“A chat on a train”

old'un

Just read Avery’s latest blog titled “A chat on a train” what a load of bull **** this man comes out with, if you reload cartridges your days are numbered…

Mark Avery.

i sat next to a young man and we got chatting, as you do, about delayed trains, rain and power cuts. He told me he was interested in nature and had reared Kestrels and Barn Owls as a kid. He now kept Harris’s Hawks which he fed on rabbits, some of which he shot. Spontaneously, he told me about how lead is a poison and that it’s very important to use non-toxic ammunition to shoot rabbits for his birds and for his family. He even told me that handling lead pellets is a foolish thing to do because the lead can be absorbed through the skin and as a vapour. He had no idea who I was: why should he?

He showed me his BASC membership card and said that he was only a member because of the insurance aspects. I asked whether he knew BASC’s line on lead and he said he didn’t, but he didn’t really care because he had researched it himself.

We shook hands as I left at Milton Keynes. Nice young man. We’ll probably never meet again.

Edited by old'un

17 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Avery on field sports Britain “ I’m a scientist you are not” that’s as maybe ,but I wouldn’t trust u to look after my kids 

This is exactly my worry,  if he gets his way the countryside that supports a wide variety of wildlife now will be destroyed, your children will only get to see a curlew if they go to a museum

The conversation would be a bit like this 

I sat next to a large man who was eating a pie 

so to make the time pass I struck up a conversation 

he told me he was interested in nature 

🤭

do you actually own any land maybe 2or 3 thousand acres? 

Er no 

well maybe if you did and tried to make a living from it you could have a better idea of the real world 

have you got any pets or do you keep any animals at-all chicken ducks maybe?

Do you hunt /shoot your own food? Growing your own fresh veg and fruits? 

Er no

so you prefer something from a supermarket that you don’t know the origin of ? 

Er yes  

he went on to tell me about the expense account lunches he had and the carbon footprint of each of the meals that he freeloads on a regular basis 

i left at Audley street I doubt that I’ll see him again 

3 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

The conversation would be a bit like this 

I sat next to a large man who was eating a pie 

so to make the time pass I struck up a conversation 

he told me he was interested in nature 

🤭

do you actually own any land maybe 2or 3 thousand acres? 

Er no 

well maybe if you did and tried to make a living from it you could have a better idea of the real world 

have you got any pets or do you keep any animals at-all chicken ducks maybe?

Do you hunt /shoot your own food? Growing your own fresh veg and fruits? 

Er no

so you prefer something from a supermarket that you don’t know the origin of ? 

Er yes  

he went on to tell me about the expense account lunches he had and the carbon footprint of each of the meals that he freeloads on a regular basis 

i left at Audley street I doubt that I’ll see him again 

Class !

2 hours ago, old'un said:

He even told me that handling lead pellets is a foolish thing to do because the lead can be absorbed through the skin and as a vapour.

Two utter muppets who'll believe everything they read, without the merest hint of introspection or critical thinking.  I wonder how many houses have still have some lead piping in the water supply somewhere, completely unbeknown to the occupier, say buried in the floor between the outside stop tap and the shut-off valve inside?

Small off-topic anecdote:

At the height of the GL fiasco, I was travelling back from Barrow-in-Furness to Bristol via train (for work).  Had to change trains - the name of the station escapes me, but stood next to me on the platform was Adam Henson, of TownieFile fame.   I was sorely tempted to ask him to have a word with his producer and ask where the coverage of the GL was?  Surely it affected him as a sheep farmer?

...But I was far too British and polite.

11 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Two utter muppets who'll believe everything they read, without the merest hint of introspection or critical thinking.  I wonder how many houses have still have some lead piping in the water supply somewhere, completely unbeknown to the occupier, say buried in the floor between the outside stop tap and the shut-off valve inside?

Small off-topic anecdote:

At the height of the GL fiasco, I was travelling back from Barrow-in-Furness to Bristol via train (for work).  Had to change trains - the name of the station escapes me, but stood next to me on the platform was Adam Henson, of TownieFile fame.   I was sorely tempted to ask him to have a word with his producer and ask where the coverage of the GL was?  Surely it affected him as a sheep farmer?

...But I was far too British and polite.

well there we have the problem of everything...............the "people".....have in years gone by been releived of all desision making responsibility....they are becoming totally inept.......

and that is how it is engineered............if folk are like that ...they are easy to control........and they really cant see it

that happened in the medievil times ....the lords owned you body and soul...but they gave you the church....which kept them quiet...as they knew everything would be fine when they died.........

the same is now cept it is football......sport........social media ...mobile phones etc.....so as long as the people are engaged in those activities....then the govt can get on and do what it wants.............

yes it is all toungue in cheek...............but not that far from the truth...

16 hours ago, old'un said:

Just read Avery’s latest blog titled “A chat on a train” what a load of bull **** this man comes out with, if you reload cartridges your days are numbered…

Mark Avery.

i sat next to a young man and we got chatting, as you do, about delayed trains, rain and power cuts. He told me he was interested in nature and had reared Kestrels and Barn Owls as a kid. He now kept Harris’s Hawks which he fed on rabbits, some of which he shot. Spontaneously, he told me about how lead is a poison and that it’s very important to use non-toxic ammunition to shoot rabbits for his birds and for his family. He even told me that handling lead pellets is a foolish thing to do because the lead can be absorbed through the skin and as a vapour. He had no idea who I was: why should he?

He showed me his BASC membership card and said that he was only a member because of the insurance aspects. I asked whether he knew BASC’s line on lead and he said he didn’t, but he didn’t really care because he had researched it himself.

We shook hands as I left at Milton Keynes. Nice young man. We’ll probably never meet again.

Exactly, you then go on to clarify. Why should he indeed; are you someone special?

The man seems to make a habit of travelling on trains in order to strike up conversations with complete strangers judging by some of his outporings. Methinks he needs watching.

I wonder if he asked if he was a scientist to!? Because they belittle, don't believe, listen to or want to engage with anyone that isn't. . . . Petition  has slowed up but looks like they gona make the 100k  sigs needed.  It at three times more than Avery got last time he tried now. They moaning about how the gov have delayed dealing with it for so long. Hinting at  some wrong doing! NB

8 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Exactly, you then go on to clarify. Why should he indeed; are you someone special?

The man seems to make a habit of travelling on trains in order to strike up conversations with complete strangers judging by some of his outporings. Methinks he needs watching.

I have been saying that about him for years Wymberley! No one seem bothered! I hope they are right!!!  He's a smiling knife! Got his book  Inglorious when it first came out to help find out what they about. It one of the few books i'll never finish! Load of one sided protectionist Bull!    NB

The question of lead shot is just another stick to beat us with. For twenty odd years we as a club used to hire a clay layout from a farmer in Cupid Green in Hertfordshire one Sunday a month. The layout was used by other clubs the rest of the time, and during the week so it was booked practically every day.

We alone contributed about a ton of lead a year onto his fields and so it would be a very low estimate to say twenty tons a year went down every year for over twenty years. His dairy herd grazed those same fields during that time every day.

He used to complain the Milk Marketing Board were  always on his case, testing his milk for lead. It was a very strained relationship but in twenty years the MMB never found a trace of lead in the milk