Krieghoff Service

Cawdor118

Never had mine serviced in the time I had it. They reckon 25k carts or X amount of time. Don't forget RFD costs and any springs or pins etc are charged extra for. Watch Johnny on the Gunshop videos saying how hard and good the material is and how well.machined and fitted inside a K80 action is. Why would you service it, apart from its necessary to keep up the ten year warranty. Rip off.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, figgy said:

Never had mine serviced in the time I had it. They reckon 25k carts or X amount of time. Don't forget RFD costs and any springs or pins etc are charged extra for. Watch Johnny on the Gunshop videos saying how hard and good the material is and how well.machined and fitted inside a K80 action is. Why would you service it, apart from its necessary to keep up the ten year warranty. Rip off.

Did you punt yours in the end? I fancy one. An itch to scratch. 

I sold it as I stopped using it, lovely gun but after hurting my lower back, the gun was too heavy for certain targets like driven and quick crossers,caused me no end of lumber and sciatic pain.  Sat in cabinet barely used for near on two years, every now and again I'd take it out shoot very well with it and then suffer pain for a week or more.

Moved to using a semi auto and enjoy my shooting without pain caused by the guns inertia.

If not for my back I would still have it. If you want one can afford to buy one go for it, your only here once.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

All parts are inclusive in the service. I've had a couple of K80's done and the service while you are there and what is replaced to be honest is second to none and the old parts are given back to you.

Did they "need" a service? And the 10 year warranty is transferable and the service is not compulsory to validate the warranty.

Blaser F3 your info is different from what was told from them.  I no longer have the paperwork with all the info as the gun has gone. I'm sure the amount of carts was 25k now it's 20k and the intervals are now shorter, was something like four years. I'll have to look but I think I threw the paperwork out months ago.

Still says on the UK Kreighoff site service charges are from a base price. Pricing is £100 per hour and parts are additional cost. 

Things change and I never had mine done was oy three months old when I bought it and never had the amount of carts to require a service.   You know better than I as you did have yours serviced.

Edited by figgy

41 minutes ago, figgy said:

Blaser F3 your info is different from what was told from them.  I no longer have the paperwork with all the info as the gun has gone. I'm sure the amount of carts was 25k now it's 20k and the intervals are now shorter, was something like four years. I'll have to look but I think I threw the paperwork out months ago.

Still says on the UK Kreighoff site service charges are from a base price. Pricing is £100 per hour and parts are additional cost. 

Things change and I never had mine done was oy three months old when I bought it and never had the amount of carts to require a service.   You know better than I as you did have yours serviced.

http://www.alanrhone.com/service-krieghoffservice.html It cost me £175 about six years ago, £230 now, bit of an increase.

15 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Very good post 👍😊

iv had some of mine serviced over the years and always found it a asset when trading up and peace of mind to know that they were in safe working order 

just out of interest if you don’t mind gunman how many of those guns you serviced were potentially dangerous for the user or likely to have a massive failure on the next important day 

thanks for posting 😊

It was my habit on older guns that were not known to the Co , to check for proof ,walls ,ribs and stock . Not uncommon to find  ribs /loops  coming loose . Mushroomed over or distorted strikers .I have also found cracked sidelock tumblers , springs with one claw missing , screws with stripped or  partially stripped threads .Occasionally cracked stocks and a whole host of other minor problems . 

All had the potential to cause problems and could have put the gun out of action at any time ,the next day or next season , .

I did come across a few dangerous guns mainly barrels , pits bulges and a couple with pin holes through the tubes .Stocks that were loose . Mainly these were guns that had not been cared for and needed a good overhaul .

On the whole these were older SxS's but  newer O/U's also had there concerns and some common potential problems that spotted early could be corrected with out to much cost .

Long experience gave me the insight to spot a lot of "faults " by eye , sound and knowing what to look for in different guns , this gun has this common fault another something else .  

A pal of mine has had his Miroku 7000 for about 18 yrs. It gets used every week on clays  and he has never had it serviced.

The only thing that has gone wrong is an ejector screw worked its way loose and fell out. He replaced it, job done.

I bought a s/h Ultra xs sporter and had it serviced and 2 new firing pins replaced.  That should see me out.

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

It was my habit on older guns that were not known to the Co , to check for proof ,walls ,ribs and stock . Not uncommon to find  ribs /loops  coming loose . Mushroomed over or distorted strikers .I have also found cracked sidelock tumblers , springs with one claw missing , screws with stripped or  partially stripped threads .Occasionally cracked stocks and a whole host of other minor problems . 

All had the potential to cause problems and could have put the gun out of action at any time ,the next day or next season , .

