Advice please/

kevinclarke2015

could you give me your opinions on a very quiet air rifle for shooting in my back garden the one I have is supposed to be quiet but it sounds loud to me I have a gamo whisper X .22 I bought it because I thought it would be quiet eg whisper but its not, a pcp is too expensive for me. I have heard they are very quiet any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by kevinclarke2015

You can pick up something like an Air Arms S200 multi for not too much money and with a Mod fitted they are very quiet - you could also sound proof your target area with carpet? Why is noise such a problem?Shooting in your garden is not illegal so why the cloak and dagger? You say that your current gun sounds loud - have you actually had complaints? 

I have had no complaints and I don't want any on both sides of me the neighbours are old people and at the back of me is a school field I don't shoot until around 1800hrs and and week-ends there is a 7 foot fence all around my garden and the height of my targets are approx. 12 inches high with a concrete back stop and a pellet catcher the pellets don't go out of my boundary but I don't want to give anyone room to report me .

Cheapest gun option I can think off is co2 or a pump up rifle WITH a silencer. Without its quite a pop. Crossman rat catcher, rabbit stopper, the smks (quite a following on those for parts to modify them). As Bruno says a pcp can be picked up quite cheap. I've seen a webley axsor (gun, pump, silencer and scope) on freeads for 300 notes. Take into account if you do go the co2 way, it's roughly 50p-£1 a bulb for the small bulb which should give you 20-30 shots, and not needing full power in a garden (usually about 8-10ftlb).

Stay away from gasram gamos, they are ****, i learned the hard way.Also quite a crack with them. A nicely tuned spring will be quite quiet, most of the noise is the spring/action. It's the same principle as a pcp at the end of the day, air gets pushed out a port to move a object blocking its path. Make the spring and piston quieter and it will improve the  noise. Again with a silencer.

The only true way you'll be silent is a pcp with a decent silencer. 

Keep a eye out, bargains to be had, join bbs, the prices you see stuff go on there makes me want to take a loan out every week 😂

So the quietest airgun will be as follows

Pcp .22 cal ,long barrel , low fill pressure ie 190 bar instead of 230 bar .

And obviously a decent silencer like a hw  .

If you shoot a fairly heavy pellet out of it ,it will be even quieter .

The reasons for the info above is the more efficent the gun is (ie it can make its11.5 fpe with the least amount of air spent )

The quieter it will be .

Use a sandpit backstop and your gonna be almost silent .

Days with a bit of wind really help mask the sound ,also in winter neighbours windows and doors are shut.

So given the above an older bsa scorpion t10 or bsa r10 in .22 sould be very quiet .

If your on a tight budget have a look at the smk cp2 

Co2 multi shot pistol that comes with a rifle stock  , the silencer isnt fantastic but can be modded or stick a used HW moderator on .....

there basically a sorted crosman ratcatcher but multi shot 

I wonder if the majority of the noise you hear is from the action twanging about after each shot and if you were 10 or 15 feet away would be much quieter. 

Even my pcp makes a noise when I fire it but stood 5 feet away it's inaudible. 

Get your partner to fire it and listen from a distance.