walking survey

charlotte23.m@hotmail.com

Hello, for my DT GCSE i am doing a project on countryside gates and stiles access for the elderly especially but also for all ages. If possible i have some questions, could anyone possibly answer them to help withmy research and data?

The questions are:

What is your age?

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles?

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over?

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles?

Why do you go on walks?

How often do you walk?

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles?

Thank you so much,

Charlotte

What is your age?  62

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles?  Weekly

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over?  No, generally OK

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles?  No

Why do you go on walks?  I like to walk daily

How often do you walk?  Daily

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles?  I have no need for anything

What is your age? 66

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles? Several times a day

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over? Never

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles? No

Why do you go on walks? Exercise, walk the dog, beating and planned walks

How often do you walk? 3 times a day

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles? No. I have no issue with stiles.

Interesting first post .

Welcome to the forum .

I take it you have a friend or relative who is on pw.,and suggested you join ? 

A little bit more info about your self and the background to the questions would help .

Im interested  as i had to do a similar gcse questionaire many many moons ago .

18 hours ago, charlotte23.m@hotmail.com said:

Hello, for my DT GCSE i am doing a project on countryside gates and stiles access for the elderly especially but also for all ages. If possible i have some questions, could anyone possibly answer them to help withmy research and data?

The questions are:

• What is your age? 71

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles? Daily

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over? No

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles? No

Why do you go on walks? Exercise

How often do you walk? Daily

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles? No

As requested by others, could you please tell us your motive or reason behind this, your first post.

OB

Would also be interested to know if you have any other surveys going to land owners asking questions like 

do you find walkers leaving your gates open 

do you have livestock chased/harmed and or crop damage from walkers 

do you find walkers miles away from the path 

do you find walkers often leave bags of dog mess in your hedge 

go you find remains of picnics and rubbish adjacent to the pathways

would walkers benefit from bins being situated on styles

just to create a balanced survey  

19 hours ago, charlotte23.m@hotmail.com said:

The questions are:

What is your age? 53

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles? weekly

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over? no

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles? no

Why do you go on walks? exercise, dog walking , taking pictures, shooting

How often do you walk? Daily in an urban setting,and countryside every weekend

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles? That would mean carrying something else apart from my camera and lenses ,or my rucksack, no thanks

Thank you so much,

Charlotte

15 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Would also be interested to know if you have any other surveys going to land owners asking questions like 

Doesn't really fit with her school project on the use and access of stiles by people, particularly the elderly and if a device of some sort (it's a design technology gcse, so this I'm guessing is the research part) would help. 

23 hours ago, Old farrier said:

As with Old Farrier.  I am in the countryside almost every day, not walking for pleasure as such but because I have various things to do there.  I have never found access points on the areas I visit a problem but as said the problem of walkers with dogs loose in particular is a serious problem and they ignore any signs put up and they continue to wander away from very well defined and marked paths and I have witnessed their dogs chasing wild life on numerous occasions  Yes, it would be nice to have a few details of your own background.  I'm closing on 80yrs and have not experienced any difficulty in access on the footpaths crossing my area.  The galvanised gates designed specifically for footpaths are excellent BUT who should pay for them ?    Hope your survey includes all this information so there is a balanced result.

44 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Bit strange as gcses - they've just got the results. And school hasn't started yet so how would you know what this year's project is 🤔

Way back when I did my gcse DT I got a good third of the project work done over the summer holiday before starting back for final year. We effectively designed our own projects with a little guidance at the end of the spring term of the penultimate year then were expected to start final year with the bulk of the non workshop stuff completed.

Im not elderly and have never had issues with stiles. 

8 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Doesn't really fit with her school project on the use and access of stiles by people, particularly the elderly and if a device of some sort (it's a design technology gcse, so this I'm guessing is the research part) would help. 