I did come across a few dangerous guns mainly barrels , pits bulges and a couple with pin holes through the tubes .Stocks that were loose . Mainly these were guns that had not been cared for and needed a good overhaul .

On the whole these were older SxS's but  newer O/U's also had there concerns and some common potential problems that spotted early could be corrected with out to much cost .

Long experience gave me the insight to spot a lot of "faults " by eye , sound and knowing what to look for in different guns , this gun has this common fault another something else .  

Thanks for the information gunman 

most informative 

you’ll always hear of the gun that’s fired a million shots and never missed a beat 😊

but you also hear the moan and groaning about a type /make that’s always got a problem 

nice to know that a good gunsmith servicing your gun can spot the potential problem and sort it before it gets to a point of becoming dangerous

ill stick with having mine serviced at the end of the season hopefully avoiding problems and knowing that there’s less chance of a problem occurring 

All the best 

of 

A lot depends on what is done - and also how 'switched on' the gun's owner is.  Two examples;

1. A very old family friend (sadly no longer with us) had a matched set of 3 Purdeys.  He used the extensively in all weathers in season for over 40 years and they shot a lot of cartridges and walked many miles as he did a lot of walked up shooting in Scotland, and several days a week 'in season' on pheasants.  He was very 'gun aware' and the guns, though well worn in things like chequering (near smooth in places) and blueing (silver where the left had held them), were in good order technically, the locks were removed regularly and dried/lubricated, barrels cleaned after every day shooting etc.  I don't think he ever had a breakdown on those guns.  They never had the barrels 'fine bored' or whatever the term used is as they were unmarked.  They were best grade guns, well cared for technically, but little if anything was spent on them (though had a breakage occurred, they would have been repaired at any cost needed as he was very fond of them and shot superbly with them).
  2. Another chap I met had a pair of Churchills (25" best grade) that had been supplied new to his father (in the 1920s).  He was a non technical man and the guns had been looked after (I think by Churchills, but can't be 100% certain) all their lives and looked in very nice order having had a regular service, well blued, chequering sharp, stocks nicely polished.  No money had been spared in their care.  On receiving the guns back from service one year, he was informed that the barrels were now on the limits of proof - and were thin in the walls - so would not be suitable for a reproof.  New barrels would be needed - and a figure was quoted that was at least as much as the guns were 'worth'.  He sought clarification as to why this was as he had always had them serviced - as had his father - and was told they were best grade guns and should last 'generations', but periodic fine boring and rebluing had gradually reduced barrels that were originally made 'slim' to be light to the point where reproof was needed, but not likely to be passed.  I am not sure what he did with them in the end, but suspect they were traded for a modern 'AyA or similar'.

On 25/08/2019 at 19:43, BlaserF3 said:

All parts are inclusive in the service. I've had a couple of K80's done and the service while you are there and what is replaced to be honest is second to none and the old parts are given back to you.

Did they "need" a service? And the 10 year warranty is transferable and the service is not compulsory to validate the warranty.

+1

Apart from figgy does anyone own or owned a krieghoff?

the service period is 20k carts or every two years.

what you get apart from piece of mind is 37 new pins springs or components, any upgrades and two years warranty on any work done at this service.

into perspective would you buy a Ferrari and not have it serviced?

49 minutes ago, bunnykiller said:

Apart from figgy does anyone own or owned a krieghoff?

the service period is 20k carts or every two years.

what you get apart from piece of mind is 37 new pins springs or components, any upgrades and two years warranty on any work done at this service.

into perspective would you buy a Ferrari and not have it serviced?

I understand that neither the below 2 examples would come up annually or in normal conditions, but as a nice exercise - 

Ferrari 458                                                                                                K80

New - £170,000 (Cheapest model)                                                       New - £13,000 (Cheapest model)

Annual Service - £790  (Sourced from the web)                                Annual Service - £272 (for my location)

% of new price - 0.46%                                                                            % of new price - 2.09%

It appears a Ferrari is 4 x more economical with respect to servicing... I think i will buy, the Krieghoff second hand...                        😂          

1 hour ago, Cawdor118 said:

I understand that neither the below 2 examples would come up annually or in normal conditions, but as a nice exercise - 

Ferrari 458                                                                                                K80

New - £170,000 (Cheapest model)                                                       New - £13,000 (Cheapest model)

Annual Service - £790  (Sourced from the web)                                Annual Service - £272 (for my location)

% of new price - 0.46%                                                                            % of new price - 2.09%

It appears a Ferrari is 4 x more economical with respect to servicing... I think i will buy, the Krieghoff second hand...                        😂          

👍  Comparing guns and cars is a non starter on so many levels but at least with cars they change lubricants and filters that need changing. I'd have said a K80 was more Jeep Wrangler though. 😂  

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

👍  Comparing guns and cars is a non starter on so many levels but at least with cars they change lubricants and filters that need changing. I'd have said a K80 was more Jeep Wrangler though. 😂  

At a krieghoff service all internal springs and pins are replaced

49 minutes ago, bunnykiller said:

Is that if they need it or not ?  Say you had the gun two years fired a slab of carts would they change all that when no wear could have happened. Bit of a waste of resources and money. 

