Reloading virgin

Hi chaps , I am about to have a last lesson with a mate and I am about to start reloading 223,got all the gear I need but a little nervous, any tips?

my mate has just become a rfd in Portsmouth and supplies reloadin* gear as well , if u chaps in Hampshire need anything then give this chap a call . I can forward his details if an6body needs them.

seems to me that everything is sooooo crucial with measurements and I am sure I will be fine but you know how it is when you start something for the first time . Sooo if u have any pointers I would be grateful , thanks

I am a recent convert. A few things i do.

I make sure I have all of the things i need set out (right powder right primers bullet trays, funnel, scales, etc). 

I check the numbers (powder weight) I am working too.

I back up my beam scales with a cheap digital set as a comparison to make sure all looks good at the start.

I close the door and stay there until I have finished the number of rounds I set out to do. 

I finish by writing down what I have done. 

Cheers power, did you do a few different seating depths/ muzzle velocity etc until you found a recipe that worked for you or just go with one particular flavour and stuck with that?

Sorry oowee, spell check changed you to power🙄

18 hours ago, oowee said:

I am a recent convert. A few things i do.

I make sure I have all of the things i need set out (right powder right primers bullet trays, funnel, scales, etc). 

I check the numbers (powder weight) I am working too.

I back up my beam scales with a cheap digital set as a comparison to make sure all looks good at the start.

I close the door and stay there until I have finished the number of rounds I set out to do. 

I finish by writing down what I have done. 

Really for basic foxing loads then that is about it.   The suggestion to shut yourself away is paramount EVEN SWITCH YOUR MOBILE OFF. 

Once you have some basic rounds loaded and I suggest the first twenty or so be 10% below the maximum in the manual. I have often found in over 40 years of doing this that the most accurate load is down around there anyway.

THEN     When you have the time, load 3 rounds at 10% below manual, then 1grain more for the next three and one grain for the next three and one grain more for the next three, which if my Hornady manual for Varget is correct would put you on a max load for your fourth set of three.

THEN   choose a nice calm day and on the range or a suitable place where you can shoot over 75yrds put up a sheet of paper with 4 targets on and shoot one round from each set at each individual target.  Check barrel for heat, then shoot the next series, then the next then the last(watching for any pressure spikes).  Try not to look at where the shots are falling and I shoot on minimum scope setting to avoid this.  All done go up and check each group of three and usually you will find one load will be shooting just that bit tighter than the others and it is not always the fastest (the fox will not notice the difference.   The 223 is such a naturally accurate cartridge it may be difficult to see any difference.  Then go up to five shot groups.

Once you find the ONE, stick with it, just rechecking zero any time you have a new powder/bullet batch.  

Make sure your cases are clean and well prepared be paticular with the necks. I use a cleaning brush in the necks with just the slightest smear of resizing lub. This prevents any neck stretch.

Have fun

9 hours ago, dob said:

Cheers power, did you do a few different seating depths/ muzzle velocity etc until you found a recipe that worked for you or just go with one particular flavour and stuck with that?

Sorry oowee, spell check changed you to power🙄

I tried a few (8 different load weights) with the .223 but they were all excellent so picked one and stuck with that. 

I am using 50g v max with 25g of Ramshot TAC. I use Ramshot as its round and meters easily. I buy bullets from Mc Avoy £50 for 250 and I am working my way through 250 cases I bought from them too. Cheap as chips. 

IF you can get some 50g Barnes TSX then try them.  I am shooting them at present through my 22BR and they are awesome.  All copper but do not let that put you off. They shoot accurately in my rifle and the serious noise when it arrives tells you it is doing the job.   Mind, I have shot a load of foxes with the 50g V Max as used by oowee and have had no complaints from the customers.  Have fun and let us know how you get on.