D rail....anyone tried it?

Scully

Right, where to start? An explanation perhaps. Started off donkeys years ago shooting clays and did ok, to the point where I enjoyed it immensely but not as often as I would have liked. Anyhow, when I got into game shooting it developed to the stage where it was the only type of shooting I wanted to do and that's what happened; shooting clays only on very rare occasions. 

Now I have no mortgage and don't need to work as flat out as possible and both kids in uni', I found myself drifting back into clays after a mate talked me into it a couple of years ago. Initially I enjoyed it immensely ( and still do ) but the shine has dulled at the moment due to an eye issue. I found my clay shooting very very inconsistent, and my optician subsequently confirmed what I was starting to suspect, namely that my eye sight had changed and I had developed an astigmatism and not necessarily as a result of that, a left master eye nonetheless. For a while I tried to ignore it, and even tried a slightly under power prescription in my left contact lens, the theory being, so my optician explained, that my brain would compensate. It didn't really work, and despite being more than happy with my game shooting, my clay shooting has deteriorated to the point where it has to be addressed.

I've been visiting Warren Gill quite a few times this summer, and the coach has told me I really need to 'shut that left eye', and as reluctant as I am to do it, I found it works....to a degree. I shot one stand in particular on my first visit and straighted it, both eyes open. Shot it again and missed them all, both eyes open. Shot it again with my left eye shut and straighted it. See what I mean about inconsistent! I did more or less the same on the high midi yesterday. 

Now I'm not saying that a right master eye is going to result in me being the next world champion, far from it as I have many faults to straighten out in addition, but the time has come for me to seriously address this issue so at least I have a levelish playing field on which to build. 

I've looked online at the D-Rail, and heard a lot of positive things about it, but thus far have been sceptical, but am now willing to try anything, and a woman mate and me sometimes shoot with at Southwaite, has said she has developed the same problem so bought a D-Rail, and is raving about it. Anyone tried one? I'm at the stage now where I'm getting one, ( positive or negative responses ) but just wondered if any other members had tried it. Cheers. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

So you've shot with one eye closed and both open. Have you tried with both shut?

I know nothing of D-Rail I'm afraid so my contribution is restricted to the above.

But I do hope you are successful Scully.

😀 I did consider it at one point yesterday! Thanks. 👍

15 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

There is one for sale on the shootclay forum for a bit of a saving over the new price. Might save you some money if you decide to give it a go.

http://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/22885-for-sale-bh-eye-dominance-rail-aluminum-£65-worth-£10495/

Thankyou. Very strange.🤔  I've just recently read a review by that very person ( the seller ) in which he states it helped his shooting a lot! 😀 

Try some opaque tape over your off eye, only the size of your thumbnail and see what you think. At the end of the day all these gizmos and gadgets are fine but being shooters we know we should be looking at the target not end of the gun. Once we start looking at clay in relation to the bead the gun will have the start stop effect along its flight path.

Hi Sully just watched a youtube on it the Ben Husthwaite guy ,  i only have one good eye . Was born with very little sight in my left eye . From what i can understand what he is saying that a person with both good eyes when you close one eye , the end if the gun moves  . To be honest i do close my left eye . But i am not sure at what point do i closes it . Do i closes it as i call pull . Or do i closes it at the point of pulling the trigger . On a daily basis  when i am doing some things i do close my left eye . I must do this automatically. Typing this both eyes are open . I suppose  over the years my brain has worked things out and it tells me when to closes it . Strange how we do things automatically  . Its only when we stop and think for a minute , we start to  examine  things we are doing . I do hope you get sorted . Keep us informed how you get on. 

2 hours ago, unico1 said:

Try some opaque tape over your off eye, only the size of your thumbnail and see what you think. At the end of the day all these gizmos and gadgets are fine but being shooters we know we should be looking at the target not end of the gun. Once we start looking at clay in relation to the bead the gun will have the start stop effect along its flight path.

I know I should, but I don’t wear shooting glasses, so have nothing to tape anything over....maybe I’ll start. 

I’m with you on the looking at the target point. 

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Hi Sully just watched a youtube on it the Ben Husthwaite guy ,  i only have one good eye . Was born with very little sight in my left eye . From what i can understand what he is saying that a person with both good eyes when you close one eye , the end if the gun moves  . To be honest i do close my left eye . But i am not sure at what point do i closes it . Do i closes it as i call pull . Or do i closes it at the point of pulling the trigger . On a daily basis  when i am doing some things i do close my left eye . I must do this automatically. Typing this both eyes are open . I suppose  over the years my brain has worked things out and it tells me when to closes it . Strange how we do things automatically  . Its only when we stop and think for a minute , we start to  examine  things we are doing . I do hope you get sorted . Keep us informed how you get on. 

