Guardian leather gun slip.

steve1066

Hi Folks

just wondered if anyone on PW has purchased a Guardian Leather gun slip from GDK on EBay.

just trying to find out if they are real leather and do they wear well.

The company does not word the description as real leather but “guardian leather” is guardian leather real leather? Or a PU

Thanks in advance.

I have been trying o find out for ages. Just cant get a straight answer. People say all sorts of wrong things about leather. All I could find is that you are allowed to call it leather even if its made up of certain leather "slurries" with a leather looking finish or even a real leather skim.

Yes if it's PU they should state that.  "Leather" really is a process and the product can be called leather even if it's goat, Buffalo ,or other. Does not have to come from a cow. Now FULL GRAIN COW HIDE is the real deal and anyone selling goods made of that ALWAYS say so.

It's a minefield. Some of the best real leather around comes from India. "so does some of the worst".

Edited by DUNKS

I’ve got one. If I’m being honest it cost £99 & is ok. It looks, feels & smells like leather.

Ive had it for a year now & had a number of proper wet weather game days where the inside gas stayed dry with no real rain through the zip etc.

That said, the colour from the leather is badly worn around the rim around the barrel end & also the top where I have it in my hands as I put the gun back in. It’s gone pinkish with wear so obviously a stain that’s not hard wearing.

28 minutes ago, Alex1Nat2 said:

I’ve got one. If I’m being honest it cost £99 & is ok. It looks, feels & smells like leather.

Ive had it for a year now & had a number of proper wet weather game days where the inside gas stayed dry with no real rain through the zip etc.

That said, the colour from the leather is badly worn around the rim around the barrel end & also the top where I have it in my hands as I put the gun back in. It’s gone pinkish with wear so obviously a stain that’s not hard wearing.

Thank you for your comments Alex1 Nat2

I have seen a few of these, Chinese made and of poor quality in my opinion, they're cheap for a reason - if you don't want to pay Croots money, go for a teales I have one and for the money its on a par with the best - you get free initialling too. My brother has an Ogdens its very good as well

Edited by Bungle The Bear
spelling

15 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

I have seen a few of these, Chinese made and of poor quality in my opinion, they're cheap for a reason - if you don't want to pay Croots money, go for a teales I have one and for the money its on a par with the best - you get free initialling too. My brother has an Odgens its very good as well

Good advice.

I picked up a nice one by Trickers … they had some good leather left over so made a few slips out of it. It won't be wearing out soon!!

I have one of these Guardian slips. Nothing wrong with the gun case itself but where the strap is attached to the case the leather has worn badly to a point where the strap has worn through the ''leather''. A local cobbler has recently repaired it for me. Not a pretty repair but functional enough as its been relegated for rough shooting now.

A better bet is one of these for similar money.

https://www.ogdensshootingsupplies.co.uk/shotgun-slips/cambridge-gun-slip

I have got one and its a far superior bit of kit. Looks good and the leather is real quality which has shown no signs of wear.

Don't do as I did by buying ''cheap'' I bought twice.!!

Rich

I have one.....GDK268

had it about 6 months

looks to be well made, well padded inside.  I have conditioned it a few times with wife's horse tack  fettilng stuff and it is certainly leather. Shoulder strap could be a bit better.  Carrying handles are on same side as the zip which I prefer should the zip fail the gun is still in the slip and not on the floor covered in tears