Dog barking

snow white

Hi lads our 5 year old springer as started barking when we going out she did it last year on last couple of days when we get  her out of motor to go to pegs.

Any advice please as I don’t want her to do it this year she as only just started doing it again in this week we shout at her and she stops but don’t want to do that on shoot as I don’t think keeper will be very happy.

I think you have to be very firm as soon as the back door is opened. Don't even let her start.   The word NO!! and transmit this through the lead, in no uncertain terms, right from the offset, might just do it. Make it quite clear your not happy.  I don't think a couple of short sharp "NO's" will upset the keeper anymore than a persistently barking dog, at least he will know you are trying to stop it.

Depending on her temperament you could try a gentler approach.

Have some high-value treats ready – small and soft so they can be eaten quickly.

When the dog is barking, just wait for her to stop, as soon as she does give her a treat and say good girl and give praise.

Gradually increase the time she must be quiet before rewarding her.

If she starts barking, take a few steps backward and make the duration less.

Once she seems to be understanding, add the word- quiet when she barks, but be consistent.

you could also try returning her to the car when she barks, driving it home with the word- quiet.

Edited by old'un

JDog that’s our thoughts we don’t want to chastise her on a shoot I have in the past had a few words with people about the way they treat there dogs.

I think we can do it buy leaving her lead on her so we can grab it before she is out of motor it’s just excitement with her she is rearing to go even on last stand she is a springer full of coiled springs 

A firm NO! is not shouting at the dog. I see 5yr olds pulling stuff off supermarket shelves almost every week and all they get is.." Jason don't do that darling  Mummy will buy you an ice cream",    the poor kid has never learned the word NO.  I have the same feelings when I see dogs being thrashed and yelled at on a shoot. Had one seen swinging his spaniel by the ears when on his peg and when I kicked him out of the shoot he said he had read about it in a book written by a well know 'trainer'.   Short lead out of the car, first sign of a bark and a tightening of the lead and an almost 'hissed' NO!!

As said the shoot day is not the time to do it.   Best of luck because now it is going to be hard work but still achievable.  Give it a sweety and it may think it should bark a bit more.