HELP HELP HELP

jall25

Chaps
I / my parish/ my town and much of its wildlife really could do with your help.

We don't need money or physical bodies

All I need is for you chaps to spend 5 minutes reading this and then if you agree with me - objecting to a plan to create a new monstrosity in the countryside.

Before I start - this is not a case of simply not on my door step as if the proposed project is allowed my land value will soar - but I really do believe enough is enough and we cant continue to keep ripping up such biodiverse habitat.

I will begin

For the last 30 years or so a developer has been attempting to bring a kind of eco - dome to my area called Peak Resort- on 300 acres of reclaimed land. This dome was focused on ecology and would have links with universities and colleges.
There would be a hotel for delegates and hobbit style chalets in the woods. The focus was very much on families , rest, relaxation and tranquillity. The jewel in the crown was to be a massive lake !
The project stalled for many years but broke ground last year with commitment form an American Hotel firm - and a large 2.8 million pound grant from a local government development fund - public money.

Then all things stopped and I am not sure why.

Here comes the problem I want your help with,

The developer has now submitted plans for David Lloyd Adrenaline World.
This is a total 180 from the original plan approved and instead of the peace that was advertised initially we are going to get noise, pollution and traffic.
Not only is the project totally inappropriate for the area - it is to contain zip wires/ e-karts and feature pop concerts it has all been done very under handed.
The initial plan involved residents staying at the complex for up to a week at a time - but the new plan will see day or half day trippers with a huge increase in footfall , traffic, pollution and noise.

The application was submitted and the deadline was before the parish council could have a meeting.This has now been changed.
The project will affect thousands and thousands of people but the council mailshot approximately by their admission 100.
The council website / facebook site contain news articles proclaiming how good the plan is but little or nothing of the fact that one can object.
I am told an advert went in the local paper - it did it was tiny !

I have reviewed the drawings and believe them to be misleading as the resort has shown a bridleway over part of my land despite the fact that they were involved with me in a county council review of it last year. This has led to friction with the local community and indeed criminal damage to my gates.

My holding is adjacent to the proposed development and much of its is in the HLS (HIGHER LEVEL STEWARDSHIP) - this has seen a dramatic reversal in the fortunes of many red listed bird species and indeed I have had baRn owls and peregrine falcons on site this year.
I have had no request to carry out an ecological report on my holding to see the effect it may have.

The land that the project is on provides habitat for woodcock, curlew , lapwing , hares , grey partridge and simply cannot be lost to this disturbance and greed.

The plans can be found on
Chesterfield Borough Councils website
CHE/19/00456/REM1
CHE/19/00394/REM

Chesterfield does not need more gyms we have lots
We have a pool
We have cinemas
We have stadiums

What we are short of is wildlife- as highlighted by the recent declaration of a climate change emergency by the council - and habitat - we must protect what we have left !

I have spoken to Parish Councillors/County councillors and planning officers i have even written to Mr Gove - and all that have replied have stated the same
People can make change. They have advised i collate objections and then send on - so if you feel as me enough is enough please PM me and i will send you my email address and the contact who to address an objection to. I realise this may not have any bearing on many peoples lives on here but these big businesses must start realising that they are out of touch with local people/local communities/ the county / the country and the world !

Oh and to top it all -that lake - the jewel in the crown - that's going to host watersports and concerts !

Many thanks
Jim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Jim

Surely the people who look at all the signatures will look at the addresses as well and realise that it is not local people moaning about the situation?

Yes they will - and so much the better - these local issues are the start of these problems we find ourselves in today

If none locals can help to make a difference then simply WOW !

Edited by jall25

What you fail to mention, is that this area of land, up until recently. Used to be a golf course and before that was an open cast mine and then landfill. I’m of the opinion it will do Coal Aston well. I’d be more concerned about Peter Listers yard up the road that’s an eyesore. Various old machines rusting away and even a plane. Once completed it will provide valuable jobs to the area. A new championship golf course. And a lake amongst other things. The advert you mentioned was a full two page headline piece. I think you are too late as the main road has already been put in to the site, and I fail to see how the traffic will be an issue, as the entrance is straight off a bypass junction. 

