cider

sam triple

Just put a small batch of cider down from a batch of wind blown cookers and eating apples ,so many takes on how to brew it so just went for the easiest option , the mrs was o the cheese greater pulping them as she burnt her food mixer out trying to make Nutella (but that's another story ) I pressed them got  just over a gallon of juice added yeast yesterday so now its time to wait and see what happens

Did you use Champagne yeast? Gives the best ferment on cider.

You'll need another fermenter to transfer to after a couple of weeks to filter it (Depends how cloudy/bitty you like your cider!) - I tend to filter 4 times so you can see through it.

Just keep everything as sterile as possible.

Brilliant making booze for pennies - Makes it taste delicious!!

On 28/08/2019 at 13:32, sam triple said:

I believe it was champagne yeast we used ,got a few demijohns to transfer it too , will need to get filter papers though

Go and get a square metre of unbleached muslin cloth from Dunelm.  It'll do what you need and can be washed and reused.

As far as yeast goes I dont like champagne yeast for cider as it ferments very dry.  That's fine as long as you know what your blend is likely to come out like, but if you dont and you get a very thorough ferment you can end up with cider that will pucker your mouth like a cats bum.  I use homebrew cider yeast and then sweeten with non -fermentable sweetener if required.

13 hours ago, Zapp said:

Go and get a square metre of unbleached muslin cloth from Dunelm.  It'll do what you need and can be washed and reused.

As far as yeast goes I dont like champagne yeast for cider as it ferments very dry.  That's fine as long as you know what your blend is likely to come out like, but if you dont and you get a very thorough ferment you can end up with cider that will pucker your mouth like a cats bum.  I use homebrew cider yeast and then sweeten with non -fermentable sweetener if required.

It was usual brewing yeast we used and woman had some muslin so transferred it to demijohn, like I said learning curve so will see how it goes 

2 hours ago, daveboy said:

Don't forget the Paracetamol 😂

Got  those in already 

Trial and error is the best way to learn. I don't know if you have one already but it is worth investing in a hydrometer, (cheap as chips on the bay). Cider really needs to have a specific Gravity (SG) of 1070 for it to keep longer after the fermentation is completed (SG1000). You simply add caster sugar into the pressed apple juice until it's disolved to increase the gravity, it's not rocket science.

Some purists will faint at the thought of doing such a thing but I've found it allows you to make a cider to a known alcohol content when using a variety of apples which aren't that ripe / sweet.

Edited by woods&wurz

2 hours ago, woods&wurz said:

Trial and error is the best way to learn. I don't know if you have one already but it is worth investing in a hydrometer, (cheap as chips on the bay). Cider really needs to have a specific Gravity (SG) of 1070 for it to keep longer after the fermentation is completed (SG1000). You simply add caster sugar into the pressed apple juice until it's disolved to increase the gravity, it's not rocket science.

Some purists will faint at the thought of doing such a thing but I've found it allows you to make a cider to a known alcohol content when using a variety of apples which aren't that ripe / sweet.

👍👍

10 hours ago, sam triple said:

Would you drink this ? Came out looking a little orange ,I’m sure I used apples 🤔 but it’s doing it’s thing bubbling away merrily 

ECD2E2BC-3D28-40B4-8E4D-7DCD9D9F320F.jpeg

I think you may have the demijohn to full, you should not have the contents coming up into the airlock.

I'd agree with Old un, the level wants to be down roughly where the handles start. It looks fine, it'll start off like this and then change colour as it goes. If it's bubbling then it's working, if you source a hydrometer then when the SG is around 1000 then she'll be ready to bottle. It will clear out as it goes, I use pectolase to help it clear out more ( again true scrumpy brewers will dispute this). Once it's clearer you'll notice a healthy amount of sediment on the bottom. the next step is to sypon the fluid of this (called racking) and into a clean demijohn (or 5 litre plastic water bottle) you can then top it up back to the previous level with more pressed apple juice or cooled boiled water. Once its all done and you get to bottling i'd use the swing top (grolsh style) bottles, if it needs sweetning then pop about half a teaspoon of canderel sweetner into the bottle before you fill it. DO NOT use sugar as this will kick of fermentation again which could cause your bottles to blow due to the CO2 being produced, as already suggested above by Zapp

Drop the fill in the demijohn to just below the glass handles (bit lower if you have a vigorous ferment) then fill the airlock bubbles with clean water about half way up, when gas starts coming out it will push it to one bubble (like the video) oxygen/air is your enemy, and so are fruit fly’s.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...