2nd hand Shogun - what to look out for?

Bumble

I’ve been offered a Shogun by a mate for a very good price. It’s a 2002 plate 2.5L diesel commercial model, currently owned by his dad. It’s got 87,000 on the clock (all on road), FSH and he’s pretty certain it’s had the cam belt done too (but needs to check paperwork). 

As I’m not very mechanically minded, is there anything Shogun specific that I need to be looking at when I go over to check it out? 

Edited by Bumble

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Rust on the underneath. 

Check where the running boards are mounted, and the running boards themselves, I've just done some on a 2003 SWB, very expensive to replace. 

Cheers. Is that just a case of having a prod with a screwdriver & seeing it it goes though? 

2 hours ago, Bumble said:

Cheers. Is that just a case of having a prod with a screwdriver & seeing it it goes though? 

Take a decent torch, there more than likely be obvious holes in the support brackets for the running boards, if they are really bad, the board will sag and break when you step on it, there might be patches welded onto to it. 

The metal parts are available from mitzy, but are about £500 each! 

LWB ones are available non genuine @£125 but need modifying for SWB. 

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Take a decent torch, there more than likely be obvious holes in the support brackets for the running boards, if they are really bad, the board will sag and break when you step on it, there might be patches welded onto to it. 

The metal parts are available from mitzy, but are about £500 each! 

LWB ones are available non genuine @£125 but need modifying for SWB. 

Me and my brother replaced mine at a fraction of the price...bet they are still there when the rest of the jeep has rotted...

8 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

Me and my brother replaced mine at a fraction of the price...bet they are still there when the rest of the jeep has rotted...

Did you make the brackets? , I looked at doing that, but the mitsy parts ones (non genuine} work out alright with a bit of chopping. 

this came on 24hrs ago.

I know its an older model your're being offered but this give a flavour of the shogun. 

only thing I've heard about the older ones is the fuel pumps are prone to failing.

good trucks off road

f

Edited by Fuddster

I have the 2005 Shogun Sport 2.5Td

Rust underneath - literally every part of the underside. I recently replaced the guard panels as they were completely done and held on by mud! Check the running boards MOT men seem to spend a long time examining them for faults. 

Issues I have had:-

balance belt snapped - removed it hasn’t had an issue running without it for 4 years.

fuel filler tube rotten- was letting air into the system making it hard to start - common fault - required replacement fuel tank.

brakes- if brake pads haven’t been replaced in years (due to low mileage) I found every calliper pin snapped on extraction resulting in in replacement carrier being needed.

Door open sensors - drivers door one broke and effected like 4 electrical systems but an easy fix off the bay.

I am a big fan of the Shogun. Doesn’t bother me that I don’t go above 60mph in it, the body roll and road noise are part of the fun. Easy enough worked on in the drive to. 

• 1 month later...