Just my opinion obviously 

Atb Delwint 

Edited by Delwint

5 hours ago, Delwint said:

What you fail to mention, is that this area of land, up until recently. Used to be a golf course and before that was an open cast mine and then landfill. I’m of the opinion it will do Coal Aston well. I’d be more concerned about Peter Listers yard up the road that’s an eyesore. Various old machines rusting away and even a plane. Once completed it will provide valuable jobs to the area. A new championship golf course. And a lake amongst other things. The advert you mentioned was a full two page headline piece. I think you are too late as the main road has already been put in to the site, and I fail to see how the traffic will be an issue, as the entrance is straight off a bypass junction. 

Atb Delwint 

Yes that's true it is an eyesore - if you are familiar with area you will realise the ecological value of the land at Peak  - some of the most productive sites and indeed SSI s were landfill - they have never been treated with fertiliser or pesticides.

Have you viewed the NEW plans - as I say I am not against the idea behind the area - BUT not in an area so biodiverse !

Chesterfield has numerous brownfield sites to which this would be ideally suited.

The lake as I say is nothing like we were promised it is to be used for concerts etc not conservation - we have facilities for water sports at Rother Valley

The traffic is already hideous at the new junction and roundabout.

The advert in the DT was tiny - what is this to which you refer ? - Council propaganda that all will be well - or a genuine advert - please could you post or PM ?

It is not too late as yes the main road funded by public money is in - for the OLD plan

regards

4 hours ago, jeffgg said:

Its about about time this project got under way. Hopefully will bring munch needed income to the area providing jobs and reclaiming the land 

Hi -Reclaiming the land from what - Nature ?

Fail to see your point 

Jobs - what a hundred or so - have it on one of the many brownfield sites in the town 

Regards

jim

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what is the post code for google maps? 

S44 9ED Mr popper

Unstone , Chesterfield

53 minutes ago, Saltings said:

now would be a good tome to put Packham and co to good use and draw some scrutiny to the project

Honestly thought of that - I have put in a Freedom of Information request to see the ecological report as to lose this area would be a tragedy 

Edited by jall25

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

Money talks..............Morals walk...........................figure the outcome yourself....its the way of the world now..

Yes but only we can change it !

The last 4 years I have really got stuck in - on my holding I now have barn owl

Peregrine falcons

Curlew

People can change things !

have you not seen a white tailed eagle / lapwing / using the site  wj make allegations , can you not use the same tactics takes years and studies to prove you wrong  , what wj are good at allegations not fact works for them,    make some allegation re studies needed re / bats owls lapwing red kites, eagles, also any rare ground nesting birds  voles, snakes , slowworms, lizards geckos   etc etc  in your area  years to prove wrong thousands £ in studies etc,,, think smart allegations cost money so more allegations as wj  do  sometimes its not worth it loosing too much money before a sod is turned ,  its all about end profit for investor too much grief they leave like rats off a sinking ship 

allegations re  any  methane or possible toxic gasses / fluids  in the area or possible / toxins in the water table  , whole new drama  many years of studies and testing  loads of £ not worth it allegations can be made without proof and then the proof needs to be funded  by the developer again £   loads of money invested without return investors will pull the plug  regardless  its all about the £  return 

Edited by Saltings

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

have you not seen a white tailed eagle / lapwing / using the site  wj make allegations , can you not use the same tactics takes years and studies to prove you wrong  , what wj are good at allegations not fact works for them,    make some allegation re studies needed re / bats owls lapwing red kites, eagles, also any rare ground nesting birds  voles, snakes , slowworms, lizards geckos   etc etc  in your area  years to prove wrong thousands £ in studies etc,,, think smart allegations cost money so more allegations as wj  do  sometimes its not worth it loosing too much money before a sod is turned ,  its all about end profit for investor too much grief they leave like rats off a sinking ship 

allegations re  any  methane or possible toxic gasses / fluids  in the area or possible / toxins in the water table  , whole new drama  many years of studies and testing  loads of £ not worth it allegations can be made without proof and then the proof needs to be funded  by the developer again £   loads of money invested without return investors will pull the plug  regardless  its all about the £  return 

