Old stubble

Mice!

I don't usually post in here because i don't shoot pigeon, but we've been to Southport a couple of times in the last few weeks.Some of the fields have already been bailed, they were full of pigeons a few weeks ago and it was the same again today, stubble that is at least three weeks old and the fields were blue, they seemed to be in every field we passed.

I'd have thought the pigeons would have cleared those fields by now and moved to the other surrounding crops or natural foods available.

Is it likely no one is shooting them and disturbing them?

Any thoughts?

I have also noticed stubble fields busy with pigeons and very few folk out shooting them. 

I think many folk, both farmers and shooters alike are unsure about the GL terms of stubble shooting since the farse caused in spring.(if only people would read the terms of GL).

Good news for pigeons perhaps but winter rape crops could be in serious trouble.

13 hours ago, aga man said:

I have also noticed stubble fields busy with pigeons and very few folk out shooting them. 

I think many folk, both farmers and shooters alike are unsure about the GL terms of stubble shooting since the farse caused in spring.(if only people would read the terms of GL).

Good news for pigeons perhaps but winter rape crops could be in serious trouble.

I am not sure if the G L is the reason for the lack of pigeon shooters on the stubble fields , this time of the year a lot of Partridge chicks would be in the release pens and some would already be out on the stubble's , this would only be on land used for game shooting and that would mainly be on the bigger ones , we have got shoots near by that will start driven Partridge shooting next week , so with Pigeons doing very little harm on the stubble fields they are then left alone .

Also have we got as many devotee pigeon shooters as we once had ?  , with modern day living people can only devote so much time to shoot pigeons in , how many people have got the time to look around the area , then the odd days shooting , stocking up with cartridges ect , storing and selling the pigeons and trying to run a happy house hold with paying the bills and family commitments , I guess not that many .

P S.....Since P C have gone on his hols the reports on the medium to big bags have virtually dried up , and we know there are good numbers still around .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I am not sure if the G L is the reason for the lack of pigeon shooters on the stubble fields , this time of the year a lot of Partridge chicks would be in the release pens and some would already be out on the stubble's , this would only be on land used for game shooting and that would mainly be on the bigger ones , we have got shoots near by that will start driven Partridge shooting next week , so with Pigeons doing very little harm on the stubble fields they are then left alone .

Also have we got as many devotee pigeon shooters as we once had ?  , with modern day living people can only devote so much time to shoot pigeons in , how many people have got the time to look around the area , then the odd days shooting , stocking up with cartridges ect , storing and selling the pigeons and trying to run a happy house hold with paying the bills and family commitments , I guess not that many .

P S.....Since P C have gone on his hols the reports on the medium to big bags have virtually dried up , and we know there are good numbers still around .

That does make sense, I've been told before that a few folk have the shooting on land around there, but if their busy elsewhere the birds are being left alone.

I don't think there will be partridges down in the area but there could be?

I always treat shooting stubble fields as a thank you for looking after , or keeping an eye on the crop before it was combined .

You would have to be very lucky to ask a farmer to shoot his stubble fields if you have never been on his land before , some do, but to get permission I have found it to be the exception , rather than the rule .