise i had when i took the new job, but not the 1k i had for the extra duties as that was took as the baseline for my wage in the new role.

12 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Paul1966. If I was you I would stay with the new contract and higher income and hold them to it if they try to change that.  Can you say why the new role has not evolved as it was expected to?   If they have changed their mind and are trying to back pedal on their offer then they are at fault and I think - legally obliged to compensate you.  Talk to your union if there is one or at least go online to the nearest (to your type of work) and seek further advice.  Failing that speak with a solicitor who deals with employment law - even CAB would be a good start.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Pushkin:good:

its not evolved as they can't find anyone to replace me, we deal a lot with agencies who have'nt a clue what we do.

Edited by paul1966

Be careful, I recently had to sign a new contract with the council as they had merged, along with the new payscales. If I didn't sign the new contract (which had loads of new **** in it, like no second jobs, 2 years wait or pay back a course you've done, get paid monthly ((still by ******* check, it's like the 1990s))ect ect) , they'd sack me, and re advertise the job which I could re apply for but I'd lose all existing pay rises I've incurred along the way. Kind of similar.

Be careful.