Chapuis Arms v’s Beretta

Alex1Nat2

I’ve a big birthday coming up & always wanted to treat myself to a 687EELL.

Ive  both 12 & 20b 687’s already (looking for a 28b if anyone has one?)

just seen a very nice Chapuis Arms C40 which is very sensibly priced & nearly a grand less than an EELL I want to spend(£4K max)

anyone have experience of both to offer advice please.

i did go to the French Gamefair at Chambord a couple of years ago & saw the Chapuis craftsmen working on actions, stocks etc & was very impressed.

Just been reading below on their website, seems Beretta have a big interest in Chapuis, I am also in the EELL or what else market. I do like the Chapuis C40.

The Beretta Holding Group, world leader in the hunting and defense arms industry, have strengthened their position in their field of activity on the French market but also internationally.

COMMUNIQUÉ DE PRESSE

Major synergies between Beretta and Chapuis Armes: Chapuis Armes has unique and patented "know-how" in the manufacture of rifled weapons. The Chapuis range of over-under and side by side Express rifles, ROLS straight pull rifles and Manurhin revolvers complete the Beretta Holding Group. 

The artisanal and semi-artisanal manufacture of over-under, side by side fine and tailored shotguns and rifles is a complement to the Beretta Holding Group product lines, which are keen to preserve the traditional armory and gunsmithing. Chapuis Arms will be able to develop for export by benefiting from the Beretta Holding network abroad while remaining established on the French market with its own distribution network.

Synergies in research and development, sourcing raw materials and semi-finished products, engineering, will enable Chapuis to strengthen its market segment.

About Chapuis Armes: Chapuis Armes is a French family company created after the war, located in Saint Bonnet le Château France, in Loire county cradle of the French armory
Chapuis Armes was labeled "Entreprise du Patrimoine Vivant" in 2012. Vincent and David Chapuis took over from René Chapuis, who was a forerunner in the manufacture of industrialized and semi- artisanal Express rifles in the 1990s.

The manufacture of the famous Manurhin revolvers was integrated in 1998, continuing a French brand recognized by law enforcement and sports shooters. Chapuis Express rifles, acclaimed by big game hunters, have evolved, incorporating a patented system of precision adjustment while keeping their classic design.

The launch of the ROLS range of straight pull rifles with unique characteristics is a major challenge and allows Chapuis Armes to count among the innovative manufacturers in a significant market with products highly appreciated by hunters and shooters. The manufacture of Classic, Tailor-made and Grand Luxe smooth and rifled barrel weapons is a major asset of the Chapuis company which satisfies the greatest number while respecting the French gunsmith tradition.

I had a 12 bore 687 EELL with 26" barrels, double trigger, fixed choke and SHS which I bought new and mainly for pigeon hide use but also walked up. I hadn't really expected to get a canon. Got shot of it. Have now got a Chapuis having the same spec's. Although apparently things are changing towards driven, you have to remember that much French shooting by tradition has been walked up and therefore weight is a consideration (eg, Darne). Consequently, if you really need weight for whatever reason then the Beretta, but if not, then the Chapuis. Having said that, irrespective of weight, the Cahapuis is the better gun for my money. Currently, the Italians are very good at fashion, whereas the French do style - just ask yourself which of the two is always in vogue

I eventually got round to looking at the Chapuis in the flesh so to speak at York guns. Not for me i'm afraid . As I said before i'm Browning through and through but compared a EELL they had in to the Chapuis. A far better gun in my opinion was the Beretta.  Better quality and more character than the Chapuis, which felt to  me like a Turkish gun.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

The Cahpuis guns I have seen appear to be quite well made but lacking in any finesse .Basically "plain Janes ".Like many French guns either really fancy or dull .

Gunman what would you recommend ? 

I like the bespoke aspects of the Chapuis, the new Beretta eell are 14k, ouch that's a lot compared.

Edited by figgy

One man's meat...... and to each his own which is as it should be and terrible it would be if it wasn't thus. Mind you, looks as though I got my figures wrong. If one is going to look at a Chapuis with a EELL in mind, you need to be looking at the Artisan 135 and not my Super Orion C35.

l've not been 'with it' at all for most of this year and missed this piece of news. I wonder why Beretta have moved on Chapuis - is it just possible that they've recognised what they've perceived what could be a threat?

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

That is close, 29 or 30” multi choke with close to a 14 1/4 pistol grip stock. 

Greenfields have a 29” Jubillie for £6750. It’s really nice and fixed choke 

Small local shop near me has a 200 cartridge used Rizzini round body 30” £3750

Edited by dodeer

On 28/08/2019 at 17:19, figgy said:

Gunman what would you recommend ? 

I like the bespoke aspects of the Chapuis, the new Beretta eell are 14k, ouch that's a lot compared.

Sorry in the delay .To honest I have only seen the Chapuis so dont know what they are like inside or there reliability so I would have to say unless you hear otherwise  the Beretta .

Not saying the Chapuis is of any lesser quality or reliability but I can only go on my experience .