Only the owners can decide if they think it's worth it or needs it. Mine would need at least another five thousand putting through it to get to 20k.

11 hours ago, bunnykiller said:

Yes but that's not because they need replacing but merely to justify the "service". I've owned 3 high volume Beretta 682's over 35+ years of shooting plus at least a dozen other makes kept for between 1-5 years, in that time I have never had any springs or firing pins replaced ! The parts I have had to replace were all non service items and include U bolts x 2, spindle x 1 and wear disc (also x 1 because 2 would make the gun impossible to open). 

The only item I've had fail which rendered the gun unusable was the spindle which actually broke in use. 

There must be hundreds of springs inside a car ranging from small ones in the engine to big soft ones inside the seats all the way to the shock absorbers which live outside and get splashed with dirt every single day and are exposed to the extremes of cold and heat ! Imagine if they tried to get you in once a year to have everyfing replaced just in case. 

That's essentially what Krieghoff has managed to get you to do but because it's an expensive gun and a relatively small sum some people are happy with the scammengement. 

Edited by Hamster

46 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Yes but that's not because they need replacing but merely to justify the "service".

Agreed; there are many many old guns, clocks, other mechanical contrivances in which the springs are in place and working after (in some cases literally hundreds of) years.  If a spring is used by design in a way that it needs regular replacement, it is the wrong spring, wrong material, whatever. 

If you decide to purchase a Krieghoff then you must accept that the gun requires a service every two years in order to validate the warranty on the gun. The gun comes with a 10 year warranty and needs a minimum number of services. Alan Rhone will extend the warranty for a further 2 years after each subsequent service, after the gun’s 10th birthday. Is it necessary and good value to have a Krieghoff serviced so regularly? Only the Krieghoff owner in my opinion can answer this question. Purchasing a Krieghoff is a considerable investment and like all mechanical items are not immune from problems at times. If the gun is inspected and serviced every couple of years then your investment is protected in terms of reliability and resale value. The cost of the service seems to be another bone of contention with a number of people. All I can say is that Alan Rhone is a shrewd businessman but he does offer a first class professional service in terms of the service and any warranty issues that you might have. I equate the price of the 2 year service to the cost of 1000 cartridges. If you think that the idea of servicing an expensive shotgun is ridiculous then the Krieghoff experience is not for you. In saying that I have a number of shotguns in my cabinet that have been heavily used and proven to be utterly reliable that have never visited a gunsmith.    I would still prefer to shoot the Krieghoff over anything else in my cabinet. Personal choice and all that.

I would like a Krieghoff, and may one day buy one, but personally think they’re overpriced. If I do ever buy one and it is still in warranty, I wouldn’t pay for a service to keep it within that warranty, and if the model I eventually ended up with was out of warranty then I’d be perfectly happy with that also. 

The question of a warranty has never been an issue with me whenever I have bought a gun.

My personal opinion is that Krieghoff have generated this service in their attempt to garner the prestige gun element, and Alan Rhône has capitalised on this aspect, and why not, they're both in the business of making money, but I’m not interested in contributing towards it. Each to their own.

Edited by Scully

I bought my Krieghoff new 3 years ago with upgraded engraving and wood. It is a beautiful gun but ridiculously overpriced for what it is. It was an itch that needed to be scratched and I have never regretted the purchase. It makes sense for me to keep the warranty through having the gun serviced. What you will find if you do purchase one is that all servicing and repairs need to go through Alan Rhone. He does not supply Krieghoff parts to other gunsmiths. 

5 hours ago, miroku_fan said:

I bought my Krieghoff new 3 years ago with upgraded engraving and wood. It is a beautiful gun but ridiculously overpriced for what it is. It was an itch that needed to be scratched and I have never regretted the purchase. It makes sense for me to keep the warranty through having the gun serviced. What you will find if you do purchase one is that all servicing and repairs need to go through Alan Rhone. He does not supply Krieghoff parts to other gunsmiths. 

He has the market sewn up -  another shrewd move. I'm with you on the itch to scratch. I went to look at 2 x K80's today. Both were unfortunately trap versions, but the 30" version was lovely in the hands.