Krieghoff Service

Cawdor118

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Cawdor118 said:

£300 a year though? Considering the DT10 has been flawless for years? As an engineer, i fully understand the principle of the servicing. 

I'm just a little dubious of the periodicity of maintenance on the K80. Is it because they are fragile?

Not at all, it's basically because they can spot a good ruse when they see it. You've already heard people above say that just because you've bought an expensive gun you should think nothing of spending £2-300 every 12 months to "service" it ! By that logic buying a handmade Purdey costing £130,000 should mean having to service it every fortnight, just because you could afford it in the first place. 

As with many things to do with shooting when you think about it rationally it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny, why should a well made expensive gun made from the very best materials and precision CNC machinery and hand assembled "need" servicing so regularly when MUCH cheaper machine made guns don't AND continue to function for tens of thousands of rounds without malfunction. I've heard K80 owners say they get handed a pack of replaced parts which look new ! 

The reality is that guns are NOT like cars at all, they don't have anywhere near the number, type and complexity of parts that would require routine lubricant change or bits such as filters or pads being replaced, even cars costing £40,000  have close to TWO year service intervals, in short it's a handy scam, the dealer makes money and the owner gets that warm, satisfying  smugasyoulike feeling. 

I have never had a gun serviced (in over 35 years) and any parts replaced would have had to have been replaced regardless of whether I'd paid someone annually to open and close the action for a look see. Years ago I once sent my original spec 682 to a gunsmith for the barrels to be ported, while there I asked him to replace the ejector springs as they seemed a tad feeble, he said there was no need as they could be carefully stretched to re-invigorate them but said he'll give the gun a going over just in case. He then went on to assemble the gun bone dry to the extent it seized solid in the middle of a comp and I had to go back to the office to get it freed up and lubed. So much for servicing. 

Edited by Hamster

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

Not at all, it's basically because they can spot a good ruse when they see it. You've already heard people above say that just because you've bought an expensive gun you should think nothing of spending £2-300 every 12 months to "service" it ! By that logic buying a handmade Purdey costing £130,000 should mean having to service it every fortnight, just because you could afford it in the first place. 

As with many things to do with shooting when you think about it rationally it simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny, why should a well made expensive gun made from the very best materials and precision CNC machinery and hand assembled "need" servicing so regularly when MUCH cheaper machine made guns don't AND continue to function for tens of thousands of rounds without malfunction. I've heard K80 owners say they get handed a pack of replaced parts which look new ! 

The reality is that guns are NOT like cars at all, they don't have anywhere near the number, type and complexity of parts that would require routine lubricant change or bits such as filters or pads being replaced, even cars costing £40,000  have close to TWO year service intervals, in short it's a handy scam, the dealer makes money and the owner gets that warm, satisfying  smugasyoulike feeling. 

I have never had a gun serviced (in over 35 years) and any parts replaced would have had to have been replaced regardless of whether I'd paid someone annually to open and close the action for a look see. Years ago I once sent my original spec 682 to a gunsmith for the barrels to be ported, while there I asked him to replace the ejector springs as they seemed a tad feeble, he said there was no need as they could be carefully stretched to re-invigorate them but said he'll give the gun a going over just in case. He then went on to assemble the gun bone dry to the extent it seized solid in the middle of a comp and I had to go back to the office to get it freed up and lubed. So much for servicing. 

It was my suspicion that it is the manufacturer trying it on. 

Just now, Cawdor118 said:

It was my suspicion that it is the manufacturer trying it on. 

When I bought my first house I had a professionally installed alarm and had to sign some sort of service contract which entitled me to a "free" first annual visit, sure enough I forgot to cancel it and they called to come round for a quick cup of tea and whatever silly amount the scam cost. I had to really put my foot down and insist I wasn't going to pay them to check what clearly didn't need checking. 

I have since moved twice and lived in current house for almost 20 years with the same alarm I had installed when we moved in, I myself had the sensors changed last year because they looked skanky, their function was still fine. 

Prolly saved close to £five grand not having various shot guns "serviced" over the years. 

Good posts Hamster.  A good gunsmith gave me some advice, he said if you want to keep the internals of the gun running nice and smoothly take the stock off once a year and using a feather dipped into good quality gun oil, run that over the moving parts.  Just the merest brush of oil will keep it sufficiently lubricated.

I also found it interesting at the recent world fitasc sporting at Churchill's, Guerini were happy to give my gun 'a service' free of charge, as they did for anybody with a CG gun.  In essence it was a thorough clean, replacing the ejector springs, lubing inside the actions and even offered to replace the necessary bits on my Invictus to tighten it back up to 'as new' all FOC.  I declined the offer to tighten it up, it has taken a lot of shells to get it nicely loosened to the point i like it.

A service at the K gun stand was £200 and it was busy constantly.

How can a firm selling guns at a price point of £3k-£5k give the service free, but the £10k plus guns need a wad of cash shelled out on them?

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

I have never had a gun serviced (in over 35 years) and any parts replaced would have had to have been replaced regardless of whether I'd paid someone annually to open and close the action for a look see.