I just want a fair honest chance for people to make a decision 

Very few people knew of this massive direction change in the project and the council think it is alright to ask approx. 80 -that were mailshot out of thousands that will be affected.

I have seen lapwing , curlew, woodcock , barn owl, peregrine falcon , mistle thrush , grey partridge on the land and know the value it holds for vast amounts of wildlife.

The place is full of grasshoppers and other pollinators - it brands itself as the gateway to the peak - and in some ways it is for wildlife though not people !

As a poster mentioned earlier it was an opencast site - I think they termed it landfill - so I have no idea how the building / lake thing will fit in with that geology !

This project is not suited to this site - there are many other areas where it would fit in better

Please support my small stand and avoid another natural disaster !

It does sound to me like a wonderful opportunity to turn an open cast mine / landfill into a leisure and employment opportunity.  Good thing too is that they will have to deal with the methane and leaching from the landfill which will be of wider benefit. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

It does sound to me like a wonderful opportunity to turn an open cast mine / landfill into a leisure and employment opportunity.  Good thing too is that they will have to deal with the methane and leaching from the landfill which will be of wider benefit. 

Google earth it - its a wonderful habitat

The land is the same as mine - areas of ancient woodland 

It has not been open cast for 25 years or so - so it is all regeneration / birds / butterflies 

Plenty of room in the towns brownfields sites for a project like this

On 26/08/2019 at 00:45, Saltings said:

And by deploying such tactics and tying up resources, you are taking these much needed resources away from genuine cases where there has been such species sighted.

Not a road I'd wish to go down which, thankfully is an opinion shared by the OP. 

18 hours ago, jall25 said:

Google earth it - its a wonderful habitat

The land is the same as mine - areas of ancient woodland 

It has not been open cast for 25 years or so - so it is all regeneration / birds / butterflies 

Plenty of room in the towns brownfields sites for a project like this

This is a brown field site and rural communities are often desperate for employment. So many villages offer little employment or housing opportunities resulting in villages dying. 

49 minutes ago, oowee said:

This is a brown field site and rural communities are often desperate for employment. So many villages offer little employment or housing opportunities resulting in villages dying. 

Really - with the greatest respect in the world please read it before posting such rubbish - the council has it included in its designation of local wildlife sites.

It has remnants of ancient semi-natural woodland and valuable scrub/heath habitat - which some areas are spending tens of thousands on to replicate.

If this goes ahead all it will do in many peoples opinions is suck the life and money from the rest of the town - how many concert venues do we need. 

How many watersport parks?

The original plan was to have people on site for a week or two who would then go out into the wider community and spend. This will not - the day trippers will spend all in the park and the local businesses will suffer as even regular trade is pulled in.

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How did the ancient woodland grow so quickly in 25 years?

To be classed as ancient woodland means that the seed banks are still present and an amount of land has to have had continual trees cover for so long 

That is if trees have been a constant - not a tree 

Or something along those line - the council and indeed the applications has recognised it as ancient semi-natural woodland

The fact is it is home and dinning table to many thinks that we as true sportsmen of whatever discipline should love to see

Correct me if I am wrong on that assumption

On 25/08/2019 at 08:12, Delwint said:

Atb Delwint 

Delwint

Did you get chance to look for the advert to which you refer - I cant find anything 

Also please be advised the plans now show no new golf course - but lots more car parks !

And as I stated before the lake will be simply a platform to host events on 

And having lived and worked - played and cried so close to the development I don't recall it ever being the landfill t which you refer OOWEE