cider

sam triple

My top tips (for future) is don’t use many cookers to make cider. The acidity carries over too much, a quarter of cookers is absolute max for me. 

A mix of varieties is better than just one.

I find a natural ferment is better than adding yeast

Be patient, let it ferment at its own pace and only bottle once it has been settled for some time.

if it does turn into something you are not too pleased with you can always use it for cooking, especially pork.

On 27/12/2019 at 16:24, Walker570 said:

Did you ever get to try the 'Scrumpy' Cider sold draft in pubs back in the 60s ?   Now that was raw.  Had a serious effect on your leg movements as well as other 'movements'.

Happy memories.

Go to a farm shop over near Lewes East Sussex got 250 or so ciders in there some serious head juice in there 

On 28/12/2019 at 10:22, 39TDS said:

My top tips (for future) is don’t use many cookers to make cider. The acidity carries over too much, a quarter of cookers is absolute max for me. 

A mix of varieties is better than just one.

I find a natural ferment is better than adding yeast

Be patient, let it ferment at its own pace and only bottle once it has been settled for some time.

if it does turn into something you are not too pleased with you can always use it for cooking, especially pork.

Ok thanks for that got another 2 batches on the go I’ll leave them a bit longer 

Sam, cider goes through another process in the bottle called malolactic fermentation.  The harsh Malic acid giving it that raw taste converts to lactic acid which is softer.  Give it time to age and you should see a change in flavour..

5 hours ago, Jonty said:

Sam, cider goes through another process in the bottle called malolactic fermentation.  The harsh Malic acid giving it that raw taste converts to lactic acid which is softer.  Give it time to age and you should see a change in flavour..

Cheers for advice 👍👍