Thanks, will post results on here. 👍

Have a read of the long post I made on the subject of Master Eye and gadgets (again if necessary) you will find that not everyone needs a gadget to overcome the issue but you do need to believe that not everything written in books or spoken by famous and/or knowledgable people is necessarily true or the be all and end all. If I could sell my non gadget technique I'm sure I'd be telling everyone it's the best. 

I have shouldered guns equipped with the D Rail and even before doing so knew there is no reason for it not to work, it is similar to the concept of the Easyhit, the reason the latter is not universally popular is because the item is not well executed, essentially it is too large of a blob and prone to slight curvy movements with heat which can be off putting. I personally think the D Rail is also too big of a blob and no brighter than the Easyhit despite loud protestations from the makers. But what I think (or those who don't get on with theirs and sell them on for that matter) is irrelevant, it is whether you happen to get on with it enough to make fitting it a worthwhile exercise. Results are what matter and the only way to know if something works is to analyse ones true averages before and after, allowing a suitable acclimatisation period of course. 

When it comes to Master Eye problems there is no alternative to trying ALL avenues, the last one you try may happen to be the best fix for you. I have a SP which I'd be happy to send you FOC, where the D Rail and Easyhit are visible colour "beads" the SP is a much more subtle (reminder) of which barrel the pellets come out from, as such I would describe it as an excellent way of training to learn to shoot both eyes open without any gadgets eventually. The important thing with all these gadgets (as well as my own gadget-less technique) is that you must persevere for a good few weeks, it's pointless shooting 50 birds and "deciding" that it's no good and doesn't work, master eye issues don't have same day quick fixes. 

I accept it's not a brilliantly apt example but if you were to be forced to live abroad and drive on the right it would take you many weeks to stop hating it, but after 20 years if you then came back home you'd "hate" it here ! At least for a couple of weeks. 

Thanks Hamster. Believe me, I doubt there are many more sceptical than me regarding gadgets and sales pitch, but having tried all ‘none gadget’ methods I am now at the stage where I feel I have little choice if I’m to continue shooting clays. 

Thanks for your kind offer, but will give the D rail a whirl first, especially as I know someone who has first hand experience of it and is singing it’s praises.

I've sourced a supplier at a localish  clay ground, so will post my experiences after a lengthy period with the D rail.

Thanks again. 👍

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks Hamster. Believe me, I doubt there are many more sceptical than me regarding gadgets and sales pitch, but having tried all ‘none gadget’ methods I am now at the stage where I feel I have little choice if I’m to continue shooting clays. 

Thanks for your kind offer, but will give the D rail a whirl first, especially as I know someone who has first hand experience of it and is singing it’s praises.

I've sourced a supplier at a localish  clay ground, so will post my experiences after a lengthy period with the D rail.

Thanks again. 👍

One of the routes I've known some very decent shots take is that of placing either a dot or in some way "clouding" a specific section of their shooting glasses. The concept is very simple and it does work but as you yourself mentioned earlier it's only possible if you wear glasses, as much as I hate wearing them myself, they make some sense on safety grounds and providing you find the right one the lenses can be pretty damn clear too. 

Scully I have astigmatism in both eyes but it’s worse in my right. Like you I have tried quite a few solutions over the years as although I am firmly right eye dominant I find my left eye takes over on some shots especially crossers for  some reason. I am currently using those little opaque circular stickers that go on the lens of your glasses. Of all the solutions I’ve tried these actually seem to work well. Might be worth a try?

The d rail will work for some and not for others, likewise with all the various gadgets.

All i would caution is beware of the power of the ‘cult of Ben’ before you part with your cash, look at the SP device, easy hit beads, the d rail, the many variations of ‘the fence’, etc and decide what you want to try.

Without a doubt Ben is a top class shooter and coaches a great many people, he has also honed his social media profile such that he is revered by some and the clamour to sing his praises for association with his name is big, hence the volume around the product and him is loud.

If people speak out against him or his product his group of acolytes are happy to attack en mass, so most bite their tongue.

Is it the best product on the market? According to Ben and his followers yes; Is there anything at all objective in making that claim? No.  Of course it might well be the best or more importantly the best for you. 

Remember if someone has spunked out £50 for a bit of plastic or £100 for a bit of aluminium they want to justify their own expenditure so will say it’s great, there are not many who will say ‘I was taken in by social media hype’ to spend a wedge of cash on something that makes no difference.

