New rifle advice

john m

the only common problem is the ejector claw breaking and they are like hens teeth to find, having said that I have owned a Mark 2 International since 1963 and it is still shooting as good now as when I first had it. Make sure it has the correct sights as these on ebay cost more than you pay for the complete gun. All the ones I have shot are accurate and in competition capable of shooting scores in the high 90s.

Most target shooters steer clear of the Mk3 as sling tension can effect the floating barrel, the Mk 4 is my favourite as it is 4lbs lighter than the other Marks as it was made when the international shooting federation set a new upper  weight limit for target rifles. My advice is get a Mark 2, 4 or 5.

Stuart   

5 hours ago, john m said:

Have to agree with that i used to shoot a Martini BSA when i was a yoof

I did before moving to match 54. great guns but got overtook by the anscuhtz. Been away from that sport for ten years now so I don't know what everyone are using now

On 24/08/2019 at 13:06, Stuarta said:

the only common problem is the ejector claw breaking and they are like hens teeth to find, having said that I have owned a Mark 2 International since 1963 and it is still shooting as good now as when I first had it. Make sure it has the correct sights as these on ebay cost more than you pay for the complete gun. All the ones I have shot are accurate and in competition capable of shooting scores in the high 90s.

Most target shooters steer clear of the Mk3 as sling tension can effect the floating barrel, the Mk 4 is my favourite as it is 4lbs lighter than the other Marks as it was made when the international shooting federation set a new upper  weight limit for target rifles. My advice is get a Mark 2, 4 or 5.

Stuart  

Thanks, seen a match 54  with a short barrel , also a mk 2 BSA with sights might go for look tomorrow also a couple of Russian copies of match 54's.

There are a lot of BSA Martini's on the market must be a good reason for it.

Edited by john m

22 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The decline in .22 prone target shooting mainly. 

Certainly true at my club, sometimes there's only two of us turn up and just me shooting. Contemplating a move to another club. Shame but it may be forced on me.

8 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Certainly true at my club, sometimes there's only two of us turn up and just me shooting. Contemplating a move to another club. Shame but it may be forced on me.

That's sad.

However I bought a 22lr for vermin shooting I though I might get into target shooting also. One day I stumbled across a man who was a member or organiser of the only club around. I expressed a little interest and it was met with a surprising amount of negativity. I wasn't just intending on just turning up and shooting in the slightest but the man still said, 'well you cant just turn up, you need to be vetted, inducted, checked to make sure your safe with a firearm, make sure you have the right calibre. It not just as easy as asking to join mate' all said in a rather off putting tone.

I thought after i'll give it a miss, and putting a target up in a field has to be cheaper anyway. Shame really. 

39 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

There used to be about 80 shooters in our club all competing in leagues. Some of the leagues we would have three or four teams competing ie A team ,B team etc. Its all gone now and so has the club. Many of the clubs we used to shoot against have gone too

36 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There used to be about 80 shooters in our club all competing in leagues. Some of the leagues we would have three or four teams competing ie A team ,B team etc. Its all gone now and so has the club. Many of the clubs we used to shoot against have gone too

That's a pretty sad state of affairs. Is there a .22 target club left around Bristol?