Best calls on Foxpro

ShropshireSam

I have just bought a Foxpro inferno and interested what calls people rate.  Several areas have few/no rabbits so wondered if hare and rodent calls were likely to be better for these.  I know some work sometimes but wondered what people rated as the better calls.

AND my Inferno has a backlit screen but the buttons are not backlit so not visible in the dark -  is this faulty ... assumed buttons would be backlit as well.

I have a very old foxpro. Think it's a spitfire only holds about 20 calls. It is ideal like a kids toys. Big buttons that light up and very simple to use. Which is good for me lol. I can use it in dark without looking now or leave remote In my pocket and use it from there. 

I only use probably 6 calls of the foxpro. The mating calls are the biggest plus for me as I call a lot of my hand all year. I also use pheasant distress quite regularly. aswell as mouse squeaks and all rabbit hare distress. 

The calls are very dependent on time of year prey on the ground. No caller is going to bring unlimited instant success. But get out and try the calls but not too much. Or too loud

Edited by bumpy22

I have a fox pro wildfire with around 70 calls on it. You never know which one will work but I usually start with young rabbit distress in case one is close by. If nothing shows I try lots of different calls as just need to find the one they like,  mating calls are great in the winter. I also have good success with cub calls, lil Jack and chicken distress played loud gets them excited. There are no rules just play with it and enjoy the rewards. Bumpy advises quiet and not too often I am the opposite plenty calls and louder so just try what suits you. No right or wrong technique as long as Charlie comes for a look. 🦊

Agree with the 2 educated gents above. Depends entirely on the fox. Some come charging in, others run the opposite way. 

Mating calls work well in Late Dec-March, distress calls are very hit and miss. I have laughed at how some of the calls sound until I have foxes come in from 400 yards away. I have also had cases where I have tried most of the calls to get a fox within range to no avail and had to resort to the Mk1 hand caller. Problem is it gets cold and is awful to use once you pick a smelly vixen up with it :lol:

Good luck :good:

If your model has 'Mouse' on it, try that ! I only have the cheap little ICOtech GC101, but the mouse call has proven to be by far the best call on it, or my mates bigger posher model (that doesn't have the mouse call). Twice now I've had Charlie run in from distance (over 500yds) and actually try to attack the caller by jumping up at the fence post I've put it on.

1 hour ago, Longstrider said:

Umm .. Have you tried turning the volume up ?

Haha that's on full volume , I cant hear high pitched sounds. Comes from when I was younger and my mate used to shoot his unmoderated .243 off my shoulder 🤪

12 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

The amount of foxes he has shot I would imagine he is as deaf as a post

Pardon 😄😄😄😄

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

The amount of foxes he has shot I would imagine he is as deaf as a post

Its more of an age thing rather than the amount of foxes hes shot :lol:

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Haha that's on full volume , I cant hear high pitched sounds. Comes from when I was younger and my mate used to shoot his unmoderated .243 off my shoulder 🤪

Pardon 😄😄😄😄

Given your height Mark wouldnt a bipod have been as much use :lol:

Urine extraction mode turned to 'Off' ;)  I too am a bit lacking in the hearing dept and often lose higher pitched noises but luckily can still hear my call on Mouse.

I grew up in the company of an old fella who had his explosives licence and we would regularly go off here and there blasting whatever needed shifting. Used to think we'd had a good day when I went home with my ears whistling. Got the same from a days pigeon shooting, 2 in the hide and no ear defenders so the ears whistled well at the end of the day. Now the damned things do it all the time (tinitus) and make hard work of conversation in noisy areas etc.

No-one seemed to think that hearing protection was needed 40 years ago. The most we did was to put our fingers in our ears for the really big bangs.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have the Foxpro inferno. I bought it a couple of days ago. Went out at night and couldn't believe they hadn't back-lit the buttons. It's not a fault but a massive oversight I'd have thought. What I've done with mine in put a single blob of superglue on the "Select" button.  This has raised it slightly, which helps as a starting point for navigating the other buttons. Hope this helps you.