Mushrooms or toad stall

nobbyathome

Most defiantly edible mushrooms, i picked a load off the golf course opposite my house in the last couple of days, had some in a spag bol, bacon eggs and mushrooms for a fry up, and some left over for something tomorrow.Just give them a wash in case they have used some pesticides on the grass.

13 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

Well I am still here ha ha they went down a treat I will go and get some more tonight 

hello, always found the best time for mushroom picking is early morning, seems a bit early for mushroom season but hey who cares when you can make a bacon and mushroom sandwich:good: 

No matter one's age, every day is a school day. What with typing errors and spell-checker you never know but it did sort of make sense so I looked up "toad stall". Couldn't find it in any dictionary sense, but discovered it is in common use colloquially. In all my time and I've lived in most parts of the country, I've never heard anything but toadstool.

Thanks for the thread, has reminded me to check my favourite field about now.

22 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, always found the best time for mushroom picking is early morning, seems a bit early for mushroom season but hey who cares when you can make a bacon and mushroom sandwich:good: 

I agree, early morning is the best time to pick fresh. Not only that, get them before someone else does.

OB

3 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I agree, early morning is the best time to pick fresh. Not only that, get them before someone else does.

OB

Yep! Early morning......pick the small new closed cup ones, the bigger open cups are older and they are usually full of insects!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Yep! Early morning......pick the small new closed cup ones, the bigger open cups are older and they are usually full of insects!

You can tell if they are - break off the stem near the cap. If you see any small pin holes bin it (or enjoy the "field flavour...your choice!). 

That is also why early morning is best so the insects haven't got to them yet.

Edited by Eyefor

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Anyway the mushroom maggots usually start to crawl out when they feel the heat of the frying pan, just mix them in for a bit of extra protein, lovely.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Anyway the mushroom maggots usually start to crawl out when they feel the heat of the frying pan, just mix them in for a bit of extra protein, lovely.

:lol:

Reminds me of when I first got to Aden in the 60s. I'm in the breakfast queue for the cereal and have noted that everyone is tapping the Shredded Wheat on the work top before putting them in the bowl. I hadn't a clue why but thought as it seems to be de rigueur, I'll follow suit. Soon found out why!