Last knife of Summer leave....

Miroku_Dave

Last knife of leave finished and back to work tomorrow.... I’m a bit excited about this one 😍

It’s 8670 steel heat treated to 860 degrees in my makeshift forge, quenched in rapeseed oil and tempered in the oven for one hour at 160 degrees to a hardness of 60HRc. 

It’s has black G10 liners and a Raffir Poplar Burl stabilised wooden handle with two mosaic pins and a brass lanyard tube. 

It has a leather lanyard with a Thor’s Hammer lanyard bead. 

It features my awesome makers mark and I’m extremely proud to put it on this one!  

Another bonus feature is the carbon layers that appear when heat treating have left a nice pattern on the blade, looks kind of like forge marks so I left them in. 

So what do you reckon? 😎🔪👍

8088686F-5E61-475F-8D17-68E1D049F837.jpeg

CF5FA702-76B8-4810-863B-EE81D496AAD7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

yup...................thatll do nicely .................no complaints at all..............its just right.........and more over...it dont look like a weapon....it looks like a real quality tool.........

love to see one with antler scales....:whistling:

Cheers mate. 🤣 I will do antler scales soon I promise!! 

Again Very nice, 

But if I may....?

The grain, the colour of that handle is just crying out for shine juice.

A couple of coats of shellac well maybe quite a few, let it dry completely it will be shiny then a rub over with 1000 grit, and then the shine juice, Super glue and it will look like its been covered in glass. Car polish also works a treat but not like super glue.

There is so much going on in those handle scales they don't seem to have "popped"  in the pictures. Not a criticism just an observation.

Edited by fatchap

3 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Again Very nice, 

But if I may....?

The grain, the colour of that handle is just crying out for shine juice.

A couple of coats of shellac well maybe quite a few, let it dry completely it will be shiny then a rub over with 1000 grit, and then the shine juice, Super glue and it will look like its been covered in glass.

There is so much going on in those handle scales they don't seem to have "popped"  in the pictures. Not a criticism just an observation.

Cheers mate, I’m going to get some shellac tomorrow, I can’t seem to find ‘shine juice’ anywhere though? 

Do you mean normal superglue or is it wood specific? 

Its normal superglue. Put a drop of Raw linseed oil on a soft cloth, oil/polish cloths are best then a couple of drops of superglue in the middle of the linseed oil. 2-3 drops should be enough to do one side then just wipe it across, The shine is amazing. And its also pretty tough as finishes go, takes a lot of abuse and still looks cool.

Edited by fatchap

2 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Its normal superglue. Put a drop of Raw linseed oil on a soft cloth, oil/polish cloths are best then a couple of drops of superglue in the middle of the linseed oil. 2-3 drops should be enough to do one side then just wipe it across, The shine is amazing. And its also pretty tough as finishes go, takes a lot of abuse and still looks cool.

Cool cheers mate, I’ll give it a go 👍