Possibly a good season awaits?

henry d

31 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Loch Leven has a lot of greys and Canada’s at the moment we have the on 2 fields . Duck are a shock we have no teal but normally at this time we have 200 plus on 1 pond alone 

I would go along with that , we have got a lot of resident Greys and a good lot of Canad's , but the duck seem in very short supply , we had a lot of decent broods early which should be now on the wing , I am wondering if the large amounts of flight ponds are drawing in the duck as you are seeing very few going on the barley stubble's, nowhere near like they used to .

Had a mallard duck raise five youngsters on a farm pond and a moorhen on the same pond also raised five chicks.  The mallard managed to save two and the moorhen one. The remainder went down the gullet of a local buzzard and I had it on trail cam.  NOW, supposedly buzzards only eat carrion don't they ?

The good news is that it appears the heavy rains we have had have not caused to much havoc with pheasant broods as we are seeing groups of eight and ten well grown poults about  and this is in woodland whre birds are not released.

• 9 months later...

Seen plenty of broods of Canada's and greylags locally, whether they remain come the season is another matter. They usually ****** off on the fields and if enough moon stay on feeding and don't flight on our marsh. All the earth works and raising of water levels is done and getting back to normal so fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

For the forth year running the East Norfolk duck seem to have had a very poor breeding season. This season at least I thought the warm dry spring would let them do well , but I have only seen 2 well grown broods on the marshes and too many pairs about for the time of year. Village ponds are a different story where the young get fed by the public. I have been doing a lot of fishing on the Chet and Wavenly and yet to see any  ducklings on the open rivers. What is even more worrying I have been doing some pond  dipping on the South Breydon Marshes and insect life is very sparce.  Few water beetles , no water boatmen, only a handful shrimps and few dragon and damselfly lava. In short the dykes are almost empty of aquatic insect life and its this very life that the ducklings depend on in their early days. Just look up the national trends in mallard populations in the UK and the breeding  population were down by -7 indices over the last 20 years and -33 for wintering birds.  Greylag on the other hand seem to have some very good broods with one of five and a second of 8 seen ( all just flying ) seen on the Wavenly  Yesterday.

Edited by Norfolk wildfowler

Never managed to even get out last season, so hopeful this season will be a good one

No trips booked so staying local on our club land this season, but no doubt will start planning a trip for next season 2021/2022 some where up North 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2020 at 16:07, Norfolk wildfowler said:

For the forth year running the East Norfolk duck seem to have had a very poor breeding season. This season at least I thought the warm dry spring would let them do well , but I have only seen 2 well grown broods on the marshes and too many pairs about for the time of year. Village ponds are a different story where the young get fed by the public. I have been doing a lot of fishing on the Chet and Wavenly and yet to see any  ducklings on the open rivers. What is even more worrying I have been doing some pond  dipping on the South Breydon Marshes and insect life is very sparce.  Few water beetles , no water boatmen, only a handful shrimps and few dragon and damselfly lava. In short the dykes are almost empty of aquatic insect life and its this very life that the ducklings depend on in their early days. Just look up the national trends in mallard populations in the UK and the breeding  population were down by -7 indices over the last 20 years and -33 for wintering birds.  Greylag on the other hand seem to have some very good broods with one of five and a second of 8 seen ( all just flying ) seen on the Wavenly  Yesterday.

Thats not a good thing. Im hoping for a good session too. During the spring I was seeing good numbers of mallard on the Ouse near Downham Market. Still seeing a few but didnt spot any young. Maybe they went up to the sailing club near the pub. Its non tidal there so less harsh I guess