Bird launchers

Lloyd90

no you just need a mate / others training their dog , throw a dummy , you and mates taking turns teaches your dog not every retrieve is theirs (keeps them steady and  most important )  also saves £  to boot, a lot of breakfasts in the café after analysing how you caused your dog to fail  and not making the same mistake again the £400 + would be better spent with a guy like Walter Harris  /sun star dog kennels in Dorchester  my family got me a training weekend for my 40 th birthday and never looked back gave me the best insight  to training a gundog  , I trained sheepdogs from an early age growing up on a farm  (different needs different approach) you will not regret meeting Walter be it lab or spaniel training  he also does refresher courses  for self employed dogs 

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

no you just need a mate / others training their dog , throw a dummy , you and mates taking turns teaches your dog not every retrieve is theirs (keeps them steady and  most important )  also saves £  to boot, a lot of breakfasts in the café after analysing how you caused your dog to fail  and not making the same mistake again the £400 + would be better spent with a guy like Walter Harris  /sun star dog kennels in Dorchester  my family got me a training weekend for my 40 th birthday and never looked back gave me the best insight  to training a gundog  , I trained sheepdogs from an early age growing up on a farm  (different needs different approach) you will not regret meeting Walter be it lab or spaniel training  he also does refresher courses  for self employed dogs 

I find it’s not the same crossing over from dummies onto game. 

If your dog is switched on, he will know when it’s a dummy and not chase, but say flushing a rabbit would be well away. 

Mine will stop with dummies and balls thrown past him all day long, but has had a chase in the rabbit pen. 

Working on ways to get him steady to game now so hopefully can get out this season. 

I had s go with mates remote launcher taking turns with our dogs. Helped a lot as they have to sit and watch. Steadied him up for a few seasons. Now I get my wife to chuck the dummies from afar.  Some I go and pick and make him sit and watch,  training most times he is near perfect but come a shoot day, it can all go horribly wrong when the birds start dropping.  Seen it been there myself. Soon as it starts going wrong on a shoot stop the dog and tether it, be it a hand held  lead or ground spike if on a peg.  One thing I learned never let them get away with it.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:10, Lloyd90 said:

I find it’s not the same crossing over from dummies onto game. 

If your dog is switched on, he will know when it’s a dummy and not chase, but say flushing a rabbit would be well away. 

Mine will stop with dummies and balls thrown past him all day long, but has had a chase in the rabbit pen. 

Working on ways to get him steady to game now so hopefully can get out this season. 

have you used dead game in training  /and place yourself between the dog and an interesting retrieve using the wind  or a mate at distance drag a furry dummy on a long lead or a kid with a remote controlled car with an areal with a ribbon enticer etc     behind you while you concentrate on the dog and scold on the first signs of interest before the dog locks on  then throw dummies to distract then walk away with the dog throw a ball /get on your knees and fuss the bejious out of it for concentrating on you   I know where you are coming from had a cocker springer cross and at 6mts was a cracker at 12 month would retrieve where others failed  absolute crasher,   however pigeon shooting , shoot as many as you like , send and work in for long awkward retrieve,  worked a blinder, sit patiently 20 or 30 more birds on the ground flapping or not didn't showed any  interest,  however some where in the day without rime or reason the dog was off with the hide around its neck coffee spilled cartridge bag emptied , you get the picture , without picking the gun up , however this happened randomly and was never predictable ,

given that she redeemed herself many times by finding what many others missed ,   and was an belter  , the only advice I can give is sort it all out before going anywhere near the shooting field you cannot have one eye on your dog    and the other on shooting  ,if you are shooting you need someone else to chastise your dog   ,  slow down don't be in a hurry the shooting field its not the place to correct problems,   but can really create more problems and ruin the day     spaniels have a 6th sense and sus you are distracted and are gone in a heart beat ,    if the dog fails , I have found no attention good or bad ,say nothing peg them on a lead behind you  silently ,  and walk away and keep your back to them for the duration  has more effect than any telling off       

On 29/08/2019 at 21:06, Dirty Harry said:

I've got three of the DT ones. They belong to the club I'm part of but I've used them for some training days for HPR's. They work really well but you obviously need a supply of birds to make it worth while.

Homing pigeons? 👍🏻