Sign in to follow this  
Dunkield

Another clonking muntjac buck

Posted (edited)

Out early this morning when I saw this from a good 7-800 yards away, even at that distance it looked impressive (once I had established it wasn’t a roe).

So I jumped in the truck and got into the same field then slowly walked in the last couple of hundred yards.

I couldn’t believe it when it was still there wandering about, they don’t stand still for 5 seconds, so it was just a case waiting a few seconds more for the shot to present itself. 

It’s always a buzz walking up to them once shot as you never really know just how good they really are until then. This one didn’t disappoint 🙂

DD68E33D-1400-497E-AFE7-771AF6689C66.jpeg

Edited by Dunkield

There certainly chunky round your neck of the woods. 

I see plenty on my bits but they always seem to have this rubber looking cover on them, i suppose they will be due off soon. 

Someone's been eating well. But somebody is now going to being eating better

Well done cracking buck

We get our fair share of ordinary muntjac as well, we just don't talk about those, but it is kind of paradise for them.

The woods full of beech mast when they want that, plenty of places to hide no one has access to, and then plenty of feeders to have a go at too. 

A very nice buck. Any chance of a picture from the front..brow tines. I'm pretty certain it would go gold as long as the brow tines are reasonable, based on the apparent circumference of the main beams.  Yes,  a very nice buck in perfect condition too.  It is getting to the time to keep an eye on any apple trees you have on your ground, as they love apples.

Posted (edited)

It’s decent head but not a gold IMO, let's see how it scores. 

That’s a 223 case for reference. 

I have enough shoulder mounts so I am boiling this one, I actually chucked it as I had better things to do today but pulled it out soon after. 

I'll measure it later this week.

835194E8-3888-420E-A12B-7949184DBD56.jpeg

Edited by Dunkield

Dunk, 

When do they start to clean off the velvet ?  What I see round mine they always seem to be in velvet. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting question, the answer seems to be one of those 'it  depends' ones

My mate shot a smaller buck about an hour after this and he was very much in velvet, the BDS say they should be clean by September.

They also come and go, so it may be when see most they are in velvet?

Where we walk our dog I could expect to see anywhere between 1 and 5 muntjac on short morning walk until recently, I haven't seen one for weeks now - they are curious deer for sure.

Edited by Dunkield

Yes, your right. Not quite enough on the brow tines but a close call in my view.  Thirty five years ago we always felt you could get a head with moss on any time of the year but I have noticed that they seem to clean now for the winter.  Global warming:yay:   Joking apart, they have made this country their own and I love 'em.  I was sitting waiting for a squirrel or two to show this morning and a beautiful mature muntie doe walked out just ten yards away, looked me straight in the eye and with that characteristic sharp turn of the head walked stiff legged into the fir trees. Then stood and barked for the next 25mins.  Fair to say i didn't see a squirrel but she was worth it. Magnificent.

I have a few boiled out heads but could never find a taxidermist who could portray one correctly.  I don't think they ever sit and watch them for long.

North Suffolk at early o'clock this morning.   About twenty yards visibility.   Then the fog started lifting and dropping which went on for about an hour.   Then it finally cleared.

During all this period and for the next hour I saw 22 deer.   Roe does with young - One with three.   Chinese water deer various.   Some on their own some with young.   Four young on their own.   These came right up to my hide and were butting and chasing each other.

Roebucks or muntys?   Not a sign of them.   

No shots fired but an interesting morning.

I've got a muntjac of similar size on one of my permissions, he has evaded me twice now, but I'll catch up with him soon. I can shoot as many as I want and we still don't seem to be getting the numbers reduced.

Here it is boiled out, seems they are even more delicate than roe, the nose just fell away in the process.  

72872C1A-69D8-4BF4-B774-1A72E03BE442.jpeg

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have a few boiled out heads but could never find a taxidermist who could portray one correctly.  I don't think they ever sit and watch them for long.

Have a look at Freedom Taxidermy, she did both of my golds they are in the gallery on her site. I know what you mean though I had a very good silver medal buck mounted and it was shocking, I sold it in the end it annoyed me so much. 

I still think that head might go very close. Always difficult to judge without having it in the hand.  I have honestly not seen a single head set up which looks anyhting like a muntie, they are distinctive but I will pull up the one you suggest.  I have had to superglue almost all the nose bones of the heads I have.  If you want to frighten the kids put a night light in the back.

I had a friend from the USA who shot a very nice gold medal in Selsy Forest with Andy Patmore and he did that at Haloween:w00t:

This was my first one mounted by Claire.

goldmedalmuntjac.jpg

I am trying to find my miniature tape measure to do this one, one way or the other I'll have a go this evening and upload it here.

Posted (edited)

Looks like I may have been way to pessimistic about this one. I have only run a tape quickly over it and come up with a number of 74. I will get Mrs D to do the same later and see what she makes it, men have a reputation for exaggeration 😛

I know from experience CIC always measure less, but there is a lot to play with there, gold is 61 and over.

4F14AD9A-9143-41A5-B589-D0DB1D9D3F5F.jpeg

Edited by Dunkield

Posted (edited)

Now that is nice work and looks like a muntie.  Also good of you to put up a chart as some members on here may not know what measurements to take.

Not a bit surprised. I have been watching and shooting munties for best part of 40yrs and have seen how the quality has improved in that time. 

A very even head so few minus points which makes a great difference. 

Edited by Walker570

8 hours ago, Dunkield said:

This was my first one mounted by Claire.

goldmedalmuntjac.jpg

I am trying to find my miniature tape measure to do this one, one way or the other I'll have a go this evening and upload it here.

Great work 👍

As I have to wait 30 days for the antlers to dry out before they can be scored officially, I shall report back then