How do people...

Benthejockey

How do people manage to run over hedgehogs and hares?! I'm not after a step by step guide 😂 I've see n 3 flattened hedgehogs and a hare. Especially hares youd have to really try to run one over! I can understand badgers getting clipped because theyve got a bad habit of bolting out of hedges and foxes to a certain extent!

I've seen a few dead hogs lately, I doubt people even see them? Small slow moving and generally nocturnal, would you swerve for a hedgehog going at speed?

just in the last few weeks I've seen rats, squirrels, badgers, hedgehogs, gulls and one deer all dead on or near the road to work.

26 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

How do people manage to run over hedgehogs and hares?! I'm not after a step by step guide 😂 I've see n 3 flattened hedgehogs and a hare. Especially hares youd have to really try to run one over! I can understand badgers getting clipped because theyve got a bad habit of bolting out of hedges and foxes to a certain extent!

I've often wondered the same.

Hares can also bolt out into cars, happened to my dad when I was in the car with him.

Hedgehogs can scurry along too on tarmac, not many people would try and run them over and most would be sad if they did hit one. But if your doing fifty or sixty not much you can do to avoid them.

So far, in the past ten days I've flattened 2 Rabbits, 2 Pigeons and 1 Squirrel.

I drive early morning and late evening. In the morning the rural roads are smothered with Pigeons picking up grit and they've got used to cars so don't move off the road. If I braked or swerved for every one then I'd never get anywhere.

Now the harvest is on then Rabbits have less cover and run all over the roads. Even if I slow down then It's sod's law that they'll run towards the edge then double back straight under the wheels.

The Squirrel ran onto the road when I had no chance of avoiding it. There was more Squirrels than I've seen for ages this morning.

I don't run over wildlife deliberately but I wouldn't risk an accident trying to avoid it.

I'm not advocating causing or getting into an accident but surely at night on an empty road it's as easy to go round a hedgehog curled up in the road as just flatten it? I think you're right @Stour-boy only 18 months ago or so I was driving home from a VERY long days driving. I'd been to scotland and back. And about 2am 15 miles from home I saw a cow running down the road, then I saw 30 more! I managed to get them into a field and notified the police and put out a thing on facebook to see if anyone local knew who's they were. Next morning at 8am somebody driving too fast and probably texting, ploughed their Ford focus into a beautiful little Angus bull. Killed him and their car!

On 26/08/2019 at 12:44, Vince Green said:

This /\

First rule of rural driving is never brake or swerve to avoid any animal in the road 

Easy to say 

but when anything jumps out in front of you instinct takes over (I hope) 

brake and avoid should be a natural instinct/reaction 

If someone runs into the back of you they were to close 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Easy to say 

but when anything jumps out in front of you instinct takes over (I hope) 

brake and avoid should be a natural instinct/reaction 

If someone runs into the back of you they were to close 

Tend to agree. I will certainly slow down as quickly as possible but will be fully aware of the rear orifice trying to mount he rear of my Landie.  I some times think I will fit a switch for the rear brake lights for these guys. We used to do the same on our rally cars back in the 60s to stop any tail gaters learning from your recce.  Wildlife sometimes just wanders in to sight and you have the choice kill it or some innocent person coming the other way or yourself.  No contest I'm afraid.  I have harvested the result though over the past 60yrs...you know...waste not want not.  Comes of being born at the outbreak of the last war when you delighted in what food was available.

Edited by Walker570

Tip! If you hit and pick up anything or road kill make sure it's dead! Over the years have had a pheasant come to and go mental in my van. Mallard bombing round a crew bus at busy junction in town that look some explaining! And most recently a big ol buzzard that had been sparko in the foot well in my truck for 2 hrs that i still have scars from! Oh and a woodcock that someone gave me that i forgot about that had been in my van all night.

Lot of critters get on some roads cos of warmth retained in tarmac over nite and for the spilled grain off trailers. There was a open cattle grided common in north Suffolk where horses and ponies often slept on the road  at night for the warmth and you had to drive/ride round them. Freaked my townie mate out one foggy night and he thought they were all dead.  NB   

18 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Tip! If you hit and pick up anything or road kill make sure it's dead! Over the years have had a pheasant come to and go mental in my van. Mallard bombing round a crew bus at busy junction in town that look some explaining! And most recently a big ol buzzard that had been sparko in the foot well in my truck for 2 hrs that i still have scars from! Oh and a woodcock that someone gave me that i forgot about that had been in my van all night.

Lot of critters get on some roads cos of warmth retained in tarmac over nite and for the spilled grain off trailers. There was a open cattle grided common in north Suffolk where horses and ponies often slept on the road  at night for the warmth and you had to drive/ride round them. Freaked my townie mate out one foggy night and he thought they were all dead.  NB   

Top tip if you hit anything pheasant deer etc you can’t pick it up!! 

The person behind your car can this is to stop the deliberate running down of game and deer  

mince had a very large conger ell come alive in my van firs i new about it was when it came over my shoulder and into my lap 

19 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

When I lived up in Hertfordshire the deer would come onto the back roads at night in the winter for the warmth but that was known about and we were prepared for it