11 minutes ago, grrclark said:

The d rail will work for some and not for others, likewise with all the various gadgets.

All i would caution is beware of the power of the ‘cult of Ben’ before you part with your cash, look at the SP device, easy hit beads, the d rail, the many variations of ‘the fence’, etc and decide what you want to try.

Without a doubt Ben is a top class shooter and coaches a great many people, he has also honed his social media profile such that he is revered by some and the clamour to sing his praises for association with his name is big, hence the volume around the product and him is loud.

If people speak out against him or his product his group of acolytes are happy to attack en mass, so most bite their tongue.

Is it the best product on the market? According to Ben and his followers yes; Is there anything at all objective in making that claim? No.  Of course it might well be the best or more importantly the best for you. 

Remember if someone has spunked out £50 for a bit of plastic or £100 for a bit of aluminium they want to justify their own expenditure so will say it’s great, there are not many who will say ‘I was taken in by social media hype’ to spend a wedge of cash on something that makes no difference.

I couldn't have put any of that better myself. 

It's sad but in truth the mass hysterics and groupie idolatry effect of his fan base actually detracts from his appeal which is essentially built on solid, sound knowledge and results. 

The fan base includes a few area suppliers so no surprise anything other than blushing admiration is met with instant derision and often ridiculed. 

32 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I'm not really a fan of BH to be honest, and I'm certainly not a 'cult' follower of anyone. The only thing which has swayed me ( besides a generous lump of desperation ) is that I personally know someone who has tried it and she has said it has changed her shooting for the better......she wasn't a bad shot to begin with but was clearly as frustrated as me with her consistency. Like I said in a previous post, I'm a pretty cynical person when it comes to gimmicks to improve ones shooting. I can only try it and report back; believe me it will be an honest report. 🙂

Edited by Scully

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

I'm not really a fan of BH to be honest, and I'm certainly not a 'cult' follower of anyone. The only thing which has swayed me ( besides a generous lump of desperation ) is that I personally know someone who has tried it and she has said it has changed her shooting for the better......she wasn't a bad shot to begin with but was clearly as frustrated as me with her consistency. Like I said in a previous post, I'm a pretty cynical person when it comes to gimmicks to improve ones shooting. I can only try it and report back; believe me it will be an honest report. 🙂

I genuinely hope it gives you the answer you’re looking for.

I know a few folk who use it, i know his mate who is the Scottish distributor, i know some who have tried it and didn’t get on with it, but i’ve no personal experience of using it.

Bunnykiller on here has one.

15 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I genuinely hope it gives you the answer you’re looking for.

I know a few folk who use it, i know his mate who is the Scottish distributor, i know some who have tried it and didn’t get on with it, but i’ve no personal experience of using it.

Bunnykiller on here has one.

Many thanks.

On 27/08/2019 at 22:03, Scully said:

I know I should, but I don’t wear shooting glasses, so have nothing to tape anything over....maybe I’ll start. 

I’m with you on the looking at the target point. 

Thanks, will post results on here. 👍

Your starter for ten. Assuming that you've got some glasses, get some stationary (WH Smith) type sticky patches about 1/2" in Dia (this can be fine tuned to suit). Play with one until most of the sticky has gone and place it somewhat near the top righthand corner on the outside of the left hand lens as you look from the front of the glasses. Practice mounting - and don't forget a overhead shot - so that by moving the now easily removed patch around, it blocks out the view of end of the barrels with the left eye just as the gun comes into the shoulder. Again, this can be adjusted to suit. What you'll find is that you maintain 3D vision (the one big problem with closing one eye) until the gun is mounted and you're about to pull the trigger. Now get a new patch and stick it over the existing trial one but on the inside and remove t'other. Now go shoot and forget all about your eyes and see how you get on.

Another one to try is if say you are a right handed shooter with you’re left thumb that supports the fore end have that pointing up towards the sky in such a way it prevents the off eye from seeing the end of the gun, like a screen so only you’re master eye can see a clear route to the muzzles.

19 minutes ago, stu64 said:

Hi Scully, would your friend let you try her d rail before you bought one? not sure what this d rail thing is tbh. presumably its a hi viz bead you only see with your right eye?

I'm not sure how practical that is. I spoke to someone who supplies them the other day, and he said once they're stuck on a gun, they're stuck pretty well. 'So not really suited to swapping from gun to gun then?' Says I. 'Mmmm, not sure really', says he. 🤔