Well as she’s not bothered to check back after the initial post 🤔

Personally find rubbish more Of a problem than styles  

Edited by Old farrier

On 27/08/2019 at 12:40, charlotte23.m@hotmail.com said:

The questions are:

What is your age?69

How frequently do you come into contact with gates and stiles?weekly

Sometimes are the stiles hard to get over?no

Have you ever not been able to access somewhere because of the stiles?no

Why do you go on walks?i like walking i like walking

How often do you walk?daily

Would you consider using a light weight portable object to help you get over gates and stiles?no

Thank you so much,

Charlotte

Most issues is land owners or councils not keeping them clear, but that's then normally down to frustration of finding gates open and livestock all over the place, litter is a big problem and also straying off the footpath and trespass onto land. 

I find no issues with styles or gates when out and about but I'm in my 30's and all my joints work as they should. 

23 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Good post OF.

Yet to receive any response from Charlotte !!

OB

Hello,

just to answer some questions. 

This is for my GCSE next year, we started the project last year and I’ve moved onto the research but over summer. This survey is to gather some information about people who visit the countryside daily.

to answer the most common question, what do I mean by a lightweight device, I was thinking of making a product to help Ederle people who struggle to get over the stiles as the steps are to high so some sorts of foldable or collapsible step.

furthermore, my grandparents own a farm so I have already talked to them about things like gates being left open by walkers.

I've been checking the responses on a daily however was unable to log in, that is why I have not been replying however I appreciate all your answers and it has helped me grately  and given me an on-site in to different problems you all face. Thanks once more,

Charlotte 

Thank you for your reply 

just to say had you put this in your initial post and introduction your responses would have been different 

few more questions 

do you have a spell check? 

Elderly

insight 

The biggest problem with the countryside access is for the disabled not necessarily the elderly  

look forward to seeing your small folding step with a long handle as people with disabilities can struggle with bending down to pick up objects on the ground  

best of luck with the gcse 

mod 

9 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thank you for your reply 

just to say had you put this in your initial post and introduction your responses would have been different 

few more questions 

do you have a spell check? 

Elderly

insight 

The biggest problem with the countryside access is for the disabled not necessarily the elderly  

look forward to seeing your small folding step with a long handle as people with disabilities can struggle with bending down to pick up objects on the ground  

best of luck with the gcse 

mod 

OF,

Regarding Charlotte's non use of spell check, you missed out -:

'too high' not 'to high'

and

'greatly' not 'grately'

I assume that schools no longer teach spelling within the GCSE curriculum :whistling:.

OB 'The Pedant'.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

OF,

Regarding Charlotte's non use of spell check, you missed out -:

'too high' not 'to high'

and

'greatly' not 'grately'

I assume that schools no longer teach spelling within the GCSE curriculum :whistling:.

OB 'The Pedant'.

I know I missed a few but I’m not taking gcse 

Anyone who sends a letter for a job on my firm with such obvious spelling mistakes and no thought to checking 

is instantly discarded 

some lessons can be taught others have to be learned 

to some my posts on this may seem a tad harsh 

however very shortly Charlotte will be entering the workplace and the real world it’s full of disappointment 

get used to it now 

all the best 

of 

21 hours ago, charlotte23.m@hotmail.com said:

Hello,

just to answer some questions. 

This is for my GCSE next year, we started the project last year and I’ve moved onto the research but over summer. This survey is to gather some information about people who visit the countryside daily.

to answer the most common question, what do I mean by a lightweight device, I was thinking of making a product to help Ederle people who struggle to get over the stiles as the steps are to high so some sorts of foldable or collapsible step.

furthermore, my grandparents own a farm so I have already talked to them about things like gates being left open by walkers.

I've been checking the responses on a daily however was unable to log in, that is why I have not been replying however I appreciate all your answers and it has helped me grately  and given me an on-site in to different problems you all face. Thanks once more,

Charlotte 

For whats its worth charlotte, why have styles ? there are "self closing" gates already out there,  you could have bins, but remember they have to be emptied and animal proof, and that cost's money, personally i would like dog owners to practise the stick and flick method of poo disposal, rather than leaving a plastic bag hanging on the fence... good luck