+1

I have had repairs - broken springs (2 in over 40 years), cracked firing pins replaced (3 in 40 years I think); it is unlikely that 'service' would have avoided these sudden unpredictable events.

My guns are well cleaned and dried if they get wet, and inspected carefully periodically (including removing the locks).  Any remedial work (loose ribs, loose joint, etc.) are attended to by a gunsmith as and when needed.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Is it the same with anything “expensive” that is “recommend” an annual service.

ln the early 90’s l had the pleasure of buying an Omega Speedmaster and it was worn day in day out from the very first, but if you wanted to be perfectly on time you’d have bought a Casio with a nice plastic strap for not a lot.

Now said watch is a sealed unit, dust and water cannot get in and it had nothing done to it until l retired in 2013, it was dented and bruised and was sent in for a service/refurb, and for the costly sum of £550 it was returned , shiny, with a new bezel, glass and  crown and  is still the lousiest time keeper you could want on your wrist.

Would l get rid of it , never, but it now only comes out on high days and holidays, would l have it serviced again, nope not in my lifetime.

So l cannot see why someone would want have a shotgun serviced annually just because they have used it but have incurred no problems.

Make me wrong 🙄

It occurred to me just yesterday I had my cars 2nd service done and in accordance with the computers wishes I asked them to also replace the brake fluid and change the front brake pads (even though it said 3200 miles - present mileage 34000). Now, there is nothing inside the action of a gun that would be subjected to the kinds of friction and forces that the pads on a car weighting 1.7+ ton would and yet they'd managed 2-1/2 years and could quite conceivably make it to 3 ! The rear pads have 11000 miles left in them ! 

I do of course accept that pads are designed to wear but then the parts inside a guns action are tempered and designed not to ! 

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Why do they need an annual service? Are parts wearing? Is dust accumulating in the action? I wouldn't buy a gun that demanded that level of service.

Exactly!!! I had an old mate who shot nothing but hand made Browning's from the 70s..he always asked why perazzis and the new upmarket guns came with spares.....his guns shot hundreds of thousands of shells and never needed anything other than cleaned

On 24/08/2019 at 16:09, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you buy a prestige gun it is reasonably sensible to have it serviced?

When it fails at a shoot off you may well regret not having it serviced.

18 hours ago, bornfree said:

Just buy a 68 series Beretta. Never need servicing and never go wrong no regrets no worries.

I have several and service them myself!

Simples!

download.jpg

Ok folks retired gunsmith talking . Yes a gun should be serviced every 12 months or 5000 shots  .When its been wet or when its been sitting in the cabinet and not used . .🤣🤣.

Realistically  a periodic strip and clean every 3/4 years for normal use will not do any harm and may well spot potential problems . If a gun is used very heavily then say every 2 years .

Game guns that are used in all weathers and get very wet I would advise a annual  end of season check .

Question is what constitutes a service ?  That will depend on who you talk to , so make sure you know exactly what is going to be done 

Dependent on the gun and its age and  useage  it can be a simple strip to component parts , clean lubricate and re assemble checking for function  and wear , polishing bores and chokes , as it is amazing how much leading can build up in a multi choke .  On top of this you can add tightening forend and bites raising dents in barrels cleaning out checkering and oiling wood if needed  ,replacing worn strikers etc.etc .

This all comes down to discussion with your gunsmith . 

I started with a joke and yes we like  getting paid but please remember its your hobby but our living so we do have to charge realistic hourly rates and to fully stip a gun down and reassemble it can take a couple of hours if you factor in admin and time spent with you .

4 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Ok folks retired gunsmith talking . Yes a gun should be serviced every 12 months or 5000 shots  .When its been wet or when its been sitting in the cabinet and not used . .🤣🤣.

Realistically  a periodic strip and clean every 3/4 years for normal use will not do any harm and may well spot potential problems . If a gun is used very heavily then say every 2 years .

Game guns that are used in all weathers and get very wet I would advise a annual  end of season check .

Question is what constitutes a service ?  That will depend on who you talk to , so make sure you know exactly what is going to be done 

Dependent on the gun and its age and  useage  it can be a simple strip to component parts , clean lubricate and re assemble checking for function  and wear , polishing bores and chokes , as it is amazing how much leading can build up in a multi choke .  On top of this you can add tightening forend and bites raising dents in barrels cleaning out checkering and oiling wood if needed  ,replacing worn strikers etc.etc .

This all comes down to discussion with your gunsmith . 

I started with a joke and yes we like  getting paid but please remember its your hobby but our living so we do have to charge realistic hourly rates and to fully stip a gun down and reassemble it can take a couple of hours if you factor in admin and time spent with you .

Very good post 👍😊

iv had some of mine serviced over the years and always found it a asset when trading up and peace of mind to know that they were in safe working order 

just out of interest if you don’t mind gunman how many of those guns you serviced were potentially dangerous for the user or likely to have a massive failure on the next important day 

thanks